why sterilized cats tend to grow faster fat than regular ones?

artemis balartemis bal Member Posts: 2
edited 1 January, 2009 in Cat Health
:-k As i am Themos\'s owner, I am really worried about his health, part of it is his weight. I wonder why:? although I feed him the right portions and(almost) standard hours he is groing fat!! I hate seeing those happy days my boy like that::o! unable to move and himself properly:(( What do U sugest?

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 31 December, 2008
    Being neutered really doesn't have anything to do with it. Prowler was small as a kitten, and is 4 yrs old, and still slim built. Bumpurr was a big built boy as a kitten, at 5 mos old, the judges would say, he could top out at 20 lbs. He is now 2 yrs old, and is 20 lbs, and a big built boy, and all my cats are spayed/neutered, done at 6 months. What are you feeding him? The amounts on the bags, are intended as a guide, a place to start. You have to adjust up or down, depending on the cat. Edited to add, for the most part, male orange cats, tend to be very laid back and just go with the flow. What does he weigh? Do you feel he is overweight? Is he just not as active as he used to be? Or does he act lethargic? Cats have different builds and metabolisms, just as people do. There are whole cats ( not neutered or spayed) on the show circuit, and some are small, some are big, depends on the breed requirment and their build. Sorry, was a little confused with your post. :):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):)
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 31 December, 2008
    Are those recent pictures/weight in his profile? He doesn't -look- too large in those photos and 8lbs is not at all big for an adult cat (maybe a female persian, but definitely not a moggie) Those guidelines on the bags of food really overestimate what a cat needs. For instance, if feeding a dry diet (assuming good quality), a cat needs 1/2 cup food a day. Just one half cup a food per day, that's it. And that's to -maintain- weight. Obviously to lose weight, you need to feed even less. And I would avoid "weight control" formulas of food as they tend to just have less protein and more grains, which is the opposite of what a cat needs to be healthy and lose weight. Since your cat is a short hair, it is easy to make a guess as to whether or not he is overweight. Look at him from above while he is standing. Below his ribcage, he body should look a bit concave (he should be thinner there than his ribcage is wide), or it should be about the same. It should -not- bulge out below his ribs. That's a fat cat. Also, a cat that cannot stretch around to clean himself properly is most likely too fat. Really all you need to do is feed a good quality food, but less of it, and maybe get your cat to run around after a laser pointer and play more often. It will probably take quite some time for your cat to lose weight, but any healthy weight loss always happens really slowly.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 1 January, 2009
    How do you know that he is fat? Has that come from a vet? Because only a vet can tell you if your cat is fat or not. Sometimes I lay in a ball and look really fat. Other times, I look skinny and sleek. I weight between 12-14 lbs, which is definitely bigger than your average shorthair, but our vets have for the most part said that said range is a healthy weight for me. If he can't move himself properly and he is sluggish, it might have something to do with a health condition, rather than being neutered. If you're really worried, I would just take him to a vet and have them give him a wellness check.