Help - food for cat with liver problems

Gina GroneGina Grone Beatrice, NebraskaMember Posts: 217
edited 28 September, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
After several weeks of me feeling sick and throwing up, and several visits to the doctor, we found out that I have some problems with my liver. Three of my liver levels are just a little bit into the high range. I\'m not jaundiced or anything, but I am also anemic. All of my other results are in the normal range. I\'ve lost a lot of weight, too. :( Mom gives me medicine every morning for my tummy and every noon she gives me Pet-Tinic to help with the anemia. Both seem to be helping. Since I came home from the vet on Friday, Mom says I seem to be livelier and I\'m eating more - but, she has to follow me around with the food dish and keep encouraging me to eat because I\'m easily distracted and startled by the other cats in the house. She\'s working hard so I will eat. Here\'s the problem. The doctor sent mom home with some Science Diet L/D canned food for me. This stuff is kind of gross. I ate some of it then decided I didn\'t want any more. Mom said she didn\'t blame me. I wouldn\'t even look at it when she tried to give me more tonight. I do like things like salmon and boiled chicken, and mom wonders if it\'s OK to give me this until I start feeling better. Mom is going to talk to the vet about other foods, but she was hoping some of the other cat moms and dads would have some ideas for her about a diet for someone like me, with liver problems. She would really appreciate any advice, cause she loves me a lot and wants me to feel good and be a happy kitty again.

Comments

• Nicole ZiembaNicole Ziemba Member Posts: 295
    edited 8 September, 2008
    I am not sure of what foods are better for your situation but i do know Science Diet is not the best of foods...a lot of corn in there. Do a search in your area for a holistic DVM, they usually are Nutritionist as well. Being a DVM, they are a medical vet as well. You will get a lot of back and forth on here with people saying wet vs. dry or vice versa. So all I will say is look for a vet that specializes with nutrition, most vets do not and push Science Diet/Hills. Good luck and get better!!
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 8 September, 2008
    Rosita you may not feel like eating right now too much, but you need to eat. My cat bible says you may need to have a feeding tube put in, if in fact you have liver problems that are not getting better. Your body needs a high protein low carb diet. The S/D in my opinion is crappy food (too high in carbs.) You could try some Wellness grain free or Evo, or Natures Variety Instinct canned foods. Good luck and get better soon. |^|
  • Gina GroneGina Grone Beatrice, NebraskaMember Posts: 217
    edited 28 September, 2008
    Just as an update... I am feeling soooooo much better now! I am eating well, gaining a little bit of weight back and throwing up a lot less. I have energy and am playing a lot more. My good days are beginning to outnumber my bad days, and Mom\'s very happy with my progress. We are giving up Science Diet food and Mom brought home two new kinds of canned food - California Natural and Instinct. So far, I have loved both, but I went nuts for the Instinct lamb. She bought some California Natural kibble for my brother cause he\'s addicted to dry food. Unlike me, he needs to lose weight. She wants him on the wet food, too, but for now she\'s doing a gradual switch. We\'re going to retest my liver enzymes in about a week and see where we\'re at. Mom\'s very hopeful. Boy it feels good to feel good again! :D
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 28 September, 2008
    L/d is growse but I have a dog that possibly had a liver shunt. I know that with and liver problems lower protein is a good thing. Home cooked meals are probably best because there are recipes out there made for liver problem animals. Unfortunatly grain free is the worst only because of the higher proteins. But there are alot of foods out there that are not high in protein like Wellness and a few others to. But you say you are feeling better so hopefully it was nothing major then. If your levels arent back to normal when you get tested again it is just something to think about anyways.