Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Wet food Fancy feast

Charlene luportCharlene luport NapaMember Posts: 1,094
edited 24 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Hi I recently grabbed some wet food at target and was curious of others opinions. Its called Fancy feast elegant medleys. I like the the food and grim goes nuts for it there's meat as a first ingredient and it has veggies in it u can actually see. http://fancyfeast.com/elegant-medleys/

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 20 September, 2008
    Hi Grim some people call this food Kitty Crack as they always love it, but my opinion of this food is not too good. There are some flavours of this food that is ok, and it may be good for some cats that have diabetes, here are the good ones out of all the flavours, they are not Elegant menus but are the gourmet line. These do not have wheat gluten in them Fancy Feast Gourmet Feast - Gourmet Chicken feast, Gourmet Turkey &giblets feast, Tender Beef feast, Tender beef & Liver feast, Savory Salmon feast, Tender Chicken & liver feast, Beef & Chicken feast, Chopped Grill Feast. Purrs Shadow :)
  • Charlene luportCharlene luport NapaMember Posts: 1,094
    He also gets wellness wet when I cna get over to petco wer on a tight budget so grim is lucky enough to have the core wellness dry. Hes also getting a new one from meow mix called wholesome goodness. I'm trying to the best for the fuzz butt
    The Wellness wet is good wish they had it at our big stores here. The new meow mix and the newer Purina and so forth have all these nice pictures of vegetables and fruit on the packages to attract us humans, but for cats vegetables and fruit is actually not even needed at all. Just think Carnivore they eat meat, with a minute bit of carb. and some grasses. Im not sure about prices for dry food, but Im sure there are some better affordable ones out there than meow mix, just my opinion though Keep Well :)
    Hes on wellness core dry. Only meow mix he gets is wet food
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    Hi! Fancy Feast is definitely not one of the best food you can feed. It's popular mostly because it is widely available, you can even get it in any bodega and small convenience store. It's really important to learn how to choose proper food to feed. When you are choosing food, it is important for you to learn how to read ingredient labels. They tell you a lot about what kind of meat is being used and whether the food has any cheap fillers which does not benefit your cat/kitten. You want to feed a food which is high protein - meaning the meat source must come from wholesome muscle meat. Make sure to select only food that list chicken, lamb, rabbit, beef, turkey, venison, salmon, whitefish, herring or a combination or those and not one that says by-products (chicken by product, meat by product, fish by product) Stay away from too much fillers like corn, corn gluten meal, wheat, wheat gluten, soy, oatbrans, etc. These are all cheap filler which help reduce the cost of manufacturing but brings little to no benefit to your kitten. You would also want to stay away from preservatives like BHA/BHT and Ethoxyquin which are proven to be harmful to your kitten. Also you do not want other artifical preservatives such as propylene glycol and propolyneglycol .You need natural preservatives such as Vitamin C, Vitamin A or Rosemary. Your cat need an essential amino acid called Taurine. Cats can only receive this from eating wholesome meat. Choose a food that contains ample amount of Omega 3 sources - Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil or Canola Oil. When you are well educated in learning how to read pet food ingredients, shopping for the best food for your cat and kitten would be easier.
    Here is a great site on just that: http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    =D> Excellent advice Lucy Belle =D>
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 September, 2008
    I am a Diabetic - and I am even rarer because I was born with it. I have eaten Fancy Feast and Fancy Feast Medleys all of my life. I can't eat anything else. I am now a healthy happy 8 pound 3 year old, who just happens to need Insulin twice a day. As far as Fancy Feast being cheap - I don't think $.70 a can is cheap - and $1.00 a can for Medleys. Luckily Mom has a lot of coupons.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    I eat Fancy Feast almost exclusively, and it drives my human crazy, because she makes a raw turkey recipe that Hattie enjoys. When I was at the shelter, I refused to eat anything but FF grilled salmon (and my human HATES to serve anything containing fish). Since coming to live here, I have compromised from time to time but pretty much have stuck to FF. We are relatively fortunate, I guess, that we can get the standard Fancy Feast for between 50-53 cents at PetSmart -- thought THAT was expensive till I saw Morgan's post about 70 cents a can. At that price, it's definitely less expensive to feed raw!!! I have a feeling I'll start seeing more and more turkey in my meals. In fact, the other day I got a sprinkling of chicken Liv-a-Little treats as a topping on my dinner, and I really liked that! (I think the human was a little relieved.)
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    I like Fancy Feast, but I only get it maybe once a week, otherwise I get prescription dry food, I have a kidney disorder and when I get sick of the dry stuff (or when Mommy needs to slip some meds in) it's pretty good for me, but as a treat, not on a daily basis
  • Kate McCormickKate McCormick ColumbusMember Posts: 232
    edited 22 September, 2008
    Hi gang! Thought I would chime in on this one, being Fancy Feast obsessed! I think it\'s pretty much common knowledge that mass-market kitty food isn\'t necessarily the best thing for us to eat. However, I\'ve never had a bad experience with it. And to be quite honest, it\'s really the only thing I WILL eat. Sometimes the older we get, the pickier we get. Plus, I also have the disadvantage of getting regular chemo. treatments, which tends to make my appetite fluctuate. Mommy figures that as long as I am eating something, it\'s all good! As for the kitty foods that vet\'s recommend, I find them to be too bland for me, and ALWAYS turn my nose up at them. Trust me, Mommy has tried them all. So, on that note, I\'m going to give Fancy Feast two paws up....and now it\'s nap time! Purrs to you all! =;
  • Ruth BrouwerRuth Brouwer HuntsvilleMember Posts: 10,651
    edited 22 September, 2008
    When I was sick with colitis earlier this summer, I stopped eating. The vet said I needed to eat to keep from developing fatty liver disease. But I wouldn\'t eat hard or the normal FF I used to love Mom bought vet food. YUCK! Mom bought Tiki food. YUCK! Mom bought FF in the green cans. YUM!!!! Now I am all well and I get green can FF. I won\'t eat anything that has a strong odor to it! I take one whiff and walk away. But I\'m well!
    edited 24 September, 2008
    Thanx guys for the friendly posts. FF aint cheap the one I get is a dollar a small can and has meat as the first two ingredients. Im picky on what I fed my animals and read labels yea there some crud in there but atleast hes being fed. Hes on wellness core dry food full time and gets the can as a dinner before I go to bed. Belive me try sleeping with a Burmese mix that has not gotten his way ya wont be sleeping well. Grim will tell you about his lack of wet food until you comply. When we can get over to petco he dose get wet wellness which is also a dollar a can we just live closer to target so the FF is easier since I dont have a car and rely on my mom to get me around or the bus. Sorry that turnedinto a rant woopsy :-#