Deaf and a Rescue

Jennifer ChristensenJennifer Christensen HamptonMember Posts: 1
edited 1 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
I recently rescued a grey-eyed white cat that I am pretty sure is deaf. He doesn\'t react at all to sudden noises, i.e. clapping or the vacuum. I was wondering: How to train him? To stay off tables, counters, ect. and to come to me. (Obviously I can\'t call him to me.) Any advice? He seems to function perfectly well otherwise.

Comments

• Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 27 December, 2008
    Hi Loki, You might want to message Shamrock he's deaf too. http://www.catster.com/dogs/758329 Heere is also a "deaf" group http://www.catster.com/group/Deaf_cat_group-666 This group is invite only so you may have to PM one of the active members and ask them for an invite but I don't see there being a problem. I really can't give help I've never had a deaf kitty but I hope that this helps some.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 27 December, 2008
    I know they can be trained, we have a deaf cat on the show circuit. Found this for you, hope it helps. :):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:):):):):)=;=;=;=;=; http://www.deafcats.net/
  • b wilsonb wilson Member Posts: 16
    edited 29 December, 2008
    I would suggest joining the deaf cats group on Yahoo. They have all sorts of information on living with a deaf cat. I would also teach him some simple signs such as No, Get Down, and Come Here. The loud howling is his way of trying to find you. It should slow down or stop as he gets used to your household. You also want to make sure you don't startle him when he is sleeping. You can tap on surface next to when he is sleeping to wake him up without startling him. I ordered earthquake putty from amazon.com to keep knick-knacks from getting knocked off of shelves. My deaf cat loves to knock things overboard to get attention and broke a lot of things before I found out about the earthquake putty. The only other important thing is to make him an indoor only cat. Being deaf and white his life expectancy outdoors is very low.
  • Toby_AragornToby_Aragorn Garden GroveMember Posts: 43,438 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 January, 2009
    Many years ago I had a deaf cat. Since he was born to my female cat, it just took some careful attention to figure it out. Because he was becoming somewhat anti-social, I made sure that my husband (at the time) and I gave him lots of extra attention whenever we walked by where he was, making sure he was awake. We used a squirt bottle to let him know what was inappropriate, and gave him "looks." I also developed some "sign" language with him and he was extremely attentive. He could tell by the look on my face that I was unhappy with something he had done. I had him for 14 wonderful years and he was a great cat! I was at a cat show once, and the judge was very informative about what was going on, what she was looking for, etc. She mentioned that in cats, deafness was not a problem when it came to winning. However, there was a woman in the audience who, in stage whisper, said that she thought all deaf cats should be put down. Good thing my friend was with me as I almost came out of my seat to strangle her! I will say, if the situation every presented itself, I would take a deaf cat, just because so many people wouldn't.