Kitty sick from Meow Mix!

Patricia BlegenPatricia Blegen LouisburgMember Posts: 62
edited 27 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I found this in one of my rescue sites: This is from a friend of mine - think it’s worth passing on Here is a complaint that I just submitted to Target and to “Meow Mix.” Target refunded my money but said I had to complain separately if I wanted them to pull the product from the shelves. May be too late for many other cats. FYI --- beware. Isla was the only one who would even touch the food and she’s very ill now. Vomiting, diarrhea, can’t eat anything. Vet says, “food poisoning.” Even Mickey-the-chowhound wouldn’t touch it. I feel terrible that I let Isla eat it. I recently returned a case of cat food after trying to feed it to my multiple cat household. Only one of six cats would touch it; the others refused. The one who ate it became violently ill and ended up in the hospital. The food was the new Meow Mix brand “Wholesome Goodness” (or something like that…it was a brand new variety that I was trying for the first time). I am very concerned that other cats may suffer the same fate and that their owners may not realize that it was the food making them sick. It was most definitely the food as my vet diagnosed “food poisoning” in my cat. Thank god she is young & healthy otherwise, or she might have died. Thank you for considering a recall on this harmful product.

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 19 September, 2008
    Hi Spot sorry to hear about that, I was wondering if you could please post this on a forum at itchmoforums.com There are alot of kitties and pets on that site who would like this info. Thanks.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 27 September, 2008
    Thanks for posting this, will put it on our cat show board, most of which nobody feeds anyhow, we all know it is garbage, as are all cat foods sold in grocery stores. But good to keep the info in circulation. As for what happened to your kitty, that I can help you with. Find out who mfg\'s the Meow Mix, it should be on the bag, get any full names of corporations listed on there, as well as any numbers listed. Then call them and complain. Be poliet, no swearing, no yelling, but be very firm. Write down who you talked to, and what they said, do not accept we will pass this on. Tell them, you are going to the top, and the newspapers and the television, and CNN, and you want this pulled, and you want your money back for your vet costs. Then call the news papers and the television stations. In light of what has happened with the wet food, and now the baby formula, from China, they will be more than happy to air this. Expect alot of opposistion and nastyness at the lower levels, just keep working your way to the top. I have a corp book at work, I talk to the big boys all day, I know how to work the system, and keep moving up. Saw a dog locked in a car, on a very hot day, at the grocery store, went to the manager, who said there is nothing he can do, expected that, I said watch me. It was a very large grocery store corp, worked my way to the top, did not, take no for an anser, and got them to now announce on the public address system, not to leave your pets or children locked in the car. Even made them do the research on the temps. Took on Fed Ex, and won, and got my money back, went right to the top with that one too. So, I excell at this stuff, and you better believe, if it happened to Bumpurr, you would already see it on CNN. Let me know if you need help. =;
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 September, 2008
    Food poisoning usually refers to an infection caused by bacterial contamination in food. Did you maybe buy a can that was dented or otherwise had its seal compromised? That's about the only way I can think of getting bacterial food poisoning, since canned food is cooked right in the can so it's sterile until the seal is broken, and bacteria generally don't thrive on dry food because they need moisture to survive.:-k