Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

2 cats, 2 litterboxes?

Emily LeBoeufEmily LeBoeuf Member Posts: 56
edited 15 August, 2005 in Behavior & Training
My husband and I recently got a new kitten. They have each been using their own litterboxes because they've been separated up until recently when they've gotten used to each other. Even when they were both out they were still continuing to use their "own" litterboxes. Then yesterday Oliver (the baby) used Bagheera's box. She doesn't seem to have gotten upset by going to the restroom somewhere she shouldn't, yet. Should I worry about her getting upset by this? Will they share litterboxes?

Comments

• MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When my sister Selket came, the cat mother was prepared with a new litter box and feeding bowls and everything you can imagine. I don't think we ever used but one of anything. Same [so they tell me] when Jacques came to be Selket's pal. In short, WE always used one litter box, one food dish, one water dish...and the cat mother thinks this saves ever so much space and cleaning for her although it is a mystery! I suggest you let them figure it out. --Vijay
  • Emily LeBoeufEmily LeBoeuf Member Posts: 56
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think we'll just wait and see how it goes. Oliver is in quarantine until he finishes with his worming medication so Baghi won't risk getting worms herself. I think they will share just fine. We'll see though on Thursday.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When my sis, the Beast, came to live with us at first we were kept seperated, so of course she had her own litter box. After we\'d been introduced and started sharing the whole house, our mommy kept both litter boxes available for a while. Once she was satisfied that Beastie knew where the other one was and that we were both comfortable sharing it, she took away the second one and we\'ve shared one ever since. Some cats like to have their own, though, from what I\'ve heard. So some humans decide to keep the litter boxes seperate and have more success that way. Like Vijay said, you have to see what works best for you and go with it. Every kitty\'s different! Good luck, and congratulations on the new addition! : )
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi all, All three of us use one huge litter box with shredded newspaper. Mum cleans the whole thing every morning, sprays it down with a cleaner, lines it with newspaper and tops with shreds. Then when mommy and daddy go to bed, she throws on some more shreds. We all used one box right from the start. I guess if one of us had a problem with this, we'd have more than one box...it's really up to the kits. We all have our separate feeding places, tho. hehe
  • Tracy HowellTracy Howell ScottsdaleMember Posts: 529
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Po and I had 2 litter boxes and we'd use one for stinkies and one for tinkles....how weird is that? Mom got sick of our fussing and only uses 1 box now.
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy gave me my own litterbox when she fur-st adopted me....but I liked my sister Zoe's better, so I used it. She doesn't seem to mind, so Mommy put away my litter box and now we have just one.
  • Lynzie BaldwinLynzie Baldwin Los AngelesMember Posts: 660
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It sounds like it all depends on how the kitties feel about it. We've always had 1 litter box per cat (cleaned daily). When I was alive, I was the reason for that ... I REFUSED to touch kitty litter, so I had a litter box full of Feline Pine. Topaz hated the smell of the Feline Pine, so she got a box full of the clumping clay litter. Then when Gomer moved in, he wouldn't use a box that any other cat had ever used. So he got his own. I understand that Topaz and Gomer still respect one another's potty territory.
  • Nathalie FerreiroNathalie Ferreiro North Orange CountyMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Plato and I share a box. No problems.
  • Charity JonesCharity Jones Valencia, San Fernando Valley,Member Posts: 423
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Congrats on the new addition to the family! Better yours than mine, LOL! (if mom brings another one home, I will just flip out!) We are a 5 feline household, and we have 4 boxes to share. We have 2 upstairs & 2 downstairs. This seems to work best. There is never a wait for the litter box, it never gets that dirty, & I don\'t have to share with my 2 little brothers that make a mess whenever they use the box. Dad cleans all 4 boxes every morning & Mom cleans all 4 boxes every night before bed. That way, we never have smelly boxes (yuck!).
  • Megan EverettMegan Everett RaleighMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think the cats always get to dictate how many boxes are needed and who gets which box. I got extremely lucky with my cats. I have 6 of them and only 2 boxes! I wouldn't typically recommend this but it works perfectly for my guys. They're all so used to each other that they don't even mind going two at a time in a box.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It definitely depends on the cat. I am an "only" cat and I have three litterboxes (my human is a bit nutty since I used to have litter box issues. She says, "rather to clean out an extra box than to clean cat pee out of the rug!"). I like using different boxes for poop and pee. And many experts say it should be enough boxes to have one for each kitty, plus one, in case one of the kitties starts guarding one and not letting the other kitty use it. But if you are learning together as kittens, maybe you won't have this problem.
  • AC CastoAC Casto Member Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I Like My own Box thank you. Mama brought home a new kitten this week, and I just don\'t like her one bit. So Ive been sleeping in my box ( and guarding my bowls.) I\'m not sharing!!!,(that\'ll teach her)!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ATTENTION! We interrupt this thread for an important announcement! Brought to you by Felix. Through me. Meow there, fellow Catsters... We -- my buddy Jacques and myself -- are trying to help out our friend Sweetie. Sweetie is a delightfully charming cat who loves to play matchmaker...only she hasn't yet found a match for herself. So, to help Sweetie find the cat of her dreams, Jacques and I are hosting the first ever "Cat-lorette." If you're up for the challenge of winning Sweetie's heart, be one of the first 25 cats to sign up in the "Sweetie" thread under Catster crushes. All "rules" will be explained there. There, you'll also have the chance to meet Sweetie, and get a sense of what she's looking for in a crush. Good luck to all, and look forward to meeting you in Sweetie's thread! Meow, Felix