Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Too much food?

Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
edited 11 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Now, I personally don\'t believe there is any such thing as too much food for me and my brother Trooper, but my human is wondering, how much you feed your (mostly normal weight) cats? There was a time when I was considered fat (!! the indignity!!) and my brother Trooper was considered scrawny to lean. I\'m now around 13 lb, and Trooper is around 10 lb, but of course we get exactly the same amount of food, otherwise Trooper would pitch a fit. He eats like a vacuum cleaner anyway already, and after finishing his portion tries to eat some of my food because I tend to like savoring my portion. Anyway, we each get half of a 5.5oz can of wet food for breakfast (usually Nature\'s Variety Instinct Rabbit Formula), half of a 3oz can of Petguard Beef & Barley for lunch, and half of a 5.5oz of can either Weruva\'s Paw Lickin Chicken or one of the EVO 95% meat varieties. I guess Trooper and I MIGHT be OK with having one more watery canned 5.5 oz food (like Weruva) per day as opposed to having 2 5.5oz cans of more dense wet food like EVO or NV, I guess we are a bit on the heavier side for our builds. Trooper and I believe it\'s mostly muscle...but the human thinks we could slim down a bit. Do you think we get too much food?

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 11 September, 2008
    Hi Simba:-h Well it looks like you guys get about 7 oz a day. Are you eating too much?? Well it all depends on how many calories are in the food. Its usually about 20 calories per pound of cat. Or the formula I use is weight of my cat is 14lbs. times that by 13.6 then add 70, this gives you how many calories they should have. for me that's 261 calories a day. Both my cats have been on Wellness, and Evo canned for over a year now, and one has gained the weight he needed and one has lost the weight she needed. (Shadow was like 19 lbs a year ago):r My cats get around 6.25 oz a day each of the Wellness or if its Evo a bit more as it is a bigger can , so 6.6 oz, and this works out be the right amount of calories. Im glad I dont listen to what the cans say, as they would be fat by now, but by being on wet food they are satasfied with the small amount they get, they never overeat. They get fed three times a day, but the last meal is only a tiny bit around 10:30 at night. That helps them get to the morning happy.