Who uses pill pockets?

Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
edited 6 October, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
OK so Lately I have been making a lot of posts! But we have been doing a lot of wondering about stuff. We go through a lot of pill pockets over here. Matilda takes thyroid meds twice a day. I take amytriptyline once a day and for the last few days a steroid pill that is cut in half to fit in pill pockets. That equals 5 pill pockets a day! We have always loved pill pockets. They are so much easier than mushing pills into food that we won\'t eat anyway! Lately when I get my pill pocket, I have figured out how to eat the pill pocket around the pill, and leave a soggy pill on the floor. Have I just become too smart for the pill pockets? Does anyone have any advice? :?

Comments

• Rosemarie ChociayRosemarie Chociay Southern New JerseyMember Posts: 151 ✭✭
    edited 25 September, 2008
    Has the pill touched the outside of the pill pocket at all lately. Cats seem to pick up on the scent of steroids easily (in our momma's experience( so she started using tweezers to hold the pill while inserting it into the pocket to reduce the amount of contact with the pill pocket and that seemed to work. Before Momma started doing that, she just used her fingers and I used to do exactly what you do now. You might also want to try using the pill pockets for dogs because they seem to be bigger and the pill can be hidden a bit easier (momma thinks the cat ones are a bit small for most pills). Sorry we can't be any more helpful. *head bonks* Rikki
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 25 September, 2008
    I tried pill pockets with Isabelle when she was on amytriptyline, and she ate them for about a week before figuring out there was a pill inside. After that, there was no way she was going to touch them. But she is funny about treats anyway. Like Rikki said, be very careful about getting any of the pill residue on the treat (especially if you cut them in half so there are crumbs). I\'d also try throwing a \"non-pill\" pocket out every now and then so they don\'t always know if there\'s a pill in it or not. Isabelle is on prednisone pills now, so we\'ve just gotten very good at popping pills. She doesn\'t even try to escape anymore, but is still the master of lock-jaw!!! :))!
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 26 September, 2008
    Last night I was very careful when putting the pills in the pockets. I also rolled them into a ball and Leaf ate them up like he used to! Thanks for the tip. Hopefully we can keep this up! =D>
    edited 6 October, 2008
    For the last week, I refuse my pill pockets! I actually run away from them when Mom puts it in front of me. Mom has not been able to get me my pill for days now! She doesn't know what to do. I am too smart for pill pockets now!
  • Rachel *Rachel * Member Posts: 109
    edited 6 October, 2008
    RUN FOR YOUR LIFE LEAF!!!:)) I'm on a daily dose of Triamcinalone EVERY day for the rest of my life. My mommy got some pill pockets from GREENIES, and I liked them ok, for the first 2 days. After that, I'd eat around my pill too, and since it wasn't coated, it just started to crumble once it hit the floor. My mom doesn't use them anymore. Instead, she finds a kind of treat I REALLY like and want all the time (It used to be Temptations Naturals, but now, I'm REALLY into this Friskies Party Mix stuff). Even though they are hard treats, and she can't shove the medicine into them, she uses them to trick me. I can smell my medicine, but also the treat, and I want that treat so bad, I'll take the bitter steroid to get it. My mom just feeds me 3 regular treats, one at a time. Then grabs the pill, puts it under 1 treat, grabs another "freebie" treat, and hands me the treat with the pill under it. I'll sniff it, because I know its there, but then there's an overwhelming (at least for me) smell of 2 treats, so I'll try to take it. She holds it slightly upwards, so I have to look up, then lets me try to take the treat, and when I start to latch on, she drops the medicine into my mouth, then immediately drops the treat in right after it. This way, I chew up my treat, and my pill, and am never the wiser. Then she gives me 2 more freebie treats, and I am happy and go about my business! Hope something works for you, I know how important my medicine is (I have allergies so bad, liquid fills up my lungs within a day if I miss a dose), and I'm sure you guys will figure out something too!:-h
    edited 6 October, 2008
    Mom just went to the store and bought salmon flavor pill pockets. I ate it up! I just need more variety in my life! :))