When Guests Come...Tabifa Vanishes!

Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
edited 10 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Dear Catsters, Can anyone give Meowm tips on how to help me better adjust to new people coming over to the house? I keep disappearing the second I see a stranger's face, and will remain hidden until they leave. I know, I know, this is typical cat behavior, but meowm and Pawps want to know how to make me feel more comfy around people, if at all possible. They've wanted to show their friends their new addition (ME), but they can't even find me when guests show up!

Comments

• Diane ChewDiane Chew Member Posts: 1,094
    edited 8 January, 2009
    Me, too, Tabitha! Except I disappear even if I hear a car coming up the driveway that isn't my moms! One time, her sister stayed with her for about a week...I hid the whole entire time! Mom says for me, it's because I've been over protected and sheltered, plus she didn't have a lot of guests over for me to get used to people. When I was a kitten in my other home until I was about 7 or 8 years old, I never saw anybody new, so never got socialized to new people. I wonder if that makes me "neurotic" or something?
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 8 January, 2009
    I think a lot of us are shy around strangers. I tend to disappear when people first come in to the house too. Once they sit down and are quiet, and don't come looking for me, I will gradually venture out to see them. And if they are there for quite a while, I generally get up the nerve to go see who they are. But if they try to find me, I am good at hiding! My brofur is much braver and usually just meets people when they come in, and my little sisfur is sort of in between us in terms of meeting people.
  • Sarah_PinkSarah_Pink Chapel HillMember Posts: 153 ✭✭
    edited 8 January, 2009
    Hmm. The best thing I can suggest is have people around more often maybe. Bastet will be friendly with everyone, but Osiris usually hides in the bedroom after a while. That's pretty much the only thing that works for me though. Good luck!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 8 January, 2009
    Believe it or not, mol, my show cats, who do very well on the circuit, run and hide when people come over, and actually, I am glad they do it. When I lived in Texas, I came home one day, and found my cat walking down the sidewalk, she was an inside cat. I figured, the maintance man let her out, to get back at me, because I wouldn't go out with him. She also hid when people came over. I scooped her up, and unlocked the door. I had been burglerized! They took everything, and I mean everything, they had broken a window, which is how my cat prob got out. I am so very thankful she hid, as who know what they would have done to her, or with her. My stuff is replaceable, she is not. I am glad my cats hide. If someone should come in, that is not supposed to be in here, they aren't going to do something to them, steal them, or let them out. Just another point of view. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 8 January, 2009
    Isabelle is the same way. Only she is _gone_ at the sound of the doorbell or a knock on the door. We just don\'t have that many visitors and, well, she likes her mommy and daddy only. :)) We\'ve come to accept it. Some of the true \"animal people\" who visit sometimes can sneak into the bedroom and slowly approach her, but only if I\'m with them.
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 8 January, 2009
    I think some kittycats are just like that. I am too, and sometimes it irritates Mistress. In the year and a half she's had me, her mother has seen me maybe for about an hour, so has her friend Jen, and her grandma and Aunt have seen me for ten seconds! If I hear someone knock, poof! I disappear without the magician!
  • Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
    edited 9 January, 2009
    Hi Catsters, thanks for the reassuring replies! Its nice to know that I'm not the only shy furbie out there, as my brofur Milo (also a former feral) is the foster kitty ambassador AND sits there like Buddha when guests come over-- completely indifferent! By the way, does shyness have anything to do w/being feral? I was a feral kitten before Meowm rescued me... Gramma and Grampa were staying with us for several weeks, and I got used to them in about a week. I even walk across their laps (but don't sit in theirs). hehe
  • Diane ChewDiane Chew Member Posts: 1,094
    edited 9 January, 2009
    MOL! I don't feel alone anymore with my shy scaredy cat! Last Friday night a friend came over to pick me so we could go to a comedy club. Whisper was by my feet playing with the laser light and didn't hear the car come up the driveway. He did hear her footsteps up to the door, though, and took off light lightning. She came in and said, "Wow, I saw a blur go by, but I couldn't tell what color it was!"
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 9 January, 2009
    I don't really think being a fereal has anything to do with it. Bumpurr is a breed cat, Prowler and Smokey are both rescues, actually someone threw they away. Smokey got dropped off at my barn, and somebody threw Prowler out, when he was just a little baby. They are all very outgoing at the shows, do very well on the circuit, but hide when people come over, go figure. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 9 January, 2009
    It's Stella. We're all like that too--anyone who knocks on the door we're under the sofa. Even people who do not have to knock, if there is anyone else there we will hide. We had somebody visiting over the holidays and eventually we all came out and looked at her, but that was it. [Of course she was not really a cat person and was not interested in us, either.] There is someone who comes around all the time to help our person clean and I particularly love him, but I seem to love guys more and also he has 8 pets of his own so he probably smells very interesting. I go berserk and rub all over him, which is just as embarrassing as hiding behind the sofa in its own way! I guess you just have to have more visitors, and it helps to have them when you are little kittens when you are more flexible. We also took our cue from Delyte who hates everyone except our person. He has been to the vet and kennel a lot and links outside people with bad experiences.
  • JL GrummerJL Grummer Member Posts: 24
    edited 10 January, 2009
    Let us get back to Tabifa and the training she NEEDS. She is not fully socialized with humans. That is her OWNERS lack of training. My personal cats know when people come over..>They get treats...They are trained to do certain behaivors for those treats only when guests come over. So the cats line up side by side in order to do tricks for treats. One by one. But to start off with...When you know people are coming over, close off rooms you know the cat isn't in. Give the cat less places to run to in order to hide. Then start out giving the cat treats when a person she knows and likes is in the room, so the cat has no anexiety. This technique does work. Keep adding people and tricks to Tabifa's arsonal. Soon she will associate new people with showing off and tasty snacks instead of running and hiding.