Canned or Kibble?

Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
edited 17 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I am kind of confused after reading some posts here. Is feeding kibble to your cat bad? Canned food the only thing you should feed. Its to much money for me to feed just canned but I dont want to be slowly killing my cats by feeding them kibble.

Comments

• Haley SalitrosHaley Salitros Member Posts: 107
    edited 16 September, 2008
    You just opened a can of worms...not cat food!:))! There are people here who are die-hard canned feeders. Others, like myself, don't do it. I feed my cats a high quality dry (Before Grain) and give a small snack of wet at night. They get water freshned every day. If you're concerned about getting enough water in their diets, you can try a cat fountain. I had one and it was great....until I burned the motor on it from not keeping it full. :r: I actually tried a half wet diet and Sneakers couldn't handle it. He had the runs really bad. Some cats can't handle dry. Some can't handle wet. Our family cat lived for 19 years on dry alone, and about 10 of that was on crappy Purina. :? PetSmart has some canned foods that are pretty affordable (Advantage), and I have been doing Newman's Own myself. Consult with your vet and shop around for good deals.
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    Thanks I didnt want to open up any thing mol. I just wanted to know. I know Stella has alot of digestive issues. We finally found something that works for her. Go naturals grain free salmon. We are staying away from chicken for a while at least because we thing chicken may be the issue. So far so good but it is the dry kind. Oliver I know gets runnier poo on wet and Stella well now that I found something that works I am scared to try anything else with her at least for a while. Thanks again.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Psyche!!!! dont worry I wont say anything about dry food, most Catster's know where I stand on this issue. My post got shut down on this subject, but I didnt think I was being rude, I just think it was peoples reactions that got it shut down. I will just leave this note and say catinfo.org is an informative site Cheers ;c;
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 17 September, 2008
    I think there are plenty of threads about this topic here on catster. Read through a few of them and see what rings true for you. In my case, once I really analyzed what is in commercial cat food and how it is unsuitable for their biological needs I could no longer in good conscience feed it to my animals. I really thought only zealots would feed their carnivore pets real meat instead of commercial pet food, but after looking at the history of the pet food industry I found it really hard to reconcile my need for convenience versus the health of my pets. After all I wouldn't feed my family Kraft Mac 'n Cheese every day and expect it to fulfill all their nutritional needs. In fact I work really hard to provide the best food for all the members of my family because I believe that proper nutrition is the very basis of good health and we should not take shortcuts in that area because it will get us in the long run. *off soapbox*
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    Shadow, you\'ve been so helpful and supportive to me with your information ~ thank you! =; Lucy primarily eats canned food now and she is doing really well. I cannot speak for any other kitties but I can say that for her, it\'s been an amazing change! She was so sick for so long and within 3 days of the switch to a primarily wet food diet (and with guidance from results of her allergy test re: which canned food ingredients to feed), her diarrhea stopped. I could just tell she felt so much better ~ She stopped hiding under the bed and was able to go off of all of her anti-diarrhea medicines (which weren\'t working anyways). She has also gained half a pound which is excellant for her b/c she was too thin. And on top of all of that, her blood tests which were abnormal a month earlier were normal a month after the switch. Amazing. Obviously, a couple of things contributed to these positive health changes, but switching to canned food, for Lucy, was the biggest factor. I know exactly what you mean, Stella, about being scared to change foods. It\'s really tough when you have a kitty with tummy issues. Does Stella maybe have allergies? Hope your digestive issues clear up!
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    Thanks everyone. Actually Stella is on a food that agrees with her finally. She never looked better. I am one that believes raw is of course the best. But a high quality food is a near second imo. I always thought kibble or wet was good. Depended on the cat really. I dont think one way is wrong and one way is right. My old cat Mookie I had when I was really young. Well my mom ended up running her over. We couldnt afford surgery. She recovered but the vet wanted her to always be on wet food as it would make her stool a little softer therefore will pass through more easily for her. She did well for a long while on wet. She then got really sick the vet said it was partly from being on wet for so long. But we couldnt switch her. Anyways she ended up dieing. She lived to be about 8 or 9. Pretty good considering everything I think. Regardless though I think feeding either as long as it is good quality is good. I believe not all do well on wet and not all do well on dry. I think a good variety is also something that if possible is healthy for them. Like a little wet every one in a while. I am happy with what she and oliver are on now. But I just wanted to know some other cats experiences and reasoning for prefering one over the other. Just a concerned kitty owner wanting to do whats best.