Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

California Natural

Haley SalitrosHaley Salitros Member Posts: 107
edited 27 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
What are your experiences with this brand? I've heard some kitties don't like it because it's not filled with additives and such. I want Sneakers to like it because it doesn't have any fish!!!~a~

Comments

• Catherine MarinoCatherine Marino UrbannaMember Posts: 180
    edited 12 September, 2008
    I personally have not used the cat version of California Natural but i do feed it to my dog and love it. My sister feeds it to her cats though and they have down very well on it and have actually improved on it. their coats are beautiful. One of my sisters cats started getting infections in his liver a year ago before switching to this food. Californina Natural (he eats mostly the wet) is the only one he has been able to tolerate.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 12 September, 2008
    All I know is that the Wet California Natural is pretty good.
  • Emma MendiolaEmma Mendiola Suisun CityMember Posts: 59
    edited 14 September, 2008
    I\'ve fed Link & Zelda California Natural Chicken & Rice dry on and off for about 2 years now. Neither of them are big fish lovers, and it seems that the older they get the less they like fish. Right now I\'m feeding a mix of Wellness CORE and California Natural, and Zelda\'s been picking out the CN and leaving the CORE behind. If you\'re looking to avoid fish, this is a great choice. A good grain-free option with no fish is Nature\'s Variety Instinct Chicken. We\'ll probably switch back to that once the CORE is gone.
  • Haley SalitrosHaley Salitros Member Posts: 107
    edited 14 September, 2008
    NV Instinct Dry has fish meal in it. We have some of the wet as a supplement, but Sneakers can't handle an all-wet diet. We even tried half wet and his tummy couldn't handle it. He gets a quarter can every now and then. I started mixing the CN into their Before Grain and both cats are like, "Seriously?" they didn't want to eat it! I feed them the mix, they take two bites and walk away and stare at me. Bubbles even broke into a closet that had a stray bag of Science Diet that I've been meaning to give away! She chewed right through the bag! BG isn't terrible, it has fish oil in it, but I was hoping to get away from it entirely. He stomach can handle it okay, but I think could do better.
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 16 September, 2008
    Sneakers I think California Natural Chicken & Brown Rice is a good food. Mom got some for our garage cats and she gave us a taste of it too and it\'s yummy! We don\'t eat much dry food because Cocoa is diabetic, but she gives us a few pieces as a treat every once in awhile. Have you tried Wellness canned food? The Chicken and Turkey flavors don\'t have fish in it and that\'s what we eat and tolerate it very well and I have a sensitive stomach too. Anyway, if you like California Natural I think it would be a good food for you as far as dry food goes.
  • Haley SalitrosHaley Salitros Member Posts: 107
    edited 16 September, 2008
    Sneakers and Bubbles HATED it. This morning it was all I had left before I could get to the store and buy more Before Grain. I put 1/2 cup out for the two of them at 7 a.m. and by 5 p.m. there was still tons left. I put BG in the bowl ... happy kitties. I've tried even a half wet diet and Sneakers can't handle it. He gets the runs on wet. But they eat get a quarter can of Newman's Own at night, sometimes NV Instinct. That gives variety so they won't get tired of the dry.
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    edited 20 September, 2008
    Lucy Belle loves it! Most kitty who can't eat seafood do well with CN. If your kitty seems reluctant at first to eat it, you just need to transition slowly. Make sure you mix her old food with CN and gradually over a couple of days or weeks, eliminate more of the old until she is eating only CN. My kitty eats a variety of brand and I do not need to transition her so this makes life easier. But for most of the other kitty who are more finicky, a gradual transition works best when introducing new food. Good Luck!
  • Gina GroneGina Grone Beatrice, NebraskaMember Posts: 217
    edited 27 September, 2008
    I just tried this for the first time tonight. Mom gave me the Chicken and Brown Rice formula. I love it and ate almost the whole can! I\'ve been having health problems and mom doesn\'t want me eating that yucky stuff from the vet anymore. We are trying California Natural canned and also Instinct canned - I haven\'t tried any of the Instinct yet. Mom says the ingredients on both look pretty good. Anyway, it\'s a paw up for the Chicken and Brown Rice!