Litter box bad habits

Teighlor DanielsTeighlor Daniels HumphreyMember Posts: 24
edited 21 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
My dear 8 year old feline Twister has always had a habit of pooping outside of the litter box when it was full or if he'd went even once that day...well now he does so occasionally still but not because the litter box has been used. Is there anyway to fix this behavior?

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 20 January, 2009
    Some kitties just refuse to step in dirty litter (and really who can blame them?) and if there is a lingering smell of pee or poo or bits of dirty litter they'd just rather not go in. I would suggest getting at least two brand new BIG (the biggest your space will allow) litter boxes and fill with 4-6 inches of litter. He may not want to go in a box if has any waste in it at all, so have at least one other box available for him to use if you haven't scooped his last trip in yet. Scoop the boxes as frequently as possible and add litter as necessary to maintain the level of litter and to offer a clean top layer. My cats aren't what I would call picky about their boxes, BUT I have six boxes available for my two cats and two ferrets. They will always go and pick a clean box to do their business in if there is a poop in the box they first go to. There is never ever more than one poop in a box. Because I have six boxes and my animals are raw fed I can get away with scooping just once a day (The cats don't always poop every day because of the raw diet.). But you may need to scoop twice or more per day. If he's been doing this for a long time I would suggest being ultra-ultra diligent about scooping his litter as quickly after he's used it as possible to make the box super attractive and inviting to him. Good luck!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 20 January, 2009
    I'm so lucky that my cats are not finicky about their boxes even though I do scoop every day. That's good advice about a bigger box--that's what I had to do with my first cat, Shizzie. He never realized that his "business end" was hanging over the edge of the box. Once I got a larger, deeper box, I never had that problem again.
  • Teighlor DanielsTeighlor Daniels HumphreyMember Posts: 24
    edited 20 January, 2009
    thanks so much ^_^I'll try to do as you suggest, especially since Twist is coming to live with me and my other cat Cricket. He is declawed though (not by my choice) and I worry about him an cricket getting into it, cause Twister HATES meeting other cats (he holds grudges against me too for it for looong periods of time...he like bit me twice when I brought the puppies home) I've had only one other cat around him, and it took months for them to get on, and then there were two kittnes for a short time, but Twister is a very stressy cat and I was wondering, do you think I should move him in first then bring the other once he is adjusted, or vice versa?
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 21 January, 2009
    My opinion would be to move both cats in at once. Not only will neither of them have an opportunity to claim territory, but they may actually bond because they're both in a new situation. Have two safe places with familiar bedding, toys, bowls, etc. for each of them and if they seem to be getting too stressed put them in their respective safe room. I would even try swapping cats into the other's safe room every once in a while to get all their smells mingled. I think moving two cats that don't know each other into a new house would be the best situation for all the parties involved. As long as you stay the calm center of their new world I think everything will turn out just peachy after a few days.