Do You Ever Take Your Cat Anywhere?

Member Posts: 20
edited 31 January, 2009 in Behavior & Training
And by anywhere I mean Petco or Petsmart or somewhere else where a cat would be OK. I just brought my Mack to Petco, it was late so I knew that it would be pretty empty and I would just see how he did. He did great! He didn\'t like the car ride at all but he was so good in the store. He didn\'t try to bolt nor did he wail or freak out. I was just amazed at his great behavior somewhere new to him. I know Mack will get used to the car the more I drive with him, he just sat in my lap and I talked to him the whole time. The guy at Petco said they love it when cats come in because its something out of the ordinary. Do you take your cat to the pet store or anywhere else? Where else can I take him other than pet stores?

Comments

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 24 January, 2009
    Mack, you are very cute! Mom takes me places. I've gone to PetSmart and PetCo with her. Mom also shows me occasionally in CFA shows. Staying in hotel rooms for shows is fun - so much to explore... and I usually keep Mom up half the night MOL! Mom has also taken me to work and to the vets just to visit to socialize me and get me used to going out. I've also been to JC Penny to have some professional photos taken. I have a stroller and most people just assume Mom has a (human) baby in there... until they look closer! Mom has also taken me to the park for some nice outdoor strolls which is fun. Mom loves having me with her. You could also show in the Household Pet class in cat shows if you want to try it for fun.
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 24 January, 2009
    Yes! We have been to Pet Stores as well! Mom lets us pick out our own toys too....:)) We aren't spoiled at all....:))! I also used to go with mom to visit her parents, so car rides are not any big deal to me.....
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 24 January, 2009
    Meowma so wishes she could take me on vacation, but at my age she isn't going to try to make me adjust to it. I hate riding in the car, and Meowma is afraid someone might air-rage if I yowled in an airplane--so no trips for me. Meowma says if she ever gets a younger kitty, it will be learning to go everywhere with her.
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 24 January, 2009
    When Bishop was a kitten I would take him many places. I wanted him to be used to riding in the car. We would even go to the park w/ his leash on. He would mostly hide under my legs. I've taken them to my parents house numerous times...He is much calmer in the car than Lexus is but they are both not too bad. I take them out to the cabin (40 minutes away) and they get a bit anxious in the car. But really enjoy the cabin. They are indoor cats.
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    edited 24 January, 2009
    Ooops... I was going to say that putting your cat into a cat carrier may help calm them during the ride. I used to let Bishop have the free range of the car but he seems more calmer in the carrier. At first I missed him sitting on my lap while I was driving but I got over it =;
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 24 January, 2009
    We don't go to pet stores, but Gracie and I are both ok travelers, and we've stayed at hotels every time. We hate being in the carrier, but once mom lets us out (she has to, we complain too much), we find out quiet spots quickly, and try and enjoy the ride. I like riding under the backseat when dad folds it (he does it just for me). It's like having a fortress of solitude. I leave exploring in the car for when the car stops, unless I hear trucks. I don't like trucks, because their motors are too noisy. Here and there I've even eaten a little kibble and used the box (mom and dad have a cargo area, and they put a small, domed litter box there if we are traveling)! Gracie likes sitting as far up as she can manage, so mom and dad make sure to put a cat bed on top of a tall suitcase, and Gracie just loves to sit up there and sleep. Here and there she decides to be social, and when she does, she just strolls on mom's neck. :))! Sometimes she even decided to nap on mom's lap (usually, when dad drives). Gracie and I are from different cities: I was born where we now live (Austin, TX), and Gracie was born in Seattle! We moved up there for the summer, and mommy got Grace. Then when we came back, Gracie had her first (nearly) transcontinental car ride when she was still a kitten. She did pretty well, but we think it helps that Gracie was born at a rescue place that is near a highway: car noise does not bother her in the slightest. :)) Now, when it comes to hotels, I like them ok, but I would rather get somewhere and just stay there. I don't fight the carrier (mom says I've traveled so much that I must understand the difference between a home and a hotel :))), I just moan my displeasure for the record. Gracie loves exploring hotel rooms, and never wants to leave. It's the only times she is a pain about being in the carrier (at home, she could sleep in there all day!), and she lets you know that she is mad about it by yowling. I've travelled a lot more than her though, since it was easier for mom and dad to transport one cat than two. I've done about 4 or 5 day long or multiday car trips, vs. the 2 Gracie has been on. We're moving again, and hopefully for good this summer, and after that momma says no more car trips for a while.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 24 January, 2009
    Bumpurr is a show cat, he goes all over the east coast. Started training him when he was 8 weeks old, and started showing him when he was 4 months old. He travels very very well, some shows are up to 7 hrs one way. :D:D:D:D:D On occassion, I travel with one of my friends. She lets her cats loose in her truck when she travels by herself. I get very nervous when I ride with her. I make her put them back in their carriers when its my turn to drive. I don't want to be responsible, G forbid the cats get loose when we open the door, or open the window, or even worse, get in an accident, and the cats get loose. Hit a deer, coming back from a show in Lancaster PA, late at night, everything went flying forward, thankfully, it was all packed in pretty tight, and thank G, her cats were in their carriers, and not flying thru the windshield. And, it gets better, pulled over when I found a safe spot to check for damage, and over pulls another car, and 4 men, not dressed for sunday school, get out and walk towards our vehicle. Loose cats in the vehicle, could have been a disaster waiting to happen. ;)
  • Nicole JonesNicole Jones Fort CollinsMember Posts: 128
    edited 25 January, 2009
    Mom doesn't take us out to pet stores or places like that. When mom was a grad student, she would take us home with her over long breaks, so we would go on long car rides then. We also moved half-way across the country a few months ago.
  • Carrie JohnsonCarrie Johnson Iowa CityMember Posts: 230
    edited 26 January, 2009
    after i read this, i took Panda to the pet store with me to get her food today. poor thing was terrified. she was clawing me and making terrible noises. never trying that again lol :))
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 27 January, 2009
    Yeah, Right! When Oreo was a kitten he'd go everwhere with me, from the grocery store to the restaurant. No one ever said anything about him, other than he was super cute. I would usualy take him in my arms, or in a basket. Now, I can't even take him to the backyard!
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 27 January, 2009
    Alaidh comes with me on vacation every year at Christmas when I visit my parents - about 3000 miles/4500kms away. She travels very well and seems to love the attention she gets at the airport - she\'ll even take treats from people! Keep in mind, Alaidh will be 20 this coming March 1st. Keep in mind, Alaidh only started travelling this much when my other cat Sammie died - Alaidh was 14. Sammie was not a good traveller. I needed to sedate her when I came home from college every second weekend when she was only about 4 years old. Alaidh, on the other hand, would look out the window and enjoy the trip! That was a 4 hour drive. Alaidh\'s first long drive alone with me was a 10 hour drive to visit my parents when I lived on the opposite side of the country. She relaxed, slept and purred the entire trip. Alaidh at the Ottawa airport
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 27 January, 2009
    I have to admit that I\'ve never taken my cats out unless it was to the vet. :-/ (And once Delilah went to the groomers). My son used to travel from Charleston, W. Va. to Philadelphia with his cat sitting mostly on the dashboard, navigating. I\'m always afraid that, should one of my cats take off, I\'d never see him/her again. Even my dogs don\'t care to go to pet stores. It\'s sensory overload. The floors are slippery, thousands of new scents, sometimes some unfriendly dogs, etc. My social Springer is the only one who really enjoyed it and that was usually after she hyper- pooped in the middle of the aisle. |$| Boris and Gracie\'s pawrents have travelling with them down to a science. =;
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 27 January, 2009
    Mom took me to work with her every day untill I was 6 months. I was a total natural on the bus on the metro (subway) and in taxis. I would even join her if she had errands to run. Every body loved me. But as I got older mom noticed that I didn't like the bus too much anymore we think I developed motion sickness. Now we all go with mom to work but only when we have a vet appointment.
  • Paige CampbellPaige Campbell NanaimoMember Posts: 40
    edited 27 January, 2009
    Kado never goes anywhere. He does what we affectionatly call the death roll in carriers. Basically he grabs on to the door and rolls until it opens. He also does that thing where if you are carrying him he attacks your neck trying to get over your shoulder. :))
  •  Member Posts: 20
    edited 31 January, 2009
    I took Mack to Petsmart last night. He was a little more freaked because its way bigger than Petco, and probably a bunch more smells. He did pretty good, he just needed to be picked up and cuddled to calm him down. I was worried about a bad experience with a dog, he isn't afraid of dogs because my dog and him play fight all the time but I was worried some little yappy thing was going to go off on him and scare him. Only cried a few times in the care, marginally better than last time.