Raise your paw if you have a Vegatarian mommy

Dr- Rebecca KennedyDr- Rebecca Kennedy Member Posts: 2,026
edited 9 September, 2006 in Plus Fun
Hi Pals! It's Madi! ♥ I'm back teeeheee! Anyways, Mommie and I both wanted to know if any of you have Vegetarian or Vegan mommies. We'd be very glad to hear that! Oh, and if so join our group Vegetarian Paws Love, Madison

Comments

• -- ---- -- Member Posts: 4,760
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mommie was vegeterian for a long time.. But her parents and brother and everyone in the family are meat-eaters, so it was kinda hard for her to stay vegeterian! It's great your mommie is one, my mom has promised herself, the moment she's out of her parent's house, she'll star buying vegeterian food..
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, paws UP! Our mum has been a vegan for over 15 years!
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom can't stick to anything very long. Most of her family is vegatarian, and she has been off and on for many years. She went a month being vegan too. We live in an area now that isn't very veggie friendly, not very health friendly to be honest. A few years back the town where mom works was named the city with the most fast food places per square mile :shaking head: :rolling eyes: There's only 1 health food store within about a 20 mile radius. In about a year we're moving back to Seattle, where mom is from, and she's going back to a vegatarian diet.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It would be nice if your mommies could get back to a meatless diet, but it can be difficult! Thank goodness, restaurants and food stores offer more for vegans than they used to. Mum still makes a lot from scratch, but not near as much as she used to. She said she is happy being a vegan, and eats many raw foods but she draws the line at a total raw food diet ....for now anyway!
  • Dr- Rebecca KennedyDr- Rebecca Kennedy Member Posts: 2,026
    edited 27 February, 2006
    HURRAY! Mommy and I are very happy that you guys have Or had Vegetarian & Vegan mommys and daddy. My mommy stopped eating meat when she was 11. You can visit a website that mommy is apart of www.PETA.ORG. Everyone in her family are and were Meat eaters.But that didn't stop her.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    But what about vegetables? They have feelings too! As a side note: My mom really does believe this. Call her looney but she swears talking to her plants make them grow better... She even names them.... *rolls eyes*
  • Charity JonesCharity Jones Valencia, San Fernando Valley,Member Posts: 423
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Paws up for Veggie mommies! Our mom is a vegatarian! She\'s not vegan (yet). She hopes to slowly become completely vegan this year. She has quite a hard time giving up cheese.... Does anyones mom give them tofu treats? We LOVE tofurkey & morning star corn dogs! YUUMMMM....
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Jordan- Elisabeth- Jones, You're very right paws up for Vegetarian and Vegan mommys. Yea, mommy gives us Tofu treats and other things like that. She also buys me the Vegetarian kitty litter kinda wierd huh? But she does.
  • Janice KnightJanice Knight OttawaMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Me and my friend Missy's mommy is a vegetarian and has been since long before we were both born..imagine that. Our mommy loves all animals but especially kitty cats.
  • Kailie HicksKailie Hicks Saint JohnMember Posts: 116
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our Mommy is on her way to becoming a vegetarian. :) Chicken is the only meat she eats and if she ever gives that up I will CRY! She shares with me...hehehe. She will eventually try to give up chicken as well though, but it is very hard because Daddy will never give up meat.
  • Amy JonakAmy Jonak Saint FrancisMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    *Raises paw* Yays
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Madison, what exactly is vegetarian kitty litter?
  • jennifer viscontijennifer visconti queensMember Posts: 2,157
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Whee! this is great - my mom has been a vegetarian for about 15 yrs!!! her family still thinks she's nuts (she has to bring all of her own food at the holidays). i'm really glad my mommy loves animals and doesn't want to hurt them...emma(my big sis) and I are just glad that we don't have to be veggie too!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mum brings her own food everywhere, even on vacations!
  • lauren Masonlauren Mason Staten IslandMember Posts: 66
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes, my mommy's one of those vegetarian people. Personally, I just don't get it. I looooove my tuna!
  • Veronica MorrisVeronica Morris El Cerrito/SF Bay areaMember Posts: 14,677
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My parents are vegetarian, too! Too bad for me, that means I have to try to steal the dog treats instead of the human food!
  • Jennifer RobillardJennifer Robillard AtascaderoMember Posts: 39
    edited 27 February, 2006
    All of our paws are raised in our family. Me, Sara and Bogdan's Mom AND Dad are vegetarians. But we're with most of you... thank goodness we don't have to eat just veggies! Bogdan though does like his tomatoes. What a weirdo! Ohh... and I like just about anything foodlike. I think their fake sausage is just like real sausage... I mean, if I had ever tasted real sausage I imagine it tasting like their fake sausage. At least our great-grandpa brings us fresh fish sometimes!!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hehe, I gobble up the bits of fake cheese, bacon, chik, and sausage that daddy gives me! YUM
  • Julia MundyJulia Mundy NorfolkMember Posts: 218
    edited 31 July, 2006
    Our Mom has been vegetarian for almost 20 years now (hope that doesn't give away her age...something's she's pretty sensitive about these days!). She was vegan for 5 years, but working in a firehouse is a little tough...the guys know not to add any meat products to the vegetables, but sometimes they add butter. Just things like that. She went veg shortly after adopting our sister, Lillie. We like to taste-test her food, and so far, our favorite item is the Silk Soy Nog. Yum!!!
    edited 1 August, 2006
    We're glad to hear that Mara! Our favorite food so far, since it's Summer. I'll have to say dog and cat vegetarian dream pops! Yummy in my tummy! Love, Madison
  • Julia MundyJulia Mundy NorfolkMember Posts: 218
    edited 1 August, 2006
    What are vegetarian dream pops? And where do you get them? Mom's only seen the Frosty Paws, but they're only for dogs. *sigh* it's probably best that we don't know what they are, since Malaika wouldn't be able to eat them (she's on a special renal diet). But we'd still like to know what they are! Purrrrrrs!
  • SissyLukeCooterSissyLukeCooter St.Henri MontrealMember Posts: 2,195 ✭✭
    edited 23 August, 2006
    Paws up in our household! Mommy has been a vegetarian for 14 years and daddy for about the same too. Veggie and tofu hotdogs are quite yummy. Mommy's weakness is cheese so she hasn't gone vegan, but she tries. When we lived with grandpa he would give me meat and fish, but I never ate it, I only sniffed it. I think that made mommy happy to know I definately am not missing anything. Purrs to all the other kitties' who's mommies and daddies are vegetarian.
    edited 23 August, 2006
    Our mom is still 98% vegan...16 yrs now. She eats an occassional egg white.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 9 September, 2006
    My paw is up. Mommy has been a vegetarian for a long time! She is a vegetarian because she feels that is alot healthier for you.
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 September, 2006
    My Mum would really like to become a vegetarian, and also Grandma too, do any of you have any advice for her? Oh apart from stop eating meat he he he.

Bruce The Boss

• Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 9 September, 2006
    Our mom has been a vegetarion for almost 20 years now. She sez the hardest is when she goes to sales meetings, and she has to take some of her own foods unless she can go for a week on almost nothing but lettuce! It also gets a little tough that she is the only vegetarian in her "crowd". Dad is not. Her best friend (our Auntie G) is a flexetarian. Everyone else - friends and family - are meat eaters.
  • jennifer viscontijennifer visconti queensMember Posts: 2,157
    edited 9 September, 2006
    I didn't know my pal Rocky Ann's Mom was a vegetarian too!!!! Yay! Bruce, my Mom would love to pass on recipes, etc. to your Mom to help her start becoming a vegetarian- it's super easy! My Dad is not a vegetarian, but when he married Mom he discovered how much he liked all the meals she makes! He almost never misses meat, if he does he just BBQ's for himself ;-) The Clueless Vegetarian is a great starter cookbook - simple, easy recipes with few ingredients. The Moosewood series of cookbooks are also really great! PETA also has free "starter kits" with information on those wanting to become vegetarian! Morningstar farms also has ground veggie "meat" that you can substitute in all of your mothers traditional meat dishes. Pmail me anytime ;-)
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 9 September, 2006
    My Mommy was a vegan for almost three years. She\'s still in college and spends a lot of time with her parents too. They always made fun of her and were really rude about being vegan so Mommy had to stop about a year ago. It was seriously tearing her family apart. Grandpaw got offended every single time Mommy wouldn\'t eat what he cooked. Grandmaw thought Mommy was eating no meat just to be mean to Grandpaw (they don\'t get along very well). No matter how many times Mommy told them that she wasn\'t eating animals because she loves animals and didn\'t want to support the killing of animals, they wouldn\'t listen. She still doesn\'t eat too much meat though. Milk was the hardest thing for her to give up when she went vegan. Good thing they make delicious almond milk and soy milk! Mommy will return to being vegan when she gets out of college and gets a decent job (vegan foods are really expensive here). She just can\'t afford it now. Most of what she eats is leftovers that she takes back to college with her (she goes home every weekend and her parents send all their leftovers back with her to feed her for the next week, MOL) She agrees that a vegetarian/vegan diet is much healthier. She has gained a lot of weight since she returned to eating meat (she probably wouldn\'t want me saying that, but oh well). She had lost a lot when she went vegan. Mommy wants to move to FL after she gets out of college; then it will be easy for her to be vegan because there are tons of health food stores in Tampa, where she wants to live. Plus, some of her relatives there are vegans too. They are very supportive of her. Purrs, Lucky Boo
  • Laura KelloggLaura Kellogg Long IslandMember Posts: 476
    edited 9 September, 2006
    Oooh! *raises paw* Mom sorta is....but she\'s gotta eat some meat for protien....but she\'s totally against it. Can I join anyways?
  • Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 9 September, 2006
    Hey Lucky Boo, we know what you mean. Mom sez that was the weirdest thing, that she totally didn't expect when she became a vegetarian, is that some people would actually become offended that she wouldn't eat meat, even if they didn't cook the meal. She sez to this day she doesn't understand it. She never tries to get people to change, and doesn't comment when they eat meat in front of her...but she gets all kinds of grief and ribbing about it. Not as much as she used to, but she sez sometimes you'd think she just told someone she decided to cut off her right hand. Mom travels a lot for her work, and she sez she tends to get less reaction to it in FL now, than in some other parts of the country. I dunno...I don't really understand humans.