Furminator Not Helping!

Jenna McElhinneyJenna McElhinney Marblehead/SalemMember Posts: 11
edited 4 July, 2008 in Grooming
Mummy got the furminator and I hate it! I won't let her brush me without a fight. Last night Daddy had to hold me down and brush me quick, I cried the whole time! :( He got a lot of hair off of me and I look like I lost weight! But I still shed alot, should they be furminating me multiple times a week just to keep up with me? Mummy thought about shaving me because I cough up such big hair balls she is scared I will choke on one. I hate the hairball medicine she tries to give me too. I am not a long haired cat, as you can see in my pictures!

Comments

• Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 1 July, 2008
    I have the same problem-I HATE getting brushed!!! I also have short hair-who would have thought I would shed more than my sisfur?
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 2 July, 2008
    Isabelle got a furminator a while back, and she too, wasn\'t thrilled with it, but survived! I\'d recommend short brushing sessions (even just 30 seconds) with distractions to keep her from totally freaking out. Give lots of praise and treats when done! Brush multiple times a week to get her used to it (even daily). Eventually the hope is that it becomes routine and not a big deal. ;c;
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Member Posts: 3
    edited 2 July, 2008
    I use a teflon comb during short sessions each day. Usually I distract them with a toy but I also let my kittens play with the comb for a bit too...I've seen spray products at the store that are supposed to help with shedding but I am not sure how well they work....
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 3 July, 2008
    Have you guys tried a Zoom Groom yet? Because it's the only thing that has ever worked for me (and I am a champion shedder for a DSH).
  • Michelle BlochMichelle Bloch Member Posts: 447
    edited 4 July, 2008
    I agree with Boris. You should look into a Zoom Groom. I have both the Zoom and also the Furminator, and I can only use the Furminator for several seconds a session. On the other hand, 3 of my 4 medium-long haired monsters will come and BEG me to Zoom them. They will run up and sprawl out on their belly like "Okay, Zoom me. Zoom me. ZOOM ME! Please!" When I'm done, I could make a pretty good sweater. :))