Dandruff!

Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
edited 21 November, 2008 in Grooming
Meowmie is wondering if there's anything that can be done about my bad case of dandruff. We know this is what it is and not fleas. I am a beautiful black kitty, but all my dandruff doesn't make me look so good, y'know? When I was groomed in the summer, I looked good, but meowmie and daddy can't afford to have me groomed that often, and right now I have a open wound on my tush so I can't have a bath. Do the wipes work? If they do, i know mom will buy them for me. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 19 November, 2008
    I don't know how you'll feel about this, but..... A raw diet can do miracles for skin issues. A little research may convince you.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Thanks. Since I already make baby food for my grandson, I don\'t think it would be that much work to also do so for Delilah. I will do some research. =;
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Baby food can be a great way to transition a cat to raw. Next time you make up a batch of all meat baby food (no onion, garlic, or veg of any kind) give Delilah the bowl to lick and see what she thinks. You can use that as a base to start sneaking in raw meat. Does she like eggs? You could mix some egg into her meals once in a while. That could help. And also salmon oil or some other fish body oil can help with skin issues. www.rawfedcats.org is an excellent resource for starting your cat on raw. And there are a whole bunch of us on the raw forum here to help you out. I'm always so happy when people are open minded about finding out what might be best for their pets' health. Learning is a never ending process in all areas of life and it is so disheartening when people don't think there's anything to learn about nutrition. For pets and humans!
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 20 November, 2008
    =; Khina
  • edited 20 November, 2008
    In the winter I get dandruff pretty bad too. Mommy once asked the vet about it...and he suggested putting some kind of oil on my food. Mommy didn't do it....so I forget the kind of oil he said....but you could call your vet and ask what kind of oil it is. Winter has just begun....so I'll have my flakies soon probably.
    edited 20 November, 2008
    I've been brushing Delilah like crazy and the flaking has been cut down by about 99%. I think it's because she was sick and then at the vet's and I wasn't brushing her six times a day like I usually do. I often give the baby food my grandson doesn't eat (just plain meat, of course) to the cats. Izzie really likes it but the other two aren't so interested. I'll try again and see what happens. I'll also try the oil (I think it's called "Linatone". My mom used to put it on our dog's food when I was growing up.) Thanks!
    edited 20 November, 2008
    Linatone is a soybean oil base. Not only is it not as beneficial to carnivores because it's plant based, but many kitties have sensitivities or allergies to soy. Better to stick with an animal based oil like a fish body oil or emu oil.
    edited 21 November, 2008
    OK. You mean like Omega 3?
    edited 21 November, 2008
    Exactly. You can buy capsules and poke them to squeeze out the oil onto their food. Maybe someone else can chime in with the amounts here since I don't supplement my animals' food with omega 3 oil.
    edited 21 November, 2008
    I use that for my dogs. Poked a hole in it and tried to squeeze it on their food and it squirted out in the wrong direction and got all over me. I smelled like Desetin baby bum salve for the rest of the day! :-/