Matted Hair?!

Nastassia YalleyNastassia Yalley sherman OaksMember Posts: 39
edited 12 August, 2008 in Grooming
I am a short hair kitteh so I don't usually have this problem. But lately the new kitty (Izzie) and I play and bite on each other and now all of a sudden i have matted hair on my back. (think dreadlocks). It's only a few inches and dead center on the top of my back but I hate it and so does mom. Should she take me to a groomer and have them buzz it off? Should I get the full on "lion-cut"? If so what are some good groomers in Los Angeles that are good with scared kittehs? Thank you!:^:

Comments

• Kirsten FiebelkornKirsten Fiebelkorn Getzville/New York CityMember Posts: 15
    edited 5 August, 2008
    hi! I\'m a long haired cat so I get mats all the time... Your mommy could very carefully comb out the mat.. this hurts me so my mommy doesn\'t do that. If the mat is very long, mommy can (very carefully) cut the end, and then comb out the rest. There are special medical scissors with a blade on one side, and a dull one on the other that help preventing mommy from cutting you. or if its too hard to handle (i get them on my tummy and I hate it when mommy tries to cut those) you could go to a groomer or even the vet! I would go the vet if you only have one or two.. Groomers are good if you have a lot of mats. Also, since I\'m long haired, I get a lion cut for the summer, which helps get rid of my mats (and cool me off). But if you\'re short haired, a lion cut may not be the way to go. Hope that helps!! =^..^=
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 August, 2008
    I get dingleberrys on my butt, and Mom cuts them out carefully using cuticle scissors. They are good cause they are sharp but curved so she never gets near my skin. Amigo has a few on his side the vet has to buzz cut off - Mom can't get them cut out well enough. I would just have Mom try to cut them out, or have the vet buzz them off. I wouldn't take a timid kitty to a groomer. Also if possible use an all Kitty Hospital. Mom realised the difference when I was at Cornell. I had spent so much time at the Cat Clinic and I am very relaxed there. I supervise the Doc when I am there. I am their favorite patient. When I was at Cornell, I refused to eat until all the lights were out. I hid in my bed and was very timid. Too much activity, doggys barking and howling made me a nervous wreck. It really messed up my sugar levels.
  • Michelle BlochMichelle Bloch Member Posts: 447
    edited 11 August, 2008
    My brother and sisters and I have long hair and sometimes we get mats in our armpits. :)) Yoyo got some on his hind legs and he was really self-conscious about them and wouldn't let Mom get near. But Mom would hide the rounded safety scissors when she would go to give Yoyo a nice massage and then secretly, carefully cut one off. Then she cut off another the following day. After she got them all off, it was obvious that Yoyo was really happy to have them gone, and then he didn't mind Mom caressing his hind legs at all. Mom felt so good that she decided to cut them off. Of course, now that Mom knows that we get mats in certain places, she'll go over those places with a comb more often so that the mats don't come back. The back should be fairly easy to trim -- if you feel confident to do it, that's what I would suggest! Of course, make sure you're cutting only fur! Sometimes it's a little hard to feel what exactly is mat, and what is folded up skin!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 12 August, 2008
    Regular grooming (as often as once a day) with a metal comb will help keep the mats from forming in the first place. Regular grooming, whether by the owner, vet, or groomer, is part and parcel of proper cat husbandry. An occasional bath will also help get out the dead and loose hair that contributes to mats. If you\'re having problems with fecal matter catching in the fur around the backside, trimming the area may be necessary. I have three Maine Coons, all of whom have heavy fur on their hind legs (\"britches\"), but I usually notice when they have poop on their backside (actually, they come to me to solve the problem), and I comb it out and use pet wipes to get the rest of the stuff out of the fur while it\'s still soft. And of course I wash the comb afterwards! |^|