can I use a dog chew toy?

Brandee NicholdonBrandee Nicholdon IthacaMember Posts: 16
edited 10 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
I really like to chew on things, things mom says I should not. I chew on a screw that sticks out of the stairs & the edges of books or binders. Mom wants to know if it might be good to get me a dog chew toy like a kong for puppies or something. I don't chew on my catnip toys, just roll on them.

Comments

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 9 January, 2009
    You can try but I never liked the dog toys. Mum tried rawhide too but I just prefer to chew fun things like books and toilet rolls :))
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 10 January, 2009
    Hello neighbor, mol, I am in the Syracuse area. :-h I would not give a cat, a dog anything. :D Here is a site on why people should not give their cats, dog food. :D http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2243+2244&aid=1165 And I have heard people should not give their dogs the rawhide chews, as the dogs tear off chunks and swallow them and get sick, something like that. Don't know if a cat could do that. :D In the pet section, they have hard and soft kitty toys, maybe get her some of those, or a toy with cat nip in it, they love to chew on those, mol, makes them crazy boys and girls, mol. I only give them to my cats supervised. Hope this helps and best of luck with finding her a chew toy. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:D:D:D:D:D
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 10 January, 2009
    You know... I used to give Khina pig's ear pieces and beef tendon chews because she was such a destructive chewer and it did seem to help. She would lay down and gnaw on them like a dog. I suppose it is a potential choking hazard, but I never had any issues with it. She would eat the whole thing.
  • JL GrummerJL Grummer Member Posts: 24
    edited 10 January, 2009
    you can use lamb lung chews...whiskers in NYC, NY has them...OR there are cat chews by one brand on the market...I can sometimes find them at petco or petsmart...It depends on the store...NEVER give cats rawhide chews...They do get sick from them. I do train cats. Most of the time chewing means the cat is bored if the cat is out of the kitten stage and isn't teething. It can also mean....Owner doesn't keep things that kitties shouldn't chew on out of the cats reach. If you don't want kittie to chew on something...PICK IT UP AND KEEP IT OUT OF KITTIES REACH. My bri bri imp from the time she was a kitten had a bitting problem...Cat chews solved it in a few years. She bit...I put a cat chew in her mouth. Simple. She chews you make a loud 'AINT' noise...Go over take whatever she is chewing away from kitty. Kitty will stop. Most of the time, if the behaivor isn't medical...It is the owners fault for not training their cat properly. This advice is coming from someone who can take a nasty feral cat and train it to be a nice cuddly creature, well adjusted with indoor manners....