Taurine Question...

Denise SDenise S Member Posts: 54
edited 27 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Meow! How much taurine is too much?? If my kitten has 1-2 3 oz cans of a seafood mixed with beef/turkey/or chicken on a daily basis, is this bad? I try to give her beef/chicken/turkey but she seems to like the herring, sardine, trout, better. All wet Wellness flavors.... I do try to give her 1 3 0z can of beef/turkey/chicken and then the other 3oz is generally a fish mixed with chicken/beef/turkey. Welcome any thoughts.. Jixie's Human...:-k

Comments

• Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 23 November, 2008
    I don't think you should worry about that, but feeding seafood everyday is bad, because it can cause a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) Taurine is a water-soluble amino acid so what the body doesn't use is excreted.
  • Denise SDenise S Member Posts: 54
    edited 23 November, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification Zaphod... What is in the seafood that causes the UTI? Jixie will not be a happy camper but I am going to do my best to cut back on the seafood for her.... I can't even handle it when she starts to sneeze.... Much appreciated.. HM...
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 23 November, 2008
    Well, I don't think seafood 'causes' UTIs in all cats, but in some cats that are prone to getting them, it can aggravate the condition or bring it on - but that doesn't apply to all cats.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 23 November, 2008
    Jixie go to this thread where we talk about seafood. http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/575409 I would not worry about the food you are feeding :)
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 27 November, 2008
    Taurine is essential for cats (so much so that it is required by the FDA) and I have never heard of problems from overdosing. What you are feeding sounds like an appropriate amount for a kitten. I agree about cutting down on seafood too. The problem with doing that is you will never get them to eat anything else. Feeding a variety can help reduce your cat's risk of developing food allergies. I started my cat Angel eating a ton of different flavors when she was a kitten and it was the best thing I could have done. She is now a fearless eater and has only ever rejected eagle pack cans.