3AM every morning,HELP

Britney HollyBritney Holly Member Posts: 1
edited 23 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
... Just about every morning around that time, my cat decides to get up. the bad thing about it is that he WILL NOT STOP meowing until around 7. I dont know what it is. I get up, give him attention, try to get him to come lay with me,sometimes feed him to see if thats what it is, and I am even up playing with him at times. Is there anything I could do to maybe make him stop? or is it just the age? Hes about 8-9 months Am I possibly doing all the wrong things? I feel like I am because I\'m giving in but I just cant take it. :(( Has anyone else been through this?

Comments

• Toby_AragornToby_Aragorn Garden GroveMember Posts: 43,438 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 January, 2009
    Part of the problem is that cats are nocturnal and it takes a while for them to adjust to "our" hours. I don't know if it's possible, but he is probably lonely and possibly getting him a playmate would help. Also, you can try playing with him before bed time, vigorously, and this might help. And feeding him just before going to bed might also help.
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 23 January, 2009
    He is still a pretty young kitten. He will eventually grow out of it. Unfortunately not for a while. My two cats used to chase eachother around when they were young kitties. And at all different hours. They did eventually grow out of it and now sleep with me every night. So many people have asked me this same question and all I say is they grow out of it....be patient :?
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 23 January, 2009
    I think everyone with kittens and young cats has been through this. They do mostly grow out of it, but not if you continue to give in to their demands! I get up, give him attention, try to get him to come lay with me,sometimes feed him to see if thats what it is, and I am even up playing with him at times. You need to stop doing this. It will be rough for a while, but you are teaching him that he will get what he wants by being loud and obnoxious. Get earplugs if you have to. Put away the breakables and buckle in for a rough couple of weeks. Set mealtimes so that he knows when to expect food and that he can't demand it from you. Portion out his food for the day into two or three meals, pick your meal times, set down his food and pick up leftovers and put them away once he walks away or after a half hour if he's apt to return to his food after checking it out. It helps to have a meal or snack for right before you go to bed. Or, what I think is even better, hide food around the house to keep him busy "hunting" for his food. Playtime before bed is very important. Wear the little guy out! Make him run his furry little pants off. I can't stress enough how important it is not to get up when the meowing starts. You will be setting yourself up for a kitty lifetime of sleeplessness and a pushy, demanding cat if you allow this to continue. Good luck!
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 23 January, 2009
    I have always been a talker, and when I was young, my Mommie had the same problem with me. She tried all of the ideas of playing with me before she went to bed, making sure I had food and water available, etc. and I still was noisy most of the night. She gradually got more used to my meowing and was able to sleep some. Now that I am older, I am quieter at night. I still sometimes make some noise, but not as much as when I was younger. Sometimes it just takes a lot of time and patience?
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 23 January, 2009
    Feeding him and playing with him before bed so he will be tired. This made me laugh, I go to sleep at 3 am (I sleep during the day)
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 23 January, 2009
    I agree with the others, he just needs to be on a set schedule, and it takes time and patience to teach him that. :D When Bumpurr was a kitten, he did the same thing, I think we have all been thru it, mol, and he knows his morn feeding, is 6am during the week, and won't let me sleep much past that on weekends. He starts by batting my face, that is usually good until 7am, then he pulls my hair, with his teeth, that always works, mol, no sleeping in on the weekends. Cool name, Rock Star. :D My App mare was by Rock Star, altho he was never shown, he was one of the leading sires in the nation. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D