URGENT! Throwing up and not eating.

Amanda StolleAmanda Stolle MinneapolisMember Posts: 7
edited 26 July, 2006 in Cat Health
Eames started throwing up on Thursday. He also stopped eating completely. We went to the vet Friday morning, but he couldn't be examined because he's so aggressive. I got anti-nausea medication in liquid and hairball lubricant for him to eat. He's now on his 4th day of nothing to eat. I can get him to take some water about twice a day. He's urinating about once a day. And his throwing up has slowed down from once every 4 hours or so to about 3 times a day. I talked to the vet again this morning. The next step is to take him in and anesthetize him and do x-rays. They may need to do surgery too. He's only 2 years old. What can this be? Also, I don't have a lot of money, so it kills me to have to think about not doing some treatments because they may be in the thousands of dollars. How can I put a price on my companion? Any help or advice would really be appreciated. I'm feeling very desperate right now. Eames's mom, Amanda

Comments

• Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 24 July, 2006
    Eames needs to go to the vet right away. He might have a blockage of some sort and needs to be examined immediately. Here is a post Merlin wrote a while back about organizations that will help with vet care costs. http://www.catster.com/forums/thread.php?t=326910 Please let us know how he is doing and good luck.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 25 July, 2006
    Please take Eames into the vet for a check up. If he continues to not eat, then the risk for developing Hepatic Lipidosis increases dramatically. Not only does the kitty have to be hospitilized on IV fluids, but also force fed. Please take him in ASAP.
  • Lauren PazzanLauren Pazzan BundabergMember Posts: 86
    edited 25 July, 2006
    Hey Amanda, I know you must be quite stressed right now. I don't know if this applies over there (jeez I hope so), but when my mum's Siamese had to have two teeth removed and it was gonna cost her $900 she was able to pay it off in installments. Maybe you could do that and Eames would be able to get some vet attention, and that way you wouldn't have to stress about the money as much. Know that my kitties are all purring for you and I'll be praying for Eames' recovery. Blossom's, Jacob's and Salem's mummy, Lauren.
  • Jenn CocoJenn Coco medfordMember Posts: 112
    edited 26 July, 2006
    You need to get him to a vet asap, it could be something very serious. Or at least give them a ring.
  • Amanda StolleAmanda Stolle MinneapolisMember Posts: 7
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Update on EamesieCat: We were able to get into the University vet clinic on Monday afternoon. They too seemed surprised that vets would say they couldn't examine him because of his aggression. He was getting weaker by that point so he was less aggessive at that vet's office. They did have to sedate him but not knock him out. They said he even overrode the sedation and was still quite unhappy with things! He's a fighter for sure! They did a blood work-up, chem labs, x-rayed his abdomen, and gave him fluids. Then they sent me home with an appetite stimilant and told me to try offering him baby food (meat), tuna juice on things, wet food, or whatever he seemed interested in. He was groggy from the sedative so I set him up at home, gave him the appetite stimulant, and he took a nap. I went out to get baby food, etc. When I came back he had eaten some of his kibbles! I was so happy. He has continued to eat since Monday night and hasn't thrown up since Monday morning. Tests came back Tuesday afternoon pretty normal. Some of his liver enzymes were slightly elevated but they said that might be secondary, caused by his not eating (on his way to "fatty liver" that Hunter wrote about). They said this should go back to normal with his eating, but he should have it rechecked in 1-2 weeks just to make sure that was the effect and not the cause of this. He also had a small marble-sized mineral opacity in his colon. They said this probably had nothing to do with it -- unless it was toxic -- as it would be passing through soon. They seemed unconcerned about that. He appears to be on the mend. He's getting the "input" part down by eating, but now we just need him to get on the whole "output" part. I may have to take him in tomorrow for fluids and a stool softener if he doesn't produce anything. It's tough not knowing what caused this or if it might happen again sometime. Right now I'm just so VERY happy that things finally seem to be looking up. Thank you all so much for your thoughts, concerns, and much needed advice. We'll keep you updated with any new information. -Eames and Amanda
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Glad you are eating a bit of your food and feeling better. Definitely keep us updated.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 July, 2006
    Glad to hear you're eating and feeling a little better, Eames. We're purring for you. The A Team: Apollo, Athena and Aragorn