Looking for a LOW protein low fat food please!

Wendy BarkettWendy Barkett Roanoke........DallasMember Posts: 3,660
edited 25 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
My friend looks just like me but is a boy. He started going pee outside of his litter box. His vet said "We need to get him on a low protein low fat food". Can you help??

Comments

• Wendy BarkettWendy Barkett Roanoke........DallasMember Posts: 3,660
    edited 24 September, 2008
    Ok never mind. I don't see where I can delete this post but a friend found some at the vet office. Thanks kitties~
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    Just curious, what did they give you?
  • Amanda StarAmanda Star VictoriaMember Posts: 221
    -echoes Rasha- Almost all the foods you get at a vets' office have nasty ingredients like cereals and by products. Brands like Hills and Purina are especially prone to this. You might want to check the ingredients to make sure there isn't anything gross in it. There are a lot of high quality foods with less protein and fat in them, so there are better options than eating a prescription food most of the time.
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    Low Protein food usually contains plant protein which is not what I would feed to my cat but just curious as to why your cat would even need it. If it is for FLUTD (UTI) the correct food is HIGH protein, low carb and grain free.
  • Wendy BarkettWendy Barkett Roanoke........DallasMember Posts: 3,660
    I only asked what she said her vte said whicih was low protein. I gave her the link and she will need to talk to her vet about it. Since she will have to talk to her vet, if she misunderstood I am sure it will come out when she sees she is asking about a low protein food. http://www.felinecrf.com/managd.htm
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    I really don't think a cat should be on a low protein diet for peeing outside the box. Does anyone agree?
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 25 September, 2008
    Nope , one needs a high protein grain free wet diet, that is lower in phosphorous, and Wellness happens to be lower in it than alot foods. One can also give phosphate binders aswell. But going the opposite of the diet I mentioned is going to mean more troubles down the road. Cats are carnivores period!