growling while grooming kitten

Kathryn GrahamKathryn Graham Norfolk,Member Posts: 123
edited 10 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
I hope someone here can explain to my mommy why I am growling. We got a new kitten in October, at first I didn\'t pay much attention to her. But for the past several weeks, when she rubs up against me I will wash her, or if I am resting and she comes and plops down beside me, I\'ll give her a bath. But, the entire time I am washing her I make a weird noise in my throat that sounds like I am growling. Its definitly not a purr noise. Why am I doing this? If I like the baby why I am growling and if I don\'t like the baby why I am washing her? Redi ps we play sometimes and I don\'t make the noise then:-k

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 4 January, 2009
    Redgate, one thing mom noticed about me is that after we got Gracie to come live with us, my purr changed. It's no longer a kitteny purr, but more of a soft froggy noise that mom did initially mistake for a growl. It's like I didn't really know I was a big cat until she came home, and I thought to myself: "wow, I am much bigger. I must be a tom cat now!" :)) I'd say not to worry about it, so long as they act lovey dovey... and even if they don't always. When momma catches me grooming Grace, I sometimes get embarassed, and hurriedly move off her and she swears I huff for good measure. :))!
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 6 January, 2009
    im not exactly sure why, but mother cats do this when they groom there babies. Your cat is 'mothering' the kitten. she isnt mad at the kitten. It may be the cats way of saying "hold still" i noticed mother cats growl when they are trying to clean fussy babies and sometimes when the babies squeal to much. i beleve its just a form of communication. nothing to worry about.
  • JL GrummerJL Grummer Member Posts: 24
    edited 10 January, 2009
    If there is no blood while the cat is doing the grooming. I wouldn't worry about it. The tongue is connection to the back of the throat is pretty small in a house cat...Not that flexible either. Not that much air can get thru the chamber without a decent amount of kitty air pressure. So the cat is sticking out her tongue, grooming a smaller cat, and you wonder why she can't purr at the same time. Instead the cat growls, which basically requires very little air pressure or effort for the cat. I would consider yourself in good standing, don't worry about it. Your cats do get along even with bringing a new younger cat into the house.