Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

switching to half dr. foster\'s canned half-dry...how?

terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
edited 14 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
we just ordered a case of 24 dr. foster's canned-anybody heard of them? we trust their other products-unfortunately the cases only come in one flavor, so the cats will get their fill of salmon/shrimp:))for purposes of economy, we will be mixing with dry...IAMS kitten formula for the moment, until the girls turn a year old, then we plan to upgrade to a better dry. they love canned, so that's no problem. OUR problem might be getting them to eat the dry and get enough calories so that the canned lasts long enough:-/ how much canned is enough a day? how much dry to go with it? should we mix dry to supplement, because i'm afraid if we give dry alone and also give wet they'll strike on the dry. they protested when we went back to dry after we gave canned for several days recently when we ran out of dry and the convenience store had yucky dry-i just don't feed meow mix, sorry, besides they're picky-picky on dry. when we accidentally changed types of IAMS kitten food they snubbed it for a day. i shudder at the thought of transitioning them to adult food in the coming weeks...really need to start now, i suppose, but i haven't got one picked out yet. for now, i just need to get this issue of how to mix the wet & dry thing proportion sorted out. help?

Comments

• Stephanie MantillaStephanie Mantilla Member Posts: 102
    edited 14 September, 2008
    Do you feed twice a day? If so, I'd recommend feeding dry in the AM and wet in the PM. My kitties don't like dry as much but seem to be hungrier for it in the morning than for dinner. When I switched over I tried mixing some wet with the dry at both of their feedings. My cats prefer wet food so I really just had to make sure they didn't eat it too quickly and got upset stomachs. As far as feeding amounts, I give 1/4C dry each cat in the morning and half a can of wet food each in the PM. ( I have 12 and 10 lb. cats) There is a formula for figuring this out depending on your cats weight though.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 14 September, 2008
    thanks-and yeah, we feed twice a day-except since i keep kaya in my bedroom at night i usually take just a small handful of kibble in there with her...it's become a ritual from way back when, i pick up the food from the bucket and she runs to bed.:?this started back when they were underweight and just came off of the KMR, and it stuck...these days it's not a meal more of a bedtime snack...half the time she knocks the bowl over on the floor anyway*really need a rolling the eyes emoticon* oh...i should have said "I" feed twice a day. my roommate sort of tends to just keep shyloh's dish from ever getting empty. as a result, shyloh has developed the most adorable chipmunk cheeks...but i don't think this is going to be good in the long run. you kind of have to dig to feel her ribs...not hard, but they're not as easy to find as kaya's, churrah's or, of course, the foster kitten's. i'd rather she not free feed because kaya tends to nosh too...but shyloh is DEFINITELY eating waaay too much. she weighs less than kaya, but she's...squishy? kaya is also longer and has a heavier build. i know that some of the extra weight is the coming winter-in michigan we're at a higher latitude, and the animals are going to be reacting early. we've got all the signs of an interesting winter-trees starting turning in august, very furry local wildlife for september, etc. but they're only ten months old, and i want them to get some sort of weight set-point that is healthy-easier to have a healthy weight than to lose. i'd also like to exercise them more...but they always end up competing over the same toy and it just gets absurd. kaya tends to exercise herself actually...but those may be hallucinatory experiences, we're really not sure:-k