My human\'s pregnant with her first..

Megan CMegan C St GeorgeMember Posts: 115
edited 21 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
We're concerned about what to expect because I am very possesive of her already and jealousy and mean spiritedness towards the new baby is a huge concern. I will always be Mom's first born, but I probably won't realize that when the baby's here. Is there any online resources about what we can do as a family to make the transition? Mom would love to cuddle up with both of us, but we realize that may not be a realistic expectation. Thanks!

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 20 December, 2008
    Here ya go: Cats and Babies As the article states, it all depends on the personality of the cat, and how the humans handle them before the birth of the human kitten.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 20 December, 2008
    our mom is 12wks along with her first. so far so good. mom has started training daddy in proper care so it's not overly weird. he helps feed us now and obviously cleans the box (you've been letting your daddy clean the box, right?). so we know he'll take care of us when mom can't. she is going to leave baby items out so we'll get used to it. and dad will bring home used receiving blankets so we can smell hooman kitten. and mom also blasts baby shows so we get used to high volume crying. good luck =;
  • Megan CMegan C St GeorgeMember Posts: 115
    edited 21 December, 2008
    Gracie - Thank you so much that's what we've been searching for! Lydia - Yes, Dad's been cleaning my box. I like the idea of raising the volume so I can get used to a crying baby.
  • Stephanie NikolaiStephanie Nikolai Member Posts: 355
    edited 21 December, 2008
    I have seen DVD and audio CD's full of baby noises and images to help dogs and cats get ready for the arrival of a baby. http://www.thesoundsofbaby.com/ http://www.babysounds4pets.com/index.html Those are just two that I found check your local shelter (if they have a gift store) to see if they have them in stock as well. Like all the other advice stated you just need to get the cats slowly ready for a change in their lifestyle.