Uh oh. found a little blood splatter on the comforter

Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
edited 9 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
So, Phil and Squeeky have been living pretty harmoniously for the past 5 months. Squeeky is my boyfriends part feral small extremely alpha female, and of course phil is my doughboy passive mancat. They sleep together sometimes and Phil groom squeaky, bu they also play hard and sometimes it gets rough and Squeaky pummels Phil. Well, this morning my BF alerted me to having found a small splatter of blood on the comforter!! I know while we were out on holiday, squeaky took a tiny chunk of Phil nose that's all healed up now, but we didn't have the comforter them. Neither of them are limping, acting hurt or wierd, or anymore cautious of each other as normal. They really don't get in bad fights often cause Phil quickly bows out if things get heated. I would like to not think they should be seperated, because they really do like each other company most of the time. this seems like a freak accident, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? have you experienced normally friendly pet that just lash out? I worry Squeaky thinks shes going to loose her throne as queen of the house. does she need to be assured that Phil is no threat to her crown?

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 8 January, 2009
    I would check them both over, very carefully, to see if there may be an injury, that is so small, you didn't notice it. Actually, my first thought was UTI. Maybe one of them has a little blood in their urine. Either one excessively licking their penis, going in the cat box more frequently, spending too much time in the cat box, not using the cat box, throwing up, crying in the cat box? Is it at all possible, the blood could be from you or your bf, maybe you got a cut, and didn't realize it is bleeding? This was all I could think of, hope it helps, maybe the others have better ideas, let us know what you find out. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 9 January, 2009
    As usual, Bumpurr, you give good advice. I\'d like to suggest that Phil\'s mom check their gums since gums do bleed. Usually, any injury to the head or face will bleed more than the rest of the body for some reason. (That is also true of humans). Unless it was a copious amount, I wouldn\'t worry even if you do find the injury on one of them. If it starts to happen more frequently, then let us know and we\'ll ponder on a solution.
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    edited 9 January, 2009
    thanks guys! it was such a wierd splatter effect, the gumps thing is a good idea. Phil had impecable teeth when I took him to the vet, and I'm not sure when squeaky last went but theyre both going for annuals in feb, but I'll check squeaky out. i've never seen her teeth, I've just felt them Also a UTI never crossed my mind! Squeaky is a lady cat, does that often happen to them? I shoud check Phil though. he does eat fishy food...which i heard can cause male cats urinary problems, but ive never heard anyone say anything int he potty. he's such a quiet sweety though he could be hiding it. I'll take a look tonight.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 January, 2009
    Does the splatter have any odor? I once had an infected anal gland that was discovered when it started oozing bloody, stinky pus. :r
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 9 January, 2009
    I had too many show people, and my vet, tell me, no fish food, no fish flavored food, and no tuna fish. Mine get no fish anything. Some will tell you its OK, but after 2 bouts with crystals with Prowler, I am not taking the chance. And since I switched his food, and forced water intake, he has been, thank G, crystal free. Not going to tell you not to, mol, just letting you know what I went thru. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I gave you some sites on UTI, just in case, hope its not that. Smokey, my female had a UTI when she was a kitten, they put her on antibiodics, and she has been fine since, so don't know alot about the females, but the males are prone to it. Prowler had it twice, Bumpurr has never had it, go figure. http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2142 Hope this helps. :D:D:D:D:D:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h=;=;=;=;=;=;