Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Orijen food-please read

Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
edited 27 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Got this email today about possible Orijen link to cat food poisoning. read this link. http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=1454

Comments

• Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 24 November, 2008
    There's a topic going on about this on Dogster. They determined it probably had something to do with the food being shipped. Not quite sure, though. It is pretty scary.
  • Jewels McblahJewels Mcblah Member Posts: 5,604
    edited 24 November, 2008
    The food was irradiated (basically microwaved) upon arrival in AUS. From what I've read this could very well be the cause of the issue. Champion Pet Foods have a Q&A on their homepage. From this link...http://www.vetpathology.org/cgi/content/full/44/6/912 Over a 4-year period, a total of 190 group-housed domestic short-hair breed cats aged 3 months to 3 years that were from an SPF breeding colony held at a research laboratory developed progressive hind limb ataxia and proprioceptive defects. The colony was established in February 1997, and the first cases appeared over a 2-month period in the autumn of 1998, with 30 animals out of a total of 120 exhibiting neurologic defects. A second "outbreak" of cases occurred over a similar time span in the autumn of 1999, with 70 cats out of a colony total of 200 SPF animals affected. A third cluster of cases presented in the autumn of 2001, when 90 animals out of a colony total of 220 cats presented with ataxia. Both SPF and conventional status cats had been fed to appetite on the same commercial formula ration (Gilbertson and Page Ltd., Welwyn Garden City, UK), except that the ration fed to the SPF cats had been irradiated by a single-exposure gamma-radiation treatment between 36.3 and 47.3 kGy (Cobalt 60 irradiator; Isotron Ireland, Tullamore, Ireland).
  • Stephanie NikolaiStephanie Nikolai Member Posts: 355
    edited 24 November, 2008
    That's scary... we have been feeding Orijen for about a year now (along with canned food) with no problems. It does sound very odd that it is isolated to a very specific area in a county that irradiates certain food products... let's hope they find out what is wrong and fix it quickly before more animals lose their lives. http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/Australia_Consumer_Release.pdf
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 24 November, 2008
    Good to know. Thanks for posting this.
  • Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 25 November, 2008
    Yet another reason I'm determined to transition to raw! At least I know what's going into the food!
  • Amber PaineAmber Paine Member Posts: 67
    edited 25 November, 2008
    That's very scary... :-O My thoughts are with the kitties families... So horrible... I bet they had no idea they food was irradiated... They thought they we giving there family members the best they could. It's all very unnerving... I've recently started feeding my cats and dogs "natural" foods... including Origen, along with other brands... I'm trying to give the best I can and I hope nothing this tragic will happen to my pets.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 25 November, 2008
    Hmmm... Mom went to the feed store recently, and was surprised to see that Orijen had disappeared from their shelves. She thought maybe they weren't having success with it, but maybe they read about that stuff and decided not to buy it for the time being...
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 25 November, 2008
    We have had good luck with Orijen and are continuing to eat it, but Mommy is watching carefully and if it appears it's not just an irradiation issue in Australia, she will switch us.
  • spotty dogspotty dog Member Posts: 86
    edited 25 November, 2008
    Just doing a quick crossover from dogster, just read it too here and thought it would help awareness: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cat-deaths-linked-to-pet-food/2008/11/23/1227375062012.html Hope everyone's cats are ok!
    edited 25 November, 2008
    Those kitties in the article were just so beautiful. It makes me so sad to know what happened to them. It also scares me since Orijen is what we use. And I'm wondering why irradiation would contaminate food... Part of me wants to switch foods immediately, the other wants to wait and make sure this is even an issue in the states. It's a really good food. But it's just such a nightmare what has happened to the cats in Australia.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 26 November, 2008
    Binks, I've read that the theory is that the irradiation process has caused the packaging to deteriorate and leak some kind of toxins into the food. We'll see what the test results show and if this is the case.
    edited 26 November, 2008
    Blade, that's what I was thinking. Mom doesn't microwave anything plastic because she's afraid of the chemicals leeching into the food. So, that would make sense. Mom is a bit of a panic freak, but she's remaining calm on this and getting all the facts before she makes drastic changes.
  • Michelle BlochMichelle Bloch Member Posts: 447
    edited 26 November, 2008
    Sorry to be brief, but here is the latest news from Itchmo on this subject. Australia has an irradiation law, and the Orijen problems were in Sydney. Orijen will no longer be sold in Australia. "Q: ISN’T IRRADIATION GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS SAFE? A: YES. But Irradiation is typically applied to human foods at doses between 5-10kGY. ORIJEN in Australia received a minimum level of 50 kGY and records recovered from the Australian irradiation facility show that ORIJEN was irradiated to levels reaching 61 kGY. THESE ARE VERY SUBSTANTIAL LEVELS OF IRRADIATION. Studies indicate that cats fed dry cat food irradiated at levels between 36 and 47kGY develop the same neurological symptoms as seen in the Australian cats."
    edited 27 November, 2008
    If this is the case, Orijen are not blameless here. They must have known their product would go through this irradiation process when it entered Australia and you'd think they'd have conducted some research of their own on this subject before a situation like this arose. They should have been aware about levels of radiation and been sure something like this could not happen. After all, their reputation as well as the safety of peoples pets were at stake. Last year we had a problem with a batch of 22 x 400g bags of Orijen containing the larvae of something called a 'warehouse beetle'. The retailer told us to throw away all the food and gave us a full refund. When we informed Orijen (for their benefit, as an infestation at their plant would have been a BIG problem) they were very dismissive and denied that the beetles could have got into the food at their plant (they must have done because the beetle larvae were sealed in the bags and the bags had not been penetrated). The manager or whoever it was that emailed me said "I've had a look around myself and couldn't see anything..." which was bizarre as these beetles hide in crevices and are very hard to spot. All in all I was disgusted in their poor attitude and haven't been impressed with the way they've handled this situation with their finger pointing attitude towards Australia, as if to say "It's all THEIR fault, those Australians and their irradiation...nothing to do with us!" I understand how you feel, Binks because we're in a quandary too. A year ago, Orijen was the ONLY grain free dried food I could get in the UK and even then I have to order it from Germany. Now I can get ZiwiPeak from Germany too and also Timberwolf Serengeti. Blade eats half ZiwiPeak and half Orijen as the ZiwiPeak works out so expensive to us as the only website I can get if from charges a lot for shipping to the UK, effectively doubling the price. I might be forced to try the Serengeti if I'm not satisfied with the outcome of this Orijen situation, even though Blade loves Orijen and has been in prime condition since eating it. And I haven't heard very good reports of Serengeti here on Catster...
    edited 27 November, 2008
    Here is Champion pet foods updated press release: CLICK HERE