Its a Dog eat catfood World

Liz EisemanLiz Eiseman NewtownMember Posts: 91
edited 1 August, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to help me figure out a way of putting catfood on the ground without it being accsesible to my dog. We have just found with food on a counter, well, Mister Murph fell off. I need a response quickly, as Murphy has thyroid problems and if he does not eat, he will die. Dotty, my dog, always eats his food if it is left on the floor. I can\'t put it on the counter, because 1, he will fall off, and 2, if he falls and hits himself the right way, he will kill himself. Neither of these things are good, and he really needs to eat alot and frequently. So if anyone knows of a device or idea to make his food accsesible to an old, and slightly handicapped cat, but not to a quick-witted, piggy dog, PLEASE send me some catster mail OR respond to this forum soon.

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    Maybe you can take advantage of the difference in size between your pets. What about putting the Murphy\'s dish in a box (or even a cat carrier) with a small opening that the dog can\'t fit into?
  • Liz EisemanLiz Eiseman NewtownMember Posts: 91
    edited 27 February, 2006
    That's a great idea! We have constructed a plastic storage box like a hut. The only problem is, the entrance is too small. Later, we are going to cut a bigger one.
  • Karlee UrbanoskiKarlee Urbanoski CalgaryMember Posts: 85
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Or you could get your cats feeding twice a day and so u could put your dog in another room while they are eating...
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We've had a similar problem lately with my kitten food. My foster siblings, Arthur and Beatrice, like to eat my kitten food but they shouldn't because Beatrice is already fat and Arthur gets sick when he eats my food. So now my foster mommy feeds me in the bedroom and closes the door while I eat. When I'm done, she puts any leftovers away. It seems to work ok, for now at least.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks alot, everyone. These are all really great ideas and my owner is going to try all of them. Many thanks, Murph
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    i know this s a late response but i thought it was worth sharing. do you have any stairs or small landings where you live? any place that you can gate off from the dog? we gate our stairs off and feed the cats on the landing to our basement, where the dogs aren't allowed( they get to stay on the main floor until bedtime), otheriwse the dogs eat the cat food. it works great because the space is too small to allow the dogs to jump over the gate and the cats can eat all day and still have the run of the house. hope things go well
    edited 27 February, 2006
    That's okay, it really doesn't matter if it is a late response. My owner is very grateful to everyone, and, in thanks, she is going to invite all of you cats to be my pal. We now have a box with an opening cut out in it and it seems to work for now. The only problem is that the opening is big enough for my k9 sister's head to fit in. Oh well. Mom calls my new food area the buda-box. ;) Thanks again Kittenhiemer
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Uh oh, you guys. None of the ideas that were suggested really work. Murph does not like being in a small box to eat, and when we take the top off, Dotty eats it. Well, she stands close she does not eat it, but she bothers him. Part of the problem is that the opening is too small for him to get out of and back in comfortably, and if the hole gets any bigger, Dotty will get her head stuck in it. Any ideas? Thanks
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think the only thing to do at this point is to have regular mealtimes for all animals and put the cat in another room to eat. Inconvenient, I know, but unless you use a gate to block the dog from the cat food, I don't what else to suggest. Good luck!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good idea, Sophie. But you're right, it is kind of inconvenient. The only problem is that poor Murph needs to eat so frequently that I just don't think it will work. Happy Holidays, Mister Murph
  • Rachel NosalRachel Nosal LincolnMember Posts: 135
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Murph! Will you climb small steps (think feline size)? The original meezer the loon had (an old baron named Klaus) lived to be 19 and had extreme difficultly jumping to reach his food. He had some other health problems and needed to keep his weight on, so eating was important just like you. But, like you, the loon always had these sneaky canines stealing food that was within their reach. She tried putting in an enclosed box but he starting using it as a litterbox. MOL! Then she went major extreme-o and cut a rectangular hole in her walk-in closet big enough for him to fit through but not the dogs. The food got set way in the back, so even though their heads could fit through their bodies couldn't and they never were able to reach the food. But, this didn't work because the closet was dark and who wants to eat their dinner in the dark. Candle light maybe, but pitch black? I think not! So then, the grandfather loon made kitty steps for Klaus, using plywood and some wood from the hardware store. He made them in an L shape so that they went up against the corner of the wall in her laundry room to the shelf where Klaus' food had always been. They weren't wide enough for the dogs to climb up. Maybe something like this would be a last resort if you nothing else works out? Good luck buddy! We wish you many more lives!
  • rachel brownrachel brown weatherfordMember Posts: 1,299
    edited 27 February, 2006
    can you get a table short enough for the cat to get on but tall enough the dogs can't? we have one for out cats, though its not tall enough for one dog.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for the ideas! The only problem is Murph has problems with steps of any kind. And if we put it on a table, either Dotty will get it, or he will fall off the table. We don't really have one, and the spae for it. All the walk-in closets are upstairs, and we don't like to make him go up and down more than he has to. But, thanks for the advice, we will try it, and we will also invite you to be feline friends with us!
    edited 1 August, 2006
    Thanks for the ideas. But Murphy died a few days ago, and is missed very much.
  • C&R WC&R W Member Posts: 110
    edited 1 August, 2006
    I'm sorry for your loss.