Randomly using my litter tray... or not

A GA G LondonMember Posts: 18
edited 8 September, 2008 in Behavior & Training
I'm new here so forgive me if I've missed a post on the exact same topic - I have read through some of the others on similar themes. Our roughly 4 month old mogster Snaffle came to us apparently housetrained, and the first day he was with us he peed in his box, then twice more with a poo the next day. All was well. We scooped it all up pretty much straight away but three days in he suddenly decided to pee in the bathroom sink. We caught him at it and gently popped him on the box, then washed the pee away. Later we went out and when we returned he'd pooed in the bathtub. We didn't make a fuss (what's the point? He won't know what it's about) but completely changed the litter and then when we saw him peeing in his box later made a big fuss about how great he was. Since then, it's random - sometimes he'll use his box, sometimes he'll use the bathtub, despite us putting an inch of soapy water and lemon juice in it to deter him! Here are all the possibilities I can think of - does anyone have anything to add? - Infection: he'll be checked for this tomorrow as he's got his first check up / jabs - Unsettled: he's only been with us six days! - Bored: We do both work but someone always pops in during the day to check on him and he gets plenty of attention, interaction and play when we are home. It was the same situation with his previous owner and as far as we know he didn't break his housetraining with them. - Fleas upsetting him: we're in the process of treating him and will be getting some stronger stuff from the vet because the pet shop stuff sucks. His poo and wee are both completely normal and he hasn't shown any signs of pain. Help! Sorry about the long post...!

Comments

• Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 28 August, 2008
    The water in the bathtub worked for us so i'm not sure there. The other thing it could possibly be is that either he doesn't like the place of his litter or it's tooo clean (some cats like dirty) or he doesn't like the litter it's self. If he doesn't have an infection I would play around a bit. Move the litter, try different types and don't clean it more that once every other day or two. If it's not that then you may just have to look into a "CAT WHISPERER" as it could be some sort of behavioral problem though at a young age it could also just be the adjustment time too. keep us posted on what turns up.
  • A GA G LondonMember Posts: 18
    edited 28 August, 2008
    Thanks! He is still settling in and getting used to a routine and training which I don't think he had that much of before. I do have a different kind of litter in the house which I could try next time we clean it out. With our last cats, we used to do daily scoops with a complete clean about once every four days, I think. Thanks for the tips; I'll be back with updates!
    edited 29 August, 2008
    Good news... Last night Snaffle peed in his box, and since we saw him do it we gave him a treat right afterwards (he adores a tiny bit of butter licked off fingers so he gets it when he's done something exceptionally good). We filled the bathtub and sink with obstacles and spritzed it with lemon and lime juices so... Master Snaffle pooed in his box overnight! Hurrah! He also peed this morning and my fiance gave him lots of praise and tickled his chin so hopefully he's beginning to move in the right direction. I think we'll stick to a lemony bathroom for the time being, though...
    edited 29 August, 2008
    Great news Snaffle, Also you're never going to have hairball problems with your love a butter ~a~
    edited 1 September, 2008
    Snaffle's developed a new trick, now... peeing behind the toilet at random. I'm seriously considering proper peeing-in-toilet training now...! We're persevering with putting him on the box and rewarding good efforts in the hope that he'll always use his tray instead of half the time! My last cats were long haired and butter was a great way to get them to pass a hairball (ugh)...!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 1 September, 2008
    Snaffle, what did the vet say? You did go after all, right? Because if it is a UTI, you won't stop peeing out of the box.
    edited 3 September, 2008
    The vet said it was highly unlikely there was a UTI as Snaffle's pee was normal in colour / smell and he didn't show any signs of squatting without peeing / peeing blood etc. He certainly didn't look as rattled as my last cat did with cystitis, but I was glad to have the vet confirm that he seems fine. This morning he sneaked into the bathroom while I was having a shower and peed in his box no problem - he randomly does or doesn't! He's back at the vets next week for his second jab so I will ask again if things have not improved. She seemed pretty convinced it was behavioural and to do with him taking time to settle in completely. Here's hoping - UTIs are horrid. Thanks for asking! :)
  • Catherine HilesCatherine Hiles MiamisburgMember Posts: 499
    edited 3 September, 2008
    Hi Snaffle! I'm glad to hear that Seamus isn't the only one (though not glad that you have to clean up pee a lot!). I hope you don't mind me sharing my situation to see if anyone has any ideas - I didn't want to start a thread on the same topic and be annoying. We've had Seamus for 4 months now. He came to us litter trained, declawed, from the pound. The first thing was that he would poop in the corner of the basement, so we stopped allowing him access to the basement and he stopped doing it. Then, he peed and pooped on the bathmat. We stopped allowing him access to the bathroom (as he also liked to pee in the shower tray) so that stopped. The last few days I've seen him scratching at the carpet by the front door, but that was all it seemed to be - until just now, when I was about to take the dog out and Seamus was peeing on the carpet by the door. I took him and put him in his litter box, but now I wonder if he's been peeing there for a while when we haven't been looking. I cleaned it with Nature's Miracle. My question is - why is he consistently peeing outside the box? Obviously stopping access to his favourite pee spots is just causing him to go elsewhere. What can I do besides transferring him to the litter box when I catch him? I've never had a young cat before, so this is new, and all the cats I've had have never had litter box issues (besides those related to senility!) Snaffle, I hope you continue to progress with your training, and again apologies for hijacking. :^:
    edited 4 September, 2008
    Seamus, Have you been checked for a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)? With that amount of peeing outside the box that would be the first guess. If after you go to the vets and every thing is fine then start trying to experiment with different litter, litterboxes and places that the litter is. All these are factor's in a kitty's choise of peeing and pooping. Hope this helps.:)
  • Catherine HilesCatherine Hiles MiamisburgMember Posts: 499
    edited 5 September, 2008
    Hi Gosmot :-h thanks for the response! He was at the vet about a month ago for a checkup, but I do think we'll go back just to be sure. The thing is.... it's not every day, it's once a week or month at the most. We've been using yesterday's news because I like the idea of it better but I think we are going to switch litters and see if that will help. Thank you for the advice! :^:
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 5 September, 2008
    You\'re probably already doing this, but make sure you clean everywhere Snaffle goes with an oxy based cleaner. If he smells a spot that still has the scent of his urine he\'ll go there again.
    edited 8 September, 2008
    Yep - we got a disinfectant that claims to remove all pet smells... just as well we did our research, I didn't originally know that bleach can smell enticingly of cat wee so I was going to use that! We only had one bathroom poo incident this weekend, and I think it was Snaffle trying to get our attention as we overslept - his box had been fully cleaned out the night before. Since then he's used it as normal... I think he just likes to remind us how important he is...