Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Scooting?

Kara EricksonKara Erickson OmahaMember Posts: 3
edited 20 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
The other day I went in the laundry room for something and Milo had just got out of the litter box. As soon as he got out he started scooting his butt on the ground. I thought it was VERY strange, as I had only ever heard of dogs doing that if they had worms or something. I thought maybe he was flushing the worms from his system from a dewormer I gave him last week. (We've had him for two weeks now). I picked him up and looked at his butt and he had a piece of poo stuck to his fur. I shook him gently over the litter box until it fell off. I put him down and he still scooted a bit more, then got up and walked out. I hadn't noticed him doing that before, nor have I seen him do it since (thought I admit I don't often catch them in the "act".) Besides the poo being stuck to his bottom, could there be other reasons he would scoot on the floor?? Oh, he is 14 weeks old, if that matters. I get asked that a lot, so I thought I'd throw it in. ;)

Comments

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 15 December, 2008
    Wow, what a handsome cat! What a gorgeous face! When a cat \"scoots\", that\'s a classic sign that something is going on with his anal glands. It\'s kind of like kitty hemmorhoids, sort of. The itching and burning and if it\'s let go long enough, pain are about the same. There are two sacs on either side of his anal opening that can become impacted. Usually, these glands empty when he poops, but if he happens to not have enough fiber in his diet, they can become sore. Some people (breeders and such) regularly empty these glands themselves, but for us laypersons, it\'s a lot better to take them to the vet when they need emptying. (Would YOU want someone squeezing your, uh, you know...) It\'s not a crises emergency, but the longer they remain impacted, the more sore they\'ll become and the more he\'ll scoot. If you have white carpeting, that\'s not such a good thing. ;)
  • Laura ToddLaura Todd Rocky MountMember Posts: 116
    edited 15 December, 2008
    His anal glands might be full, as Izzy mentioned. When Christmas began scooting around on the floor, I took him to the vet, and they just expressed the glands and told me to come back if I needed any follow-up.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 18 December, 2008
    as izzy mentioned it may be anal glands, but you are a longhair. when i get klingons i scoot too just to dislodge those little nuggets. so i would recommend checking for poopies and then the anal glands.
  • Anastasia OBrienAnastasia OBrien Member Posts: 15
    edited 18 December, 2008
    Sylvester is a long haired cat and he scoots when he has poo stuck to his bum after getting out of the litterbox sometimes. If Scooter is still scooting even after the poo comes off, then he may have more poo so I would just check and see if you can get it off of him...I know, gross, but otherwise, he'll keep scooting! The only other time Sylvester ever scooted was when he had a bit of diarrhea and his bum was sore. So, it sounds to me like it's no big deal - he's just trying to get the poo off.
  • Anastasia OBrienAnastasia OBrien Member Posts: 15
    edited 18 December, 2008
    Oops! I meant Milo - not Scooter! LOL.
  • Cassandra NoneCassandra None Member Posts: 406
    edited 18 December, 2008
    Er, my Scooter wants to know why everyone is talking about him. ::hahahaha::
  • Kara EricksonKara Erickson OmahaMember Posts: 3
    edited 19 December, 2008
    I hadn't saw him do it prior to that one incident, and haven't seen him do it since, so I think he was just trying to get the dingleberry off his bum. lol He was supposed to have an appt on Tues but my husband and son were in a car accident due to snow, so I had to cancel. Things have been crazy so I still need to reschedule, but I hope to do so tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help!! :)
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 19 December, 2008
    I think the vet visit is a good idea--I'm not sure Milo is even old enough for his anal glands to be full yet. He could have a parasite, or --who knows?
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 19 December, 2008
    That\'s true, Boo. Worms do make for itchy bums and he\'s at the prime age for them. The only way to tell if that\'s what it is is a vet visit either by mom with a poo sample in a plastic baggie or taking Milo in. \"Klingons\"????? That\'s hilarious!!! :))!
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 20 December, 2008
    Klingons! :))! That\'s funny! (My mom calls them McButtnuggets.) Mol, Little Red