Catsitting a dying kitty! I NEED ADVICE PLEASE! (long post)

2»

Comments

• Missy SmithMissy Smith ErieMember Posts: 1,536
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Ok, home from work. Pics of Bernie are in Stuie\'s photo book on page 2 & 3. Bernie didnt seem to be doing as well tonight as he was this afternoon. He was back hiding in the tower when I got there & having the falling spells again. Still purring tho\'. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for him. His family called again today. I said Bernie seemed a little better (that was this afternoon before I left. I didnt say much else about him. They have decided to come home a week early & are returning this Saturday. Maybe guilt about leaving him is setting in. Yes, he really is 18. The first record the vet had of seeing Bernie was in 1988, so there you have it. I just wish the vet had seen him within the last 3 years, but sadly that was not my decision to make. I agree that his age does say a lot for his family, tho\'. I am nervous about them returning this weekend. I hope Bernie feels better by then. xoxoxo &hearts Missy
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Bernie is a very handsome boy -- he looks like Burmese. Maybe it will take a few days before the meds kick in. Hoping once the family returns they will follow through with the meds and work with the vet to help Bernie through his crisis. Purring for Bernie to get better. Kitty kisses and kudo's to Stuie's mom. You're the greatest! Purrs, The A Team: Athena, Apollo & Aragorn (all purring)
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Oh Stuie, are you nervous about telling them you have taken Bernie to the vets? or nervous they wont carry on with his meds? If it is the guilt set in that is the reason they are returning home, then I am sure they will be more than happy you have taken him to the vets. Keep us posted. We are going to go and check out his pics now.

Bruce The Boss

edited 26 July, 2006
    I am nervous about telling them. If they decide not to keep up on his meds there isnt much I can do about it. At least I know i tried. He is a Burmese, by the way. xoxoxo &hearts Missy
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Hi Missy (Stuie's mommy), my mommy thinks that if you explain to them that the vet visit showed it was a very treatable condition with meds, and how much will to live that Bernie has, I think your neighbours would appreciate what you did. I guess with Bernie being so old, they just figure if there's a problem, then maybe it's just time for Bernie to go. In my daddy's experience, he spent over $1000 to try and save Scrappy, the kitty he grew up with, only to have to put her down in the end - and none of the vets ever figured out what it was that did her in. Your neighbours may not want to face that possibility. It's a lot of hope and heartache and expense. But I digress. I think that if you showed your neighbours that you care about them and their kitty, they will eventually appreciate the effort - even if they get upset at first. After all, you and the neighbours love Bernie - just have different ideas on how to deal with it.
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Bernie seemed better again this afternoon. Back up on the couch, waiting for me... purring. He ate like a maniac again. I'll see how he is tonight. Nights seem worse for him. Thanks for all of the input, everyone. It is much appreciated. xoxo &hearts Missy
    edited 27 July, 2006
    Hi Stuie and Missy, Aawww we fully understand how you must be feeling, you just never know how people will react, but we are sure, and hope that they will be happy with the steps you have taken. If they have left you in charge, then it was down to you to make the decision, they dont need to know that you feel they should have taken him long ago. Bernie is obviously responding well to the meds and hopefully they will see a change in him when the return home. Keep up the good work Stuie and Missy, and keep us posted.

Bruce The Boss

edited 31 July, 2006
    Just an update: The neighbors got home yesterday. I spoke to them today. They are not mad at all, and were in fact very grateful. They said they would keep the Bernster on his meds & see what happens. I did *not* ask for an explanation as to why they hadnt taken Bernie to the vet, at this point it really doesnt matter. Hopefully they will learn from this experience & continue getting their kitties the medical care they need. They did offer to pay me back when they could, I declined & they persisted so I suggested we split the bill... we will see what happens. The only thing I care about is the cat... the cash is not that much of an issue, he was worth it. xoxoxo &hearts Missy
    edited 31 July, 2006
    Yayyyy, Way to go Stuie. This is great news, and all has worked out well. We will continue to purr and pray for Bernie. Please keep us posted as to his progress.

Bruce The Boss

edited 31 July, 2006
    I definitely will. Thanks, Bruce! xxoxo &hearts
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 31 July, 2006
    We are so happy to hear that things have worked out and that Bernie is going to continue on his medications. You and your mom are pretty great!!!
    edited 1 August, 2006
    Thanks, Diego. You're pretty cool yourself. =) xoxoxo &hearts
  • Alena WirfsAlena Wirfs WillaminaMember Posts: 126
    edited 1 August, 2006
    yeah!!!!! I'm glad this is all working out happily! I was hoping they would be thankful for your help! I'm sure everyone agrees with me, I think you did the right thing! Purrs, Ginger Cat
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 1 August, 2006
    A happy ending ... purrs to Stuie's mom for listening to her heart and saving the kitty.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 1 August, 2006
    I just read this thread today. What a great ending to this story! I can't believe you were left with a possibly dying cat, and I can't imagine what it must have felt like when Bernie's owners asked you to bury him if he passed away while you were petsitting for him! I definitely would have made the same decision you did to take him to the vet. I mean, since they left him in your care, I guess it was your choice to make anyway! A lot of people don't take their pets to the vet as often as they should. My Lucky Boo is really sick with FeLV and FIP and at first I thought maybe I'd just have him euthanized, but then I took him to another vet who suggested treatment with Prednisone and Phenobarbital. Lucky Boo has made a 100% improvement! Even though his illnesses are terminal, he's doing so very well that I sometimes forget he's sick at all! Which is very unusual for a cat with FIP ... my vet said that most cats with it die within weeks. Lucky Boo really is living up to his name. My point is this: Lucky Boo is a senior cat at 12 years old and seniors really need wellness checkups every 6 months to monitor for changes in their health. Lucky's always been annually and always been up to date with his shots. And when he started having seizures, I took him right away to find out what was wrong. I don't think people should just let their pets' health deteriorate until they die. It's needless suffering. People should either make the decision to treat their pet's illness or have their pet humanely euthanized. I wish Bernie's owners would've taken him sooner so he wouldn't have had to suffer so much with his balance problems and hyperthyroidism! But I'm also very glad he's in a family that loves him and even happier that you took him to the vet and he is now getting the medication he so desperately needs! Purrs, Lucky Boo and Heather, Lucky Boo's Mom
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 2 August, 2006
    I'm so glad to find out everything turned out ok! Bernies owners just needed that 'prod' you gave them to get them doing the right thing, hee hee!
    edited 3 August, 2006
    Thanks Boo & Blade. It's so nice having support when making decisions of that capacity. I just love this site. There are no better people than we animal lovers. =) xoxoxo &hearts
  • Patricia HodgePatricia Hodge WatertownMember Posts: 14,819
    edited 3 August, 2006
    I would take him to the vet too. Once they left they gave you responsibilty to care for him , so you can chose to help him, and still feel perfectly ok for them to cover the bill.. poor guy, I would never leave a sick pet and go somewhere.. just not in me. Thank goodness he has someone like you around and I am so sorry about your loss of your dog... it is very hard to loose our friends.. Bluie
  • Patricia HodgePatricia Hodge WatertownMember Posts: 14,819
    edited 3 August, 2006
    so glad to hear Bernie is feeling better, at his age, he is a senior, and seniors have some of the problems he does, my cousin Zelad lived to be 23 and her neice Muffin lived to be 20... Stu how wonderful of your family to get him some meds so he can feel better in his senior years.. Bluie