Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How to store canned food w/o fridge?

Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
edited 19 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Dear Catsters, Does anyone know a way to store canned food (we buy the tall sizes for all our furbies) w/o having to put it in the fridge? I noticed that Felidae or Evo will go bad within 2 days, max. Unfortunately, the can doesn't run out that quickly, so I'm constantly scooping and microwaving. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks, Milo & Tabitha's Meowm

Comments

• Nicole ZiembaNicole Ziemba Member Posts: 295
    edited 12 September, 2008
    open or unopened cans? unopened cans can go in the pantry...I wouldn't recommend keeping open cans out of the fridge. I am kind of confused at this post...do you not have a fridge? Maybe I read this wrong. I re-read it and am adding an edit...I put my leftovers in a glass container with a lid. :) I do not keep it in the cans, old wives tail I guess.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Once a can has been opened it has to be refrigerated. I use the big cans too, when opened I put the rest into a glass jar with lid then put in fridge. If you dont have a fridge then you will have to buy the smaller cans. Hope Im understanding this post properly. :)
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    Once its opened, it has to be refridgerated, no way around that. :):)):) Mine get baby food, one teaspoon, to mix with their vitaminy\'s, so I have to refridge it too, but its a small jar, I stick it in the microwave for 10 seconds, not really a big deal. Since you get the large cans, maybe you could find a smaller jar or container and put the amount you normally feed in each container, that way your only microwaving what you use in one feeding. Check out the dollor store. I would stay away from the plastic containers. :-h:):))=;
  • Barbara LindellBarbara Lindell Sunnyvale, CA/San Francisco, LMember Posts: 544
    edited 13 September, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! We do have a fridge, but I was hoping there'd be a way to leave it out on the counter (covered of course), w/o having to refrigerate. It goes bad after a day or so... Its only b/c the food gets all caked together when its cold, and I have to microwave their food. I figure its probably not good to feed them cold food, so I microwave. I hope I'm not killing more nutrients either! haha Maybe we'll get the little cans next time... But thanks for the glass jar idea, who woulda thunk? Pawesome idea! Thanks again, Tabitha & Milo's Mum
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    Take the food out of the fridge half a hour or so before feeding time. The food will warm up and soften and won't be a solid lump to eat.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    I just add a little warm water to it and stir it to take the chill off. ;)
  • Kara DickmanKara Dickman Middle of No WhereMember Posts: 2,283 ✭✭
    You can also stick in a warm sink of water. Microwaves can kill nutrients sometimes. However, I love cold food :?. So, I am not much help.
  • shannon szuszalskishannon szuszalski ABQMember Posts: 1,542
    edited 14 September, 2008
    Mommy also puts a splash of warm water in my refrigerated food as she serves it. It warms it up, thins it out ( I seem to like my wet food kinda soupy), and Mommy figures it gets more H2O in me too. (I am not a big drinker and we know I need the moisture for my bladder health). However, Mommy does have to get the medium sized rather than the tall cans. I am pretty picky and the longer the food has been refrigerated (I mean like 2-3 days), the less I seem to like it--water or not. I like my food best when s he first opens the can!!!
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 15 September, 2008
    I eat small meals thruout the day. Mommy puts the can of food in a glass container with lid like lots of you do. Very important that it must be refrigerated after the can being opened. She scoops out what is only needed for each meal. I'm on kidknee food and the can lasts me only a day or 2. And like Nikko, I like a little warm water added to the food. It makes it a better texture and brings out the yummy smell. I too love it best when it is first opened but then sometimes I end up scarfing it down too quickly (you know what happens then!). So Mommy usually likes to feed it to be from the fridge.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    We always add a bit of warm water to the cold canned food before serving. I don't use the microwave.... never liked microwaves much. It takes the chill off and they like it a bit soupy anyways. =;
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    You can put a lid on the can and put the can in a ziploc bag, thats what I do.
  • Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
    edited 17 September, 2008
    Wow, some great ideas! Definitely going to try adding warmed water for starters...hehe
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    edited 19 September, 2008
    I hate the cakiness too esp, in the pate style food. I just ad a little bit of hot water and mix it around to give it back its warms and mushiness, especially since i have to mix in some stuff that needs to dissolve.