Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

So, I\\\'m trying to decide on a cat condo ...

Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
edited 20 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
And OMG, I am driving myself crazy!!! :)) How do you ever find the *perfect* one? I either get the right size, but the posts are sisal (Isabelle won\'t touch sisal), or the posts are right but its too tall or the beds are too small, or its ugly. ARRGGGHH!! I\'m almost wondering if I should build my own. But then that would mean power tools in January .... I see quite a bit of swearing in my future! :)) Has anyone else built their own? Worth the effort?

Comments

• Cecilia CretaroloCecilia Cretarolo PortlandMember Posts: 267
    edited 16 January, 2009
    Before you build your own, look through the pets section on craigslist and see if anyone is advertising custom built cat trees. My boyfriend and I had given up on trying to find an affordable cat tree until we came across a CL posting. Now we're going to be getting a 6' tree with several platforms and a condo with sisal posts (extra charge for those actually) for $110. It's made of solid wood rather than particle board and brand new carpet (lots of people will go to carpet removal companies and will take used, stained carpet off their hands to put on cat furniture).
  • Rachel JacksonRachel Jackson OcalaMember Posts: 5
    edited 19 January, 2009
    I had the same problem with my cat PRADA...she loves climbing but hates catnip and alot of the trees I found had catnip on the scratching posts..so those would not work. I went ahead and built PRADA a custom cat tree that I designed, I got all the carpet at carpet stores that had leftover carpet which covered the whole tree and I have to say it was alot of work but in the end it turned out wonderful. It has everything she likes and fits perfectly where we put it. So i guess it really up to how much effort you want to put into it, either looking for one or building one...lol
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 20 January, 2009
    Yeah, I have a feeling I might have to build one. Did you have blueprints/plans, or just make it up? I have a retired neighbor who gets downright giddy whenever my husband has home projects (he has every tool known to man in his garage, lol), so maybe I\'ll mention this to him and see if he\'d be willing to help one weekend. =;
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 20 January, 2009
    I\'d surf the Internet and look for plans because you want to make sure it\'s safe for Isabelle. A lot of times rescue sites have links to people who custom build them--I know ours did at one time, and if you contact them, they might be able to put you on to the man who built them. (www.pawsohio.org) who could advise you. One of my friends started building a cat tree for her cats and wound up going \"crazy\" and devoting her entire back bedroom to a large cat \"spa\" area--a waterfall pond, catwalks along the wall/ceiling, hanging cat toys, barrels, etc. She even took out the bedroom window and put in a floor to ceiling one so the cats had wide-screen cat t.v.!
  • Rachel JacksonRachel Jackson OcalaMember Posts: 5
    edited 20 January, 2009
    I had designed it myself and had someone go over it for saftey purposes for the cat. It took us roughly 2 weeks to build it, not sure if it will take you that long but PRADA's tree is 9ft tall and goes along the entire wall, so it was alot of wood. LOL have fun in your choice...LOL