Help, please - new to life with cats!

Cole LavinCole Lavin Member Posts: 119
edited 21 December, 2008 in Plus Friendly
Hello, All- I am new to cats and catster and I need a little help. We adopted a kitten that we named Agatha at the beginning of September. We have three dogs and all goes fairly well. (Agatha is best friends with two of our dogs. We are working on the third. She's not yet convinced.) At any rate, we recently took in a stray cat as we couldn't bear to leave him on the side of the road in the terrible New England weather. (Check out his page for the full story) We've been to our vet twice- once for an initial check up and another time to treat Johnny No Home's case of tapeworm. We will be headed back to the vet in a few weeks to have him neutered and to have his injury checked out again. I know a good deal about dogs as I have done a lot of research on them. That being said, I am now starting to learn about cats also. Could the catster community please help me with a few things? 1. Johnny No Home's injury runs the length of his tail. It is covered with open wounds in places- that he continues to lick incessently. I have tried an e-collar but he is not having it. He is currently on antibiotics and is taking them well...any suggestions on how to get him to stop licking his wounds? He is keeping them open and therefore they aren't healing. 2. Johnny No Home is shedding like crazy and has really dry skin that is flaking off like dandruff. Is it safe to give him fish oil? I am assuming so, but I'm not going to give it to him until I am positive. Or flaxseed oil? Thank you so much in advance for your help. We've taken this sweet guy in off the streets and we are committed to giving him the healthiest, fullest, best life possible. It would be wonderful if you could help us to help him get there! Hope I haven't rambled too much. Thanks! Nicole and Johnny No Home ;)

Comments

• Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 17 December, 2008
    Hi Johnny No Name and Nicole! Welcome to Catster. We read your story and you are a very fortunate kitty to find such a loving family. We\'re sorry you need to stay in quarantine for 6 months but it will give you time to adjust to your new home and family. Sorry I can\'t help you with the sores on the tail problem or how to get Johnny No Name to stop licking them. You might get good answers if you post your question in the Cat Health forum. Good luck!
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 17 December, 2008
    Yeah, or you could post in the Catster Answers thing. I guess it's just natural for cats to lick themselves, especially if that spot hurts. As for the shedding, if you can, you might want to give him a bath with cat shampoo only, and then since you have dogs and cats, you might want to get the Furminator, it does help with shedding and takes the topcoat off, maybe fish oil could help wtih the dandruff, Squeakers had it once and we gave her a bath and we asked the vet, but she didn't give us any specific instructions
  • joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    edited 17 December, 2008
    Hi Johnny and Nicole, I would definitley have the vet look at Johnny again. Is there any chance that The open sore and all the dandruff, loss of hair might be mange? It might even be something as simple as a food allergy. I hope he gets better soon.He's such a cutie. You are so lucky to have a little Tuxedo in your life. Meows, Charlita
  • Marianne KoivaMarianne Koiva MealtimeMember Posts: 2,051
    edited 17 December, 2008
    My human agrees. She was just reading something on another forum about dandruff and Johnny No Home could have a different problem due to infection. Can you try the e-collar again? He won't be happy about it but they really do help.
  • Cole LavinCole Lavin Member Posts: 119
    edited 19 December, 2008
    Thanks, everyone! We appreciate the advice. The vet gave Johnny No Home a good look-over so mange has been ruled out. That being said, he is going back in to the vet in about two weeks to be neutered- I'll mention it. I didn't even think of the Furminator- which is a great idea. We have one for our dogs and I swear by it. Can't believe I didn't think of that one! I'll also give the e-collar a go again. Thank you all for being so kind and helpful. Johnny has settled into his quarantine space (aka our guest room) and loves his time with his humans. It kills me that he cannot yet meet the gang- I can tell he desperately wants to. When the time comes. Happy holidays to you all! Nicole and Johnny
  • edited 20 December, 2008
    Even if the dandruff is related to a food allergy (the most common reason), giving Linatone will help. It's an oil that you put on their food, and I give it every winter to help with dry skin. Kudos to you for taking in Johnny!
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 21 December, 2008
    sometimes it just takes time-I was in bad condition when mommy got me, flaky nails, flaky skin, dry fur-a mess, and now I am in pretty good shape-it took a couple of months for mommy even to start to notice a change