Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Need advice for calorie intake and weight loss.

Shelley LimegroverShelley Limegrover LaramieMember Posts: 26
edited 27 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I've been a bit of a chubby kitty ever since my master's new wife has known me and, health nut that she is, she has been determined to bring me back to a healthy weight, so here she is to ask you all what to do for me: The first thing I did after moving in with my husband and his cat was to switch her diet from Special Kitty to Iams and then to Eagle Pack. A few months later, my husband got me a brand new kitten of my own, a Siamese. When my kitten hit a year old, he was underweight and my husband's kitty hadn't lost a pound. I tried feeding her a healthy weight formula and putting his regular formula in a high place that only he ever accessed. It didn't help at all. Since reading up on feline nutrition, I have switched both of them to a 100% wet food diet (grain free wellness and Instinct). They have been on this diet for nearly a year now. Winter, the Siamese, is now just at optimal weight but Nexus, the chubby kitty, is still as chubby as ever. We've been splitting 3/4 a 5.5 oz can between them twice a day (depending on the exact meat source and brand this ranges from 150 to 180 calories/day per cat). A couple of weeks ago I decided to try splitting only 1/2 a can between them twice a day, but I am worried this is too little. I know they will whine and act like they are dying no matter how much I feed them, so how do I know if it's enough? The cans themselves recommend feeding a whole can per day for a 7 lb cat, so 1/2 the can is obviously much lower than recommended, but Nexus just isn't loosing any weight so I don't know what else to do. She is 14 lbs, spayed and 5 years old. Any advice??

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 19 November, 2008
    There are some tips here: http://catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm =;
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Have you tried feeding her 1/4 can and him 1/2 can simultaneously? If she isn't losing any weight at all, then reducing the food should help, but obviously you don't want to reduce the food on a healthy-weight cat. How active is she? It may be that a run up and down a flight of stairs a few times a day will help. She might have a naturally lower metabolism, and exercise will help her out. It's surprising that the diet changes have had absolutely no effect. Is your husband feeding her treats or something, or is she getting in the garbage or stealing food from the siamese? At any rate, I have one cat who will play "fetch" up and down the stairs with a fur mouse, and both will run after a laser pointer until they have to lie down. Whether or not you are able to reduce her food again, getting her moving should help her lose weight and contribute to her overall health.
  • Shelley LimegroverShelley Limegrover LaramieMember Posts: 26
    edited 19 November, 2008
    Now that I consider it a bit more, a lot of the problem could be that we haven't been consistent in the exact canned food we feed them. I stick with the same two brands, but there is a big difference in calorie content between, say, duck and chicken. At least one of the instinct cans lists its calorie content as nearly 250 where as some of the wellness cans go just below 200. I believe in keeping them on a variety of protein sources, so I will just need to be more aware of which cans are of the higher calories. Still, even with the 250 calorie cans, I think she should be losing at least a little weight on 3/4 can/day. My other concern is that, if I am feeding her a very low calorie intake and she is not losing weight, does this mean this is an OK amount of food or won't she still suffer other nutrient deficiencies? I think I'm going to keep her on exactly 150/day for now (the low end of what she's been getting all this time anyway) and try to increase her activity level. She'll chase after hair ties and what-not if I throw them. I'm not worried about the other kitty. I give him plenty of hand outs of the healthy sort on the side (such as pieces of canned chicken or fish from my dinner. . .we eat a lot of fish) I'm surprised that he isn't gaining weight with all the spoiling. My husband isn't the spoiling type, he gives me disapproving looks every time I'm feeling generous. So, needless to say, I'm sure he isn't sneaking treats to Nexus.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 20 November, 2008
    Here is a formula that you can use, weight of cat x 13.6 + 70 = the amount of calories your cat should have in a day. The amount on the cans are always overstated. Im glad that you have switched to better foods. My 2 are on Wellness and Evo wet, and are eventually going to feed part raw aswell. The site that Merlin posted is a great one to read. catinfo.org Sometimes it takes a long time to take the weight off, but that is the way it needs to be done, if they loose weight to quickly then they can get a liver disease. Shadow used to weigh 19lbs and its taken her a year and a half to get down to 14lbs.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 23 November, 2008
    it can take a long time to lose weight. Punkin took almost 6-8 months to lose alot of weight. loseing weight to fast is unhealthy as im sure you know. To get little miss lazy up and moving, i got a lazer pointer. Also got "da bird" and another wand toy that when you shake it, it makes a noise that sounds just like birds fluttering.
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 27 November, 2008
    It can definately take a lot of time to see weight loss. Are you totally sure that the chubby kitty isn't finishing your other cat's leftovers? I would definately try feeding them seperately just in case. Just like with people, diet alone doesn't always do the trick. Do whatever you can to get him more active. I suggest reading Your Cat by Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins. She has some great tips on keeping kitties fit and trim. Another thing that may be worth a try is calling Natura. Food companies can often be very helpful because they want you to keep using their food.