I still want to go out

Lynda Van EttenLynda Van Etten Menands, NYMember Posts: 707
edited 10 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Hi there, I'm a former semi-feral cat who was recently taken in (I chose her (my foster mom) and she fed and cared for me) and am now in my furever home. I still want to go outside but cannot because we live in an apartment complex near a dangerous highway and main road. Is there anything my new mom can do to help me overcome this?

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 19 December, 2008
    Lots of playtime, a nice perch by a window where you can watch the birds and squirrels, a cat tree/condo for climbing and scratching, hunting games where your people hide treats in the apartment for you to find, new things to smell like boxes and bags from the grocery store, rotate the toys available so that nothing ever seems "old". If you have lots to do inside you won't be so worried about what's going on outside. It'll be okay. I know it seems like you're being held prisoner, but you'll have a much better life inside, so you be good! ;)
  • Lynda Van EttenLynda Van Etten Menands, NYMember Posts: 707
    edited 19 December, 2008
    Hi there, well see that's part of the problem. Mom tries to initiate play with me using mice and the fishing pole with feathers, but I'm not interested. I'd rather just look out the window (and even then not for that long). I have an eye infection mom can't do anything about and possibly an upper respiratory infection, so I'm not interested in playing.
    edited 20 December, 2008
    Well, sweetie, if you're sick you probably just feel like lying low and taking things easy. Maybe that's all you want to do right now is just lie around. That's fine. Did you go to the vet and get meds so that you'll start feeling better?
    edited 24 December, 2008
    Hi Khina Yes I finally got to the vet last night. With all the bad weather lately mom had to wait about going....they also found out I'm FIV positive so now I can't go out even if I did live in a safe area. The vet gave me eye drops for my watering eye. She found no signs of upper respiratory infection or heart trouble (thank God). No ear mites or fleas either. Might have worms so I have worming meds for that. I'm getting more content with just looking out the window now, and enjoying being fussed over!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 27 December, 2008
    Solomon, we are sending purrs your way. We know that once you are feeling better and know how much you are loved (by all of us, actually) you will want to stick around to see what\'s next! |/h/||:|
    edited 3 January, 2009
    well mom said the vet estimates my age at between 5 and 10 years old. Mom thinks I may be more around 8 years old or so, since I don't really want to play (except once in a while). I do love catnip! I still sleep a lot but I get along with everyone just fine. I mingle with the ofur kitties, even tho my sisfur gets nervous around me and my brofur wants to pick on me (he's only about a year old or so). I also purr a lot - mom calls me The Purrmaster because I just purr and purr. I give headbonks to her and sleep with her (sometimes) - and even now I'm giving her orders even tho I'm laying at her feet. (Well I was anyway!) Mom has said if I'm docile, so be it. At least I'm happy, fed and loved...and I love mom!
    edited 4 January, 2009
    Awwww! Well, you've probably had a pretty rough life up until now and you deserve to take it easy. Maybe someday you'll feel energetic again, but I don't think anyone would fault a former feral for wanting to take a break!
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 4 January, 2009
    i hope your mom realizes what she is taking on with an FIV+ cat. they are wonderful and still can have an excellent quality of life for a long time. however especially since you are older solomon, the key is very stringent supportive care. mom has to be up to steroids and antibiotics as needed. you have a crappy immune system, so it will hit you twice as hard as others. URIs are like common colds, however for you it could be fatal. mom should also be vigilant about your teeth. if she can have her just look in your mouth to make sure you are ok. lastly, it is of the utmost importance that you and your siblings can coexist peacefully. FIV is only transmitted by deep bite wounds. so, no cat fights = no worries. maybe if your mom hasn't already, maybe come up with a game plan with the vet for maintainence. G'D bless and best of luck. |:|
    edited 5 January, 2009
    Mom said she definitely knows what she's in for, since I'm an FIV+ boy. She's a Christian and purrays for me and her other kitties. She wants to try me on a product called Moducare, which is supposed to help boost my immune system. Mom's vet recommended it, so she will be buying that and then find out how much I'll need. I fight being given eye drops, and mom doesn't know yet how I'll be when it comes to taking pills or capsules...but she is somewhat hopeful about the Moducare. Of course there is no "cure" for FIV :( but if there are supplements or things I can take to help me fight off any infections I may get, that should help a lot! Just curious, will the vet give me prescriptions for antibiotics even if I don't have an infection? Mom said to tell everyone, "I know that's a crazy thought, but since I'm still learning about this I'd appreciate any info. If anyone has first-hand info and experience on supplements for FIV+ cats I'd love to hear about it." Mom is also feeding me more now, she said that if I get overweight it's OK because if I get an infection I'll lose weight quickly. So now I get spoiled and fed at least 2 1/2 cans of Friskies or 9 lives a day. I love that, MOL! It just makes me more of a Purrmaster.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 5 January, 2009
    when spike had FIP, i became the med master:)). i wrapped him in towel like a burrito. after that eyedrops and pills are pretty easy. if you need pills, try pill pockets. it's a heckuva lot easier than the burrito method. i use the burrito method foe medication along with grooming.you can also ask for liquid instead of pill. lysine and other antioxidents are reputed to help. there are plenty of FIV support groups on catster, maybe check them out:?
    edited 5 January, 2009
    Mom only found 2 groups for FIV cats....if anyone knows of others could you send us info or an invite? Mom and I would love it, and would love to make FIV friends.
  • JL GrummerJL Grummer Member Posts: 24
    edited 10 January, 2009
    My cats are trained to walk in cat harnesses..That can be a solution to going outside and not running all over the place. They do also have pet carriages on the market. Formually, feral cats always remember their freedom days running around free. Most of them want to be inside nice and warm. So, figuring out how to take the cat outside once in a while can be a nice treat for the animal. Just so you know...My cats are both leash trained and backpack trained. I never have to use a cat carrier to transport the cats anywhere.