im sick and my mom is scared

Catherine MarinoCatherine Marino UrbannaMember Posts: 180
edited 26 July, 2008 in Get Well Soon
last night i was lethargic and and had discharge from my nose so my mom took me in to get checked out. i have never been sick a day in my life, i am 13 yrs old now. Mom is scared because i have most of the symptoms my sister had when she was diagnosed with nasal cancer in January. We lost Winnie 3 months ago and now mom is having to do the same things for me she knows she is crying prematurely but she\'s terrified. she did not expect to go though this again so soon let alone the exact same steps . We will get the bloodwork back tomorrow. Mom knows that this is not necessarily cancer that it maybe nothing to worry about she has learned alot about nasal problems recently but she worries about us

Comments

• Julie HopperJulie Hopper West ChicagoMember Posts: 106
    edited 24 June, 2008
    Hi there Kiddie, my mom knows EXACTLY what you are going through. My brother Caesar had lymphoma, and my cancer has reappeared, so I am scheduled for surgery on Friday. My mom is terrified as well, and we really hope all is totally GREAT with your blood work tomorrow. Keep us updated, and hang in there mom! Shadow, Caesar, Tiger, Seth, and Greenlee (and our mom!)
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 25 June, 2008
    I had a sinus infection a while back and I got to feeling really bad with it...could it be that or a URI? Kiddie, I'm purring that your bloodwork is good and you'll get well soon and I'm also purrring for a successful surgery for you, Shadow. Purrrs and Chirps, Christopher
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 25 June, 2008
    |:||:||:|
  • Catherine MarinoCatherine Marino UrbannaMember Posts: 180
    edited 25 June, 2008
    it is possable that it is an upper respitory infection but i have never had it in my life and i don\'t go outside but mom is hoping its something like that i am on clavamox just to be on the safe side vet also said that there is a possabilty that i might have sniffed someting up my nose but mom just did all of this with my sister and it turned out to be a tumor so she is being a worrywart of a mom right now you should see her right now she looks like she\'s about to climb the wall waiting for the vet to call with the results of the bloodwork my mom is not always the most patient person when it comes to things like this
  • Michelle DawsonMichelle Dawson BaltimoreMember Posts: 1,619
    edited 25 June, 2008
    Kiddie, Sending my angel purrs (those are the strongest purrs) your way, and hoping for some good news on the blood work. Waverly
  • Michelle DawsonMichelle Dawson BaltimoreMember Posts: 1,619
    edited 25 June, 2008
    Please keep us posted, Kiddie. We're all thinking of you. |:|
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 25 June, 2008
    Kiddie, I am sick too, so mom says she knows a little about what your mom is going through. Mom doesn't know what's wrong with me, but I haven't eaten in two days and keep vomiting, and I'm going in to the vet today, it's twice this week. I hope you just have an infection that can be made all better and leaves you alone. *purrs softly with you*
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 25 June, 2008
    Kiddie, my mom knows exactly how your mom feels. My mom panics easily and cannot wait for test results. She's been going through some scary medical things, herself, but has been through lymphoma with her kitty, Abbie, and a lump on my nose that Mommy thought was a tumor (it wasn't). I know it must be scary since your mommy went through a similar situation with your sister. Was she your actual sibling? I cannot imagine how unusual it would be for two kitties in the same household to have nasal cancer. Even if it is, maybe yours has been caught early. Tell your mommy to try to relax. She cannot do anything for you if she is spinning out of control. Mommy's vet actually gave her some good advice about this when she was so worried about the lump on my nose. She said that if Mommy was caught up in a panic attack, she couldn't make the best decisions for me, so Mommy needed to calm down and realize that her worrying would not affect the outcome - only the way she handled it. In my case, the lump was scar tissue that formed as a result of a tussle I had with Matilda. So, your problem could be equally benign. Still, Mommy knows how hard it is to take that vet's advice. So, she will be thinking of you and your Mommy and we will all be hoping and purring for good news.
    edited 25 June, 2008
    Thanks guys for your support it means alot mom still has not heard from vet and is worried that it means bad news b/c last time the vet waited as long as she could b/c she dreaded giving mom the bad news about my sister but she is putting her nervous energy to good use and is cleaning the house Binks no Winnie was not my real sister she was 2 yrs older then me we were just as close as sisters. Mom adopted us from the same shelter several months apart.
    edited 25 June, 2008
    well mom just talked to the vet and my bloodwork came back normal which is good but Winnie\'s bloodwork was normal also so now we just have to wait and see and watch me closely Mom feels some relief but she knows that not everything will show up on bloodwork so in the meantime i have to take these pills which i am not happy about by the way never had to do this before and if these symptoms don\'t clear up the next step will be to x-ray my head
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 25 June, 2008
    Kiddie, I'm glad your blood work was good. I know that it doesn't always paint the complete picture, though. When Abbie had lymphoma, her blood work kept coming back fine and Mommy had to press for more extensive testing. However, the fact that you were not biological siblings is probably a good indicator that you do not have the same nasal issues. I have never heard of something like that being caused by environmental factors (but am not medically trained). Maybe it could have been genetic, but since you aren't blood relatives, I'm sure it's probably just a URI. Waiting and watching are two of my Mommy's least favorite words. She wants action and answers. So, she knows how your Mommy is feeling now. One thing to watch out for is dehydration. If something is bothering your nose, it may be difficult for you to drink, which could contribute to your lethargy. Tell your mommy to check your neck skin to see if it snaps back into place after being pinched or if just sits tented up for a few seconds. If it is the latter, you could be dehydrated and need some fluids. I'll be purring for you!
  • Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    edited 25 June, 2008
    My family is purring for you Kiddie. Mama and I understand how your family is feeling. My brofur Peanut had nasal lymphoma. It sure makes Mama worry if any of us even as much as sneeze. The chances of it happening again to another kitty in the same family ( not blood related) are truly slim, but its in human nature to worry . We\'d like to give you and your mama a hug|:| Kiddie, could you have snuffled in some water? My late elder sisfur Muffin loved to drink from the faucet and one time she kind of got some water up her nose and/ or in her ear. She had a runny nose for about a week after that from a slight infection. Baytril took care of it pronto, but like your mama, ours was super worried having this occur not too long after Peanuts illness. But the big difference was of course the meds took fast care of it and it did not recur. Please keep us posted with reports of how you are doing. We will be purring for you to clear up fast so that your Mama can also feel some relief. Love and Hugs, Kiwi and the kitties from Maine
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 26 June, 2008
    Huggs and Purrs are coming your way and we\'ll keep them coming. Most of us carry the virus that causes URI\'s in our body, and it can become active at any time. It\'s more likely to happen if we get stressed and as we get older and our immune system isn\'t quite as strong as it once was. URI\'s are very treatable so, we hope that\'s all it is. Mom says she totally understands, she went thru almost three years of health problems with our Sister Heidi, and it tends to make you a little more nervous. Big Huggs |:||:||:||:||:||:| for all of you Gracie and Family
  • Sarah_PinkSarah_Pink Chapel HillMember Posts: 153 ✭✭
    edited 27 June, 2008
    Hugs and purrs from my family to yours. I hope everything turns out well for you and your mom.|:|
    edited 6 July, 2008
    well, i am off my meds now and we have not seen any more nasal drainage, so far. we are keeping our paws crossed that the meds were all that were needed. thank you guys for all of your support mom has really appreciated it
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 7 July, 2008
    %:D%%:D%%:D% I'm purrring that you continue to just get better and better! Purrrrs, Little Red
  • Dee FreyDee Frey Member Posts: 363
    edited 12 July, 2008
    I hope you are feeling better! I have had a lot of sinus infections because I am on immune suppressants and get occasional nasal discharges from that. Purrs! Aryeh
    edited 24 July, 2008
    Well we are not in the clear yet i did fine on the meds and it seemed to go away but i started sneezing and had more nasal discharge so mom took me in a couple of days ago and they had to sedate me so they could x-ray my head they ended up doing a full body x-ray since i was there and just to make sure there were no tumors else where they came back perfect nothing was in my nose (at least not visably at this point)and there were no tumors anywhere else (Yay!) the Doctor also scoped my nose while i was still napping and saw nothing. So now i am on clavamox for 2 weeks to see if that will take care of it. the doctor is now pretty confident that it is just a kitty cold. Which mom is hoping and praying for because she says she will have a nervous breakdown if one more of her cats gets cancer
  • RebbyRebby OceanMember Posts: 3,339 ✭✭
    edited 26 July, 2008
    Hi Kiddie! Sending you a whole lot of purrrs! We hope you feel better soon!! Love, Kody and Princess