Leash walking

April BennettApril Bennett Terre HauteMember Posts: 97
edited 26 June, 2005 in Behavior & Training
I want to teach my kitten Aragorn how to walk on a leash, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. Is a harness better, or just a regular collar? Also, if I use a harness for walks, do I still use a regular collar normally? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Little Aragorn! There is a big discussion on leashes and harnesses under the Health topic. It is really not hard to learn, if your humans are patient and if you like it. You ought to have a harness and not attach a leash to your regular collar. Safer and won't hurt your neck! It may be hard to find a really small harness...you may have to wait! But a good way to start is to wear a collar to get used to it, then if you get a harness, wear it around the house for a bit every day. Then the human will add the leash and see how you feel about that. Check out that other thread, but if you need more, come back here and there are lots of kitties who can help!
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Aragorn, I have heard that humans can introduce their kitties to the lease and harness by leaving it out for a few days for them to sniff and get used to. Once they are comfortable with the way it smells and looks you can try rubbing /scratching them with it, or playing with them...just get them used to it VERY slowly before putting it on. As for the actual walking, I'm not sure how to do that. I know there are some expert kitties among us, tho! Good luck...
  • April BennettApril Bennett Terre HauteMember Posts: 97
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks for all the great advice!
  • Jacquelyn HalderJacquelyn Halder Member Posts: 32
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I feel for you! I'm terrified to have ANYTHING slipped over my head...no way am I letting Mommy leash train me! (Mommy's note: Yes, WAY!) Lol! I'm going to attempt it, Kirby's great about getting into the carrier, but no way can I put a harness on him...he had some sort of mishap at the shelter b4 I got him...traumatized him. Kody's just plain terrified of the carrier AND harness! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & I'll share any triumphs we may have or wee bits of (hopefully) progress at least! Lol! Good Luck to YOU!
  • Sapphire DarkmoonSapphire Darkmoon TelfordMember Posts: 77
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Leashes are bad. My freedom will be destroyed! *runs into a wall*
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Great points, Felica! Your ideas should be implemented before getting into sister Selket's phase! Guys, it's not Hard! So now, you have smelled and touched and played with the dreaded new things. Then do what Selket said: get used to having them put on; walk around the house with the gear. A bit every day. It's usually when the leash gets added that cats Stop. So, add the leash, let the kitty walk around with it dragging, or play with it while it's on. Do this every day or more than once a day. (You're not out of the house, yet, okay?) Humans--give lots of praise!! When you act like you are familiar with all this stuff on, the human will take the end of the leash and see if you care to wander around with them. Wow. Not too bad, huh? (You're still not outside yet.) Keep repeating, as above. Eventually you and your human should be able to walk around your house. When going outdoors for the first time, go in the yard, or a quiet place. Starting on streets is not good. Repeat, repeat, repeat. And let us, ME and Selket, know how you do!! [uh, did I get this right, those of you who are leash-walkers?]
  • Jinny PotterJinny Potter AthensMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Aragon, I agree with what the others said about leaving the harness and leash out for a few days. I always have to sniff and rub against things before I feel comfortable with it. My parents eventually put just the harness on me for a few minutes and then distracted me with my favorite toy and treats. After doing this for a week or so, they attached the leash onto the harness, again distracting me with toys and treats. We tried walking around the house for a few minutes, and now I go for walks everyday with dad. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!
  • Jahoolahoop HojangiJahoolahoop Hojangi Klamath FallsMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I hate leashes...until I go outside! You can't walk me like a dog, so instead my owner just follows me around while I explore.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Phil... you're too cool for leash school! --the fiends
  • Rabeka IvieRabeka Ivie Sky ValleyMember Posts: 186
    edited 27 February, 2006
    That is just Fabu advice to leave the leash out for a few days. I personally am *terrified* of that danged harness, but Mom thinks I would loooove to go for walks. Now she has new ammo! I might have to track you all down and tickle your tummies til you regret giving her ideas! Grumpy, Erland
  • April BennettApril Bennett Terre HauteMember Posts: 97
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Update: Mom took me to PetsMart the other night on my leash and I did great! She only put me on it once around the apartment! I am a very fast learner. PetsMart was fun, and since Mom said I have to wear my leash to go there, I think it is worth it.
  • Cynthia StichCynthia Stich Member Posts: 762
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My sister Sierra and I both walk on leashes - well, actually we explore the yard and our mom follows us and keeps us out of trouble! If she needs us to go with her - she will tug gently on the leash - but if we don't "listen" she picks us up and carries us to where she wants us. The rest of the cats in the household just couldn't get used to it - Dusty crawled around on his belly and refused to walk -- he acted like he was being tortured! Use a harness for outside, as a cat can slip out of a collar by backing up and scrunching down their head. I don't leave the harnesses on indoors unless supervised - as they migh get caught on something, or get their foot caught in the harness. You already got some good advise from previous posters. Good luck - let us know how it goes!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am in Day Three of the harness and leash being out on my favorite rug. Mom and DAd seem to get quite a kick out of this. I don't understand. It just sits there, taunting me... So I dominate it! I lie down on it and rub it and mark it and make it my own. Mom even caught me *licking* it! Howww embarrassing! She says soon we will see how I do with it being ON me. I wonder what that means? She's going to drape it on me?? How silly.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    This morning, my mom put the harness over my head! She didn't strap me in, but she did sit with me and give me sooo many treats! Especially if I walked over to her to get them! Mom says the harness is too small, and it makes her sad because she got a small dog harness.... I know, I know... I AM A LARGE DOG, not a SMALL DOG! Sheez, woman... LAter after she took it off, she found me lying on my rug trying to get my head back in so I could collect more treats... Well really I was just marking it and all, but it sure LOOKED like I was trying to get my head through!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ATTENTION! We interrupt this thread for an important announcement! Brought to you by Felix. Through me. Meow there, fellow Catsters... We -- my buddy Jacques and myself -- are trying to help out our friend Sweetie. Sweetie is a delightfully charming cat who loves to play matchmaker...only she hasn\'t yet found a match for herself. So, to help Sweetie find the cat of her dreams, Jacques and I are hosting the first ever \"Cat-lorette.\" If you\'re up for the challenge of winning Sweetie\'s heart, be one of the first 25 cats to sign up in the \"Sweetie\" thread under Catster crushes. All \"rules\" will be explained there. There, you\'ll also have the chance to meet Sweetie, and get a sense of what she\'s looking for in a crush. Good luck to all, and look forward to meeting you in Sweetie\'s thread! Meow, Felix