Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Love/Hate relationship with the dogs!

Debora BaileyDebora Bailey CalgaryMember Posts: 1,076
edited 30 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
OK, so Eeyore was raised by our two dogs, Barkley and Lucky. He developed doggy like characteristics and at times I though he would need therapy to get back in touch with his "kitty" self! Unforetunately Lucky passed away in April 2007, and in the fall we got an 8 week old pup (Saint Bernard) "Snoops". I swear they are in a love/hate relationship. When the Eeyore is resting, Snoops tries to sneak up on him (rather amusing to see a giant 150 pound dog trying to be sneaky!) and then tries to nudge him with his muzzle. Eeyore will hiss and growl, then smack the dogs muzzle around a bit, before taking off to get away. Next, Snoops is snoring away, and is spotted by Eeyore, who has "sneaky" down to a precise science. Eeyore will go right up to Snoops and then smack him across his muzzle, then run to higher ground and begin to groom himself. He can do this in slow motion, as there is a bit of time before Snoops can actually get up. When both dogs get into a wrestling match or play tug, Eeyore will sit on the side lines watching and meowing. If Snoopy's back end comes within reach, he will bit his back leg, or smack him across the paw. Then come the blessed peaceful moments, when all three boys are just laying sleeping within a few inches of each other. Am I right to assume that this is a "love/hate" relationship between Eeyore and the 16 month old pup or is this just plain old playing? BTW....Eeyore used to play for hours with "Lucky", they would chase each other around the house, or get into little wrestling matches.

Comments

• Yailen AbrahantesYailen Abrahantes TampaMember Posts: 6
    edited 30 December, 2008
    Lol Sounds like a perfectly normal playful relation ship to me. :) I have two cats. 5 year old Poochie who was NOT raised with dogs, and 7 month old Ruby who was. Now, with Poochie, when my 2 month old Husky comes around you can see him tense up and get mean. He'll hiss and claw at him like crazy until the dog goes away, or he finds a safe escape plan. Their relationship is strictly "stay out of my way" ...The dog knows that with this cat, he shouldn't push his cards or he'll end up hurt. No with my other kitten Ruby, its a whole different story. Ruby will be laying down and Rocky will come and bite her on the back of her neck and Ruby will meow as if shes in pain and run away, only to be chased by the dog...but its obvious that he doesn't intentionally try to hurt her. And then Rocky will be fast asleep and Ruby will come out of nowhere, get him in an arm lock and start grooming HIM until she deems him clean, then she'll bite his tail or ears until he gets annoyed and the chasing starts all over again. It may seem slightly hateful...but really its just their playful nature. Real hate relationship, I think, would be like the one between Poochie and Rocky where the cat will have absolutely nothing to do with him. Its almost scary how vicious the cat looks whenever he is brought near the dog. So I don't think you have anything to worry about =;