Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I can\'t get my two cats to get along...

Natalie ShampayNatalie Shampay ConcordMember Posts: 79
edited 31 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
Riley and Mama just won't stop! They're constantly fighting. I thought it would blow over, Since Riley was a kitten and just HAD to annoy everyone. A year went by. The other cat's don't care what he does anymore- But Mama Does. If Riley even gets anywhere near her, She yells at him and runs. Riley will sometimes try to give Mama Kisses, (Heh, He's a little flirt...:))) And Mama will slap him. Poor Riley just wants to make friends, But Mama clearly doesn't. Any Ideas? :-k

Comments

• Natalie ShampayNatalie Shampay ConcordMember Posts: 79
    edited 26 December, 2008
    Anyone? D:
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 26 December, 2008
    Riley, I hate to say it but sometimes like with humans cats just don't get along and there is nothing you can do. Beleive me I know and I'm living it right now. Aslong as no one is getting hurt the is nothing you can or even should do. However if fur and fangs are flying you must find away to seperate them. Happy trails :-h
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 26 December, 2008
    Female kitties demand a lot of respect from other cats. Especially annoying younger males that don't take the hint. They'll work out an arrangement that they can live with eventually.
  • Anastasia OBrienAnastasia OBrien Member Posts: 15
    edited 26 December, 2008
    Yeah, unfortunately, you just have to let them work out their own relationship - it's just not something you can do anything about.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 29 December, 2008
    Are Riley and Mamma spayed/neutered? How old was Mama when you got Riley? How does Mama get along with the other cats? :):):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:):):):):)
  • Natalie ShampayNatalie Shampay ConcordMember Posts: 79
    edited 30 December, 2008
    Riley is Neutered, Mama is spayed. Mama is about 9, And Riley's 1 and a half.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 31 December, 2008
    My female Smokey, never liked and still does not like the kittens. She was never mean to them and is still not mean to them. If they get to close to her, she just swats them, like, get away from me, I can't be bothered with you. They still try to play with her on occassion, she will swat them and on ocassion, will hiss, but thats all she does. From the start, I made sure, thats all that was allowed, that was done with a sharp "whats going on!" and a water spray bottle handy. Ya have to use the same word or words, have to be consistant, so they know they are being bad, know that from training horses, and you have to do it from the very beginning. They have to know from the very beginning, what is acceptable behavior, and what is not, never ever hit them, never spray them in the face, never soak them, stop spraying when they stop, and never chase them down with the spray bottle. Sometimes females, are just not accepting of other cats, ya know how us ladies are, and can be, lol, as Desert said, as long as they are not fist fighting, they will each find their own territory/space. :):):):):D:D:D:D:):):):)