Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

odd question

Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
edited 31 December, 2008 in Behavior & Training
I didnt really know what fourm this fits into, but... sadly i have to move back with my mom and im taking my 4 cats in tow. My moms cats are meanie bo beanies and i doubt they will let mine roam around. Im getting a bedroom but we want to be able to give the cats more room to stretch there legs. there is a long hallway and a enternace way. the enterance way we can put a door. The hallway may be diffacult. i want to close it off but how? cats can leap over baby gates. its a little to wide for a door, and my mom wants to be able to have the light from the window at the end of the hallway to shine threw. i kinda was thinking two doors that fold (think like closet doors that meet in the middle) but thats a last resort. does anyone have any ideas? is there like a cat proof gate or something? :-/

Comments

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 19 December, 2008
    Don\'t give up on all the cats learning to live with each other. It just might happen if the introductions are done the right way. It will be tricky to introduce your four to your mom\'s \"meanie bo beanies\", but it can be done. Since you are introducing so many of your to so many of hers, you may want to call up an animal behaviorist who can observe your cats and see how the best way to do it would be. Cats need more than just a hallway to \"stretch their legs\". They need to explore, jump, climb, etc. as I\'m sure you know. I don\'t know of anyway you could leave the door open but still block it off unless you actually installed a full size outdoor \'screen door\" in the entrance to the room. But, there\'s always the problem of one set of cats tearing through the screen to get at the others. If it were me, I would call the behaviorist and ask for advice. It would make for a much happier household if they all got along and all had the run of the house, right?
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 19 December, 2008
    izzie, while your post was ment well, i dont think you understand the situation. its not just a hall way they are living in. its a section of the house we are blocking off. it equals out as the size of an small apartment. and this is only for a few months. My moms cats would completely go nuts. we had a foster cat in the house with them and all the cats did was full on brawl, and pee and poop all over the house. They harassed her so bad she lost her fur. they even went as far as to pee in the water dish. and this lasted for months untill we finally just had to seperate them. they had there own litter boxes, water, food, ect and "alone time" and hidey places. They are all fixed. I dont really know what else there is to do. And i really dont think my mom wants her cats peeing on everything in the house again. they destoyed tons of things and even ripped out all the screens. Any cat owner any less tolerante would have booted them out the door. They have all there claws and there was many brawls ending in blood. i think keeping them seperate is best. putting them with cats that territoral is a headache they dont need. My dad dosnt really like cats. Its his spare room im using, and if they pee or scratch up that room because there being terroized, i doubt my cats would be welcome there. Tiny dosnt back down to fights, and her sister, spooky, thinks she controls my moms house. I have no doubt those two would fight tooth and nail all day.
    edited 22 December, 2008
    Oh, OK. You're right. I didn't understand your post completely. I was imagining a hallway like mine, which is about 20 feet long and about 3 feet wide. I guess, from what you've written, that this would probably be the best for everyone concerned--to keep all the cats separated. When there is down and dirty fighting like that, it would probably take a miracle to get all the kitties to get along. I would like to wish you the best, though. I hope it all works out for you and your kitties.
  • Kara DickmanKara Dickman Middle of No WhereMember Posts: 2,283 ✭✭
    edited 22 December, 2008
    I would use a screen door. Make your own. Take a bunch of cheap 2 x 4 and nail together. Then staple screen material to it! (The black sceen material is best.)
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 22 December, 2008
    my suggestion would be a privacy screen supported by a baby gate on either side. This should be realatively inexpencive it should let light through, especially if you get the kind that has pictures in it and just not put picktures in. The baby gates would provide support & make sure that the cats cant get through. It is also 10 % temporary and would be good in the future should you ever require it again. If not you could just use the screen as a decoration afterwards, and even put some picktures in it. Just a thought.
  • Cathy ZCathy Z St LouisMember Posts: 2,511
    edited 22 December, 2008
    pfftt Don\'t do just a baby gate, mommy has one for the big dog for just one room she\'s not allowed to be in and as tiny as I am, I can jump it in a single bound! Nothin can stop me! Keeping your cats in a single room for a day or two so the cats who own the house can get use to the smells is a good idea. Then introduce em and I\'ll bet they\'ll all get along fine. Most cats do.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 23 December, 2008
    Just a thought also--your Mom's cats may have absolutely hated the fioster kitty, and take to yours right away; I've seen that happen often, where a person had one cat, and got another. They might absolutely love each other within a few days. Then something happens to one or the other cats, and after a reasonable period of time, a new cat comes in--and gets hated. you just never know, so maybe you will get lucky. Dont rush it, tiugh. Even if the catsw all start playing under the door, take your time if you decide to introduce them. Good luck--and I'm glad you at least have a private area to live in.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 31 December, 2008
    thanks izzie for understanding!%:D% and thanks for all the great suggestions. I have been letting tiny out for short periods of time. first few times the other cats were locked in the other room. then when i put tiny away i let the other cats sniff. a few days ago tiny met the 3 cats. the grey male ran and hid never to be seen all day. Minnie hissed and ran. but as i figured spooky and tiny had a showdown ( think old western movies lol) spooky got the high vatange on a chair and i figured tiny would back down. nope. she blazed (tail mightly poofed) onto the chair next to spookys. Spooky growled and moaned and hiss in her most nasty tone and gave 'the stare' Tiny said nothing but stared at her. soemtimes she gave her funny moan which is a high pitched waaaaHoooowww! and swished her tail. I watch with the squirt bottle in case they brawled but otherwise let them do there cat thing. Spooky made the mistake of looking uncertin and she knew it. spooky slunk down from her chair and tiny, being the brat she is, bopped her on the head as she slunk away. Spooky booked it and tiny, again tail blazing and poofed, tore after her. before i could seperate them she had chased her threw the x-mas tree, around the living room and under the bed. Tiny came trotting out of the bed, tail still poofed chirping and chatting. Tiny is top cat now. :)) neither of them got hurt, but i thought it was just funny to see mean old spooky get chased by little tiny. and spooky is way bigger. Maybe tiny is giving paybacks from when they were kittens and spooky picked on her. So, lucky for me Tiny is able to mingel with the cats. Angel and sassy are iffy, they are not as bold and i worry spooky and minnie will harass them. we shall see wish us luck!
    edited 31 December, 2008
    I am so glad that things are working out for your crew. Sometimes we don\'t give our animals enough credit! We all pretty much get along here except when the goggie, Jessie, gets in one of her chasing moods. The cats seem to know when that is (she must give off some sort of negative vibrations!) and they hide. Cats have a wonderful way of working things out for themselves. Hope all continues to go so well! ~a~