perscription food?

Paige WillisPaige Willis ChicagoMember Posts: 3,409
edited 19 October, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Today I spent the day at the vet with a nice ol' UTI. I was given Science Diet S/D canned to eat for now, and then was told that I would be switched over to another food for maintence after about 30 days or so. When I asked the vet if there was an alternitive food, she said she didn't know of one. When I asked her what was in the S/D that assisted in helping the UTI she said "the ingredients." SOOOO... I need your help guys. I don't want to feed my cat something with "pork by-product" as the first ingredient paying 1.50 per can forthe rest of his life. What are my options?!?!?! I was feeding Avoderm cans (they were on sale so I loaded up) but... maybe too much protien and he's not drinking enough?? Someone with more knowledge, help a cat out!

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 19 September, 2008
    Where to begin here, I will just say that with my experience with UTI, a grain free high protein wet food has worked wonders for both my cats. This is a touchy subject here about food, all I will say is that we all have to educate ourselves here on nutrition, by reading books, reading online, and talking to vets that have gotten more nutrition education than what they get in vet school, dont just rely on them for nutritional info. I will just give you some good sites to go to Im just going to type them out as I dont know how to do live links. catinfo.org catnutrition.org felineoutreach.org maxhouse.com There is more but I dont want to overwhelm you. I will also recommend a book by Elizabeth Hodgkins called "Your cat, simple new secrets to a longer stronger life" She has some websites that you can search for here is one of them you can copy and paste into your browser http://www.all-about-cats.com/your_cat.htm Good Luck Barrister, and if you have any questions I would be happy to pmail you.
  • Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 19 September, 2008
    Hi Barrister, I think you answered your own question just by looking at the ingredients of the Hill\'s s/d. You can see there\'s no magical or even medical ingredients in there, in fact it\'s pretty poor ingredients. For the price you\'d pay for a can of that crap you could be eating like a prince! Shadow gave some excellent links for you to check out and I\'ll give you a few hints on some better foods you can try. Remember wet food is best for keeping the kidneys healthy and the bladder flushed to prevent stone formation. My mommy always adds some extra water to our canned to to make it extra moist and we really enjoy it that way. Some good foods to consider are: Wellness California Natural EVO Natural Balance Good Luck Barrister, let us know how you\'re doing, OK?
  • edited 19 September, 2008
    MMmmmm, protein! I love protein! Us cats are MADE to eat protein! Most UTI problems stem from a alkaline/acidic imbalance in commercialized pet food on account of all the silly fillers they put in them (corn, wheat & other \"byproducts\"). If you have a UTI, definitely take the medicines the vet gives you to address the immediate problem. But for long term health, try making the (slow and easy) switch to a grain free food. Just my 2 meows.
    edited 20 September, 2008
    Loki and Bandit are right, and I just pmailed you :)
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    When my kitty was dealing with FLUTD (UTI), I was recommended SD C/D by my vet. I knew it was coming and luckily I equip myself with knowledge on feline nutrition and managed to convince my vet that my kitty does not need SD. I started her on a RAW diet for 6 weeks before transitioning back to exclusive wet. RAW would be perfect but it is not for everyone. I am unable to maintain it but if you could, give it a try. http://www.rawfedcats.org/ http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html If you would prefer feeding commercial, choose one that is high protein, low carb and grain free. Eliminate dry at all cost. Make sure water is available 24/7.
    Here is another good link I found on Urinary tract, and the next chapter is about teeth. http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch4.php
  • Thomas RyanThomas Ryan Cape CoralMember Posts: 111
    edited 19 October, 2008
    Hills science diet prescription is garbage, in my opinion. Most vets have deals with hills, they only let vets sell it, give them a great price, you buy it from them, they make $. My vet, whom I still think is awesome and wouldn't go to anyone else, put 'Bama on it as a hypo-allergetic diet to see if it would help her IBD and other symptoms, and it didn't work. Hills prescription has dies, filler, just smell it yourself and see, would you eat it? I wouldn't. I've been researching this like crazy lately, try other brands like Spots Stew, By Natural Organics, Wellness grain free. Spots stew actually smells like actual food. Not that cats have the same diets as us, they like the stinky stuff, but I never realized there were much healthier alternatives to Iams and science diet right in Petco and Petsmart.