A step backwards? What\'s going on???

Joy HasenJoy Hasen Member Posts: 62
edited 9 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
Yesterday when we got home Gilligan was fine-ignored Serenity, sniffed her, but didn't growl/hiss. Today he has been growling and hissing and even swatted at her. Play is normal between those two-I know play swats, and I know aggression swats, and he's giving her the aggression swats. Why this shift all of a sudden?? I really don't know what's going on with him. He's seriously having some issues with her and she got a clean bill of health from the vet yesterday so I know it's not that he senses she's ill. He hasn't been chummy with her since her vet visit last week and today it's like almost a 180 from yesterday. I just don't know how to figure out what is bothering him. Will I ever????

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 9 December, 2008
    Two thoughts: Did the vet examine him too? Otherwise he might just be mad he had to go to the vet along. He'll probably get over it soon too, as long as you don't get too upset (if so, give him his own comfortable room, and Serenity the run of the house). Another issue might be that there is a stray or outdoor cat in the neighborhood making him nervous and mad, and he's taking it out on Serenity (it's called redirected aggression). If that's the case, you might want to identify the culprit and maybe ask their owners (if they are a house cat and not a stray) to keep their furry one inside so it doesn't come and hang out near your home.
  • Joy HasenJoy Hasen Member Posts: 62
    edited 9 December, 2008
    He wasn't examined, he just was out on the table to "pick up" the smell. I wasn't spending another $65 to have the vet check him over when it's really his HEAD that needs to be looked at, and he needs a shrink, not a vet at this point I think-nutsy cat!! :-/ It COULD have been a stray-there's an orange and white stray that HAS come around the neighborhood. I haven't seen it for months but it might be back. I'll have to watch. It's been over a week and I'm just anxious for him to get back to his old relationship with her-I'm hoping that by next Tuesday all this will be history and he will be loving her again-she misses him so much-you can just tell. Thanks for the suggestion-I'll keep my eyes peeled for another cat wandering around.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December, 2008
    Hi everycat, Since there have been several threads already on this issue, we'd like to refer any further comments to the thread which has, so far, received the most helpful replies: How long should I let it go? In the meantime, any redundant threads will be closed. Thanks for your cooperation! The Moderator Team
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December, 2008
    Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Catster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ