Just had surgery for a blockage, and I hate that food the vet sent home!

Morgan LahmanMorgan Lahman EatonMember Posts: 12,658
edited 30 November, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I had a blockage, so I had surgery. Now, that went okay, but the vet sent home this food called Science Diet c/d and I hate it. Mama's pretty sure I won't get better if I don't eat, but she's worried about what other food to get me. Anyone else gone through this and what do you eat?

Comments

• Sherry StoneSherry Stone Member Posts: 526
    edited 25 November, 2008
    Any good quality, wet food should be good. Wellness core(I think that the name) is one of the ones I see mentioned on here fairly often. The wet food is much easier to digest, and kitties absorb so much more from it than dry kibbles! Also, since cats are geared to get their moisture from food, you don't have to worry about dehydration so much, which makes it easier on the bowels.
  • Morgan LahmanMorgan Lahman EatonMember Posts: 12,658
    edited 25 November, 2008
    Oh, yeah....Mama says she's not getting me any more dry food at all, and she's delving into the world of feline nutrition, which she thinks is a much more complex place than canine nutrition, where she's been til now, trying to feed my doggy bro, Sirius, a raw diet. She's tried to get me to eat some of that, but I'm just not interested.
    edited 25 November, 2008
    My mamma has been working at transitioning us for two weeks now. Sometimes we'll eat a little bit, sometimes not, but she's not giving up! After seeing how healthy my ferret friends have become on it, I guess I'd better get used to it! Here's a good link to read up on it, with some ideas on switching: http://www.rawfedcats.org/ Here's another good one: http://www.rawfed.com/myths/ Have fun reading! At least these should give you a good start with your research.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 25 November, 2008
    Any canned food will help keep your urinary tract healthy. Just eat more canned food and less/no dry food. Dry food contributes to dehydration which means crystals form because there isn't enough water in the body to flush them out. Feed any brand of canned food you like.
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 November, 2008
    I hated c/d also! Bleaghh what a yucky food it is. We currently eat trader joe's canned food, which is all natural, and doesn't have any bad ingredients in it.
  • Morgan LahmanMorgan Lahman EatonMember Posts: 12,658
    edited 29 November, 2008
    I lost my appetite altogether and my kidneys shut down. I'm off to the Bridge, to wait for Mama to get here. I'll see you all later!
  • edited 29 November, 2008
    OhMyCat OhMyCat... I am so sorry for your loss... our deepest sympathies to you and your family during this hard time... :((|:|
  • Laura ToddLaura Todd Rocky MountMember Posts: 116
    edited 30 November, 2008
    |/a/||:|:(( I'm so sorry! At least your kitty is in cat heaven!
    edited 30 November, 2008
    Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this:(( {{{{{hugs}}}}}