Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Switching from Meow Mix to Wellness...transitioning?

Ellen KenneyEllen Kenney Stuart / Saint Lucie areaMember Posts: 8,240
edited 16 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I convinced my mom our pets would be healthier on a better food. She let me get Wellness for both the dogs (who were on Pedigree) and the cats (the only one who was on Wellness before was Aimi...who still is, of course, but the kitten formula until she's grown). They're going to be on Wellness Super5Mix Complete Health and Wellness Indoor Cat Formula from now on. But I'm still not completely sure how to transition them, and because Milo & Buddy both are extremely picky eaters, I need to do it really slow. Right now they're all being free-fed, but I also managed to convince my mom portioned-feeding would be best to help maintain a healthy weight and keep them from you know, eating all the food..LOL. So if someone here could tell me how much to mix in with their old food everyday, I'd really appreciate it. :) And if any of you know for dogs too, I'd appreciate that as well..would be killing two birds with one stone, lol.

Comments

• Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 12 September, 2008
    My kitten is not picky, so when he switches foods (dry, right?) I mix in roughly half and half and then increase the new food gradually. If your cats are very picky, I would mix in -very- little new at first and make sure they are eating it. Maybe a tablespoon or so per 1/2 cup (1/2 cup is the most an adult cats needs to eat each day) Slowly increase this each day, but make sure they are actually eating all of it and not avoiding the new kibble before adding too much new.
  • Ellen KenneyEllen Kenney Stuart / Saint Lucie areaMember Posts: 8,240
    Thank you, Artus! :D The past times we tried to switch them we tried the half & half thing but they'd just eat around the new food, so my mom would just give up...LOL.
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    Most cats can completely transition in 7 or 10 days, but I've heard of people having to pretty much -count- kibble and do it verrryyy slowly. Just start with a very small amount of new and take as long as necessary.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    I had to switch too, was having too many issues with Hills, I now feed Blue Wilderness, the bag says to start by mixing in 25% of the new food, and gradually increase over 14 days. Since I switched, I have not had any issues. Wellness is a good food too. I also no longer free feed, was never sure who was getting what. Now they are fed in their carriers, with the correct amount according to their weight, and now I know how much each one is eating, or if one is not eating, also a good way to train them to walk right in the carrier. :):)):):))=;:-h
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 16 September, 2008
    =D> Yeah Milo =D> Congratulations on eating a much healthier food! Like others said, start out slow and add just a few more pieces of the new each day. Also it would be great if you could get some canned Wellness to eat too! What a feast you\'d have! Good Luck Milo and family! |:|