Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Kitty drinking habits

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
edited 2 February, 2009 in Behavior & Training
No, I don\'t mean that Fluffy has taken to the Demon Rum. What I\'m referring to is how your cat drinks water. I have three adult Maine Coons and seven Maine Coon kittens (soon to go to good homes, I hope!), and everyone splashes water around as if there were no tomorrow. Some put their paws in the dish when drinking (which means that the water becomes dirty fast!), some feel compelled to splash most of it out before taking a sip, some just paw the area around the water dish (as large and sturdy as I could find) before imbiding, and some choose to seek droplets of water from the bathroom tap... This means that more water gets strewn around than drunk. Therefore, I have to refill their giant bowl several times daily. Also, I have unfortunately placed the feeding area near my bath area, which means that each time I go to the toilet, I emerge to risk sliding on a wet floor. Maine Coons are famous for playing with water. I\'ve watched my kittens develop this trait--not learned, but hard-wired--and not found it a problem until now. Yes, I can move the feeding station (although in a Tokyo apartment, there\'s not that much room). I\'m basically just interested to know if anyone else has similar water problems, whatever breed you have.

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 30 January, 2009
    Yup, yup, yup, like you said, its a MC trait, Bumpurr does it. I have several dishes around the house, I too live in a small 1 bed. I put down a mat, similar to a bath mat, soft on the top, rubber on the underneath, and then I put down one of those plastic place mats. If he spills the water, playing with it, no big deal. Just wipe off the plastic place mat, and the mat can just dry, and not going to get on the carpet underneath, as the mat is rubber underneath. And I just change the water daily. :D:D:D:D:D:D:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 30 January, 2009
    Ah, but that\'s the problem. I have the sturdy water dish on a plastic tray (really meant, I think, as a doggy toilet, to be used with pet sheets), and yet they still splash the water at least a meter away, not to mention that those who choose to drink with paws inserted in the bowl end up tracking water all over the apartment. As for changing the water daily, I have to change it several times a day, since they either drink it up (or splash it around) in that time, or it is too dirty to drink due to numerous paws having been inserted. This has never happened to me before. Granted, I\'ve never taken care of eleven cats at one time... Oh...and I forgot to mention those who like to put their stuffed mousie toys in the water bowl. Yummy!!! Who knows what chemicals are being extruded by that?
  • Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    edited 1 February, 2009
    Toy mousies are best when soaked=; Silly humans should know this! I like to place wand toys in my water dish and then drag them around the house dripping !!!!!!!!!!!! Water is fun , its even more fun to watch Mama or Daddy get wet feet and complain about having to change it several times a day cause its dirty! Being a Maine Coon is sure fun!We are such creative cats!
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 1 February, 2009
    Sammie used to tap the surface of the water before she drank. I think it was because she didn\'t have very good depth perception due to one of her eyes having limited sight, but I could never be sure. She would also dig a little around the bowl before taking a drink. Alaidh, on the other hand, digs like crazy before drinking, but never gets her paws wet and never spills a drop. She\'s done this since she was a kitten and she\'s one month from 20 now. My sister\'s cat Katy - Katy\'s page - loves water. She used to play in the sink with her toys, and when she was a kitten living with me, she\'d drink from the water bowl with her two front paws submersed. Until recently, she would also drink from the tap. My sister would leave it dribbling for her, but she finally realised she was wasting water and broke Katy of the habit. Sammie was a Maine Coon, but neither Alaidh nor Katy are
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 1 February, 2009
    Yes! :)) Forgot about the toys showing up in the water. :)) Mine eat in their carriers, and when Smokey is done eating, she will put all her toys in her dish, it is too funny. :D Another MC trait, is digging in front of the water dish, which she does do, then she puts her paw in the water, and licks her paw. :D Maggie, you are a beautiful beautiful cat! Do you show? How far south do you get? Big show in Middletown NY the end of March, 450 cats. I will be there. :D
  • Robin PinkhamRobin Pinkham BangorMember Posts: 1,601
    edited 1 February, 2009
    Hi Bumpurr, No, My brother Loki and I don\'t go to shows. There is only about 1 show here in Maine and we would have been out of the kitten class by the time it came around during our 1st year . Mama figured we would not have had any chance to get used to being shown when we were young, so we get to simply be very beloved pets. Loki would probably love the attention of being a show cat. I on the other hand am really kind of shy. Plus I\'m happy drowning my toys in the water bowl and I wouldn\'t be able to do that at a show. I do like if Mama goes to observe the Nautica cat show and then brings me home new toys! Sammie- We all frequently touch the water before drinking- to check the level so our noses don\'t get wet. Loki is the one who paws it the most, and he loves to watch when Mama does the dishes. We like to place toys in the food dish too!
    edited 1 February, 2009
    Wet mousies! Wet mousies! That\'s the only way to enjoy them (other than hiding them under the refrigerator or sofa; the other day Meowmy found around a dozen that had been hidden for later delectation). :P
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 2 February, 2009
    Izzie LOVES water too! I use him as a bath pillow in the tub! He\'ll also lay in the sink and when I was babysitting and bathing my grandson in his little baby tub, Izzie always had to test the water first! He\'s also fascinated by the toidy. Why is it that Maine Coons are such fans of water?
  • Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited 2 February, 2009
    Wait a minute, I thought Maine Coons were cats. Are you sure you're not talking about my dog? :)) How about leaving water in the kitchen sink, only an inch or two so they can't splash as much? Or the bathtub? Or you could get a large rubber storage container, cut an entrance hole and put the water in there to keep the splashes in. You guys have so much fun. The thread about food wars, this one... my cats seem so boring now. And that's ok! :D
    edited 2 February, 2009
    Okay, I'll tell you about my brother, who can have a gruff exterior but is actually a sensitive guy. He married a lovely girl from Maine (hence my fascination for Maine Coons), and loves cats. BUT (you knew there was a "but" coming, right?), when they were in the process of moving and she was on one coast and he on the other...he would leave the cats alone and unattended (there may have been Friskies involved, for them if not him) for weeks at a time, all alone, with toilet water as their only source of hydration. (Obviously, he was not so stupid to do this while using Tidy Bowl.) Cats are fascinated by toilet water anyway, and this seemed to work for him and his cats. Would I do this? Certainly not! But there are now, still living today to tell the "tail," cats who spent several weeks drinking from the toilet.