Supplements to strengthen bones?

Laura DickeyLaura Dickey Long Beach, CAMember Posts: 1,312
edited 18 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Does anyone know if cats/kittens can take calcium or any other supplement to strengthen their bones? We got a call from the adopter of one of our foster kittens that was place a few weeks ago -- apperently he had jumped or fallen off a bunk bed & broke his leg. The adopter said their vet thought he might have brittle bones from not getting enough nutrition from his mom (his litter came to me at the age of about 5 weeks -I don't know what the situation was with their mom). Their vet thought he might continue breaking bones, but apparently didn't offer any suggestions of how to strengthen them. I know people take calcium to strengthen bones, but don't know if cats can take it. This kitten is only about 4-5 months old now, so he's still growing. Thanks!

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 November, 2008
    Very interesting question! I wonder if some of the holistic food brands would help. You'd have to read the labels to see if they have calcium,etc. Hazel Lucy
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 16 November, 2008
    Grind eggshells to a powder after they've dried, and mix in with the wet food. Approx. 1 tsp eggshell powder to 8oz. of meat should do the trick!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 November, 2008
    Dietary supplementation can only go so far. The body holds onto what it needs. Protein supplements only build muscle until the body's musculature is sufficient to support an individual's regular activity. Mineral supplements build bone, as before, but only until the density supports the individual's activity level. You probably need some good supplements, like Watson recommended...just don't forget to supplement them with exercise! Play, play and more play! |^|
  • Marie WoltersMarie Wolters GreensboroMember Posts: 17
    edited 16 November, 2008
    You should try holistic food it\'s safe and it has all the vitamins and minerals for healthy skin and coat along with healthy teeth and strong bones. The also have a supplement for cat\'s to help support joints. I swear by it my dogs and cat are on holistic food and they are very healthy. Try this link for more information: www.healthpetslive.com
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 17 November, 2008
    Ben is right, too! The more you exercise your bones and muscles, the stronger they will get!
  • Goolnar HawGoolnar Haw Member Posts: 2,525
    edited 18 November, 2008
    ground egg shells are something i learned about on dogster as well...give it a try...it\'s natural!!=;