Landy\\\'s Legacy

Amanda MurphyAmanda Murphy ShelbyMember Posts: 4
On Tuesday September 5, I lost my beloved two year old cat, Landy, very suddenly and unexpectedly. Landy was rescued from the local landfill when she was about 6 weeks old. She was brought to the Humane Society shelter where I work. I fell in love with Landy while she was there and hoped to be able to keep her with me for another twenty years or so. Sadly, that was not to be. On Friday, I noticed that she was sleeping and lying around quite a bit but I tried not to be too paranoid about it and decided just to keep an eye on her over the weekend. She was still eating normally. She stayed the same over the weekend, lying around a lot, but nothing else to go on. On Monday, her breathing was heavier and she just looked like she didn’t feel right. I knew something was wrong, but I had no other symptoms to go on. She licked a spoon with some canned food on it, and ate some treats, but she refused bread, her usual favorite. Being Labor Day I assumed the vet’s office would be closed and I told her I’d take her first thing in the morning. I was hoping she was brewing a respiratory virus that would be easily cleared up with a round of antibiotics. On Tuesday morning, it became obvious something was very wrong. She could hardly stand and was meowing. It brought tears to my eyes to see her that way but I tried to be strong for her sake. I loaded her up and rushed over to vet, speaking positively to her. I was met with a grim face by the vet who told me we were beyond antibiotics at this point and she was very sick. She was severely anaemic and they told me to leave her for blood work. It would have to be done quickly as she was on the verge of collapsing. I kissed her and told her I loved her and then my baby was taken out of the room. I never got to see her again. I never got a call with good news that a problem was found which could be fixed. She died while the vet and tech were holding her. I was left with a rush of emotions. I was reeling from the shock. It was supposed to be a day like any other. I was not supposed to lose my two year old cat. I was not there with her when she passed. I was completely and utterly devastated. I felt the same things we all feel as pet parents when we lose one of our beloved babies. I was guilty that I hadn’t acted sooner, that I hadn’t taken any of the signs more seriously. I felt bad that I couldn’t have been taken in her place. I regretted not being there with her when she went. And most of all, I felt the overwhelming and profound sense of loss. I felt like I would drown in the weight of my despair at the loss of my friend, soul mate, and child. The autopsy later revealed that she had a thoracic abscess and the infection had caused her lungs to fill with fluid. There was no external wound so there was no way I could have known. But that didn’t make it hurt any less. So crushed and heartbroken at the loss of my Landy, I feel an intense need to turn her death into something positive. I refuse to sit by and let Landy’s life fade into the background. I think about how tragic it would have been if she had never been rescued from the landfill and had spent her life wild, hungry, and producing litters of unwanted kittens. Instead, she got to live in a safe home and have a mom who loved her. I know Landy would want others like her to have the same chance. She would want me to continue protecting and rescuing other animals. So, it is my goal to create a legacy for Landy; something to honor her memory and the memory of every beloved pet that has gone to the Bridge. I know many of you are feeling the same things over the loss of your own beloved animal companions. So, for all the furbabies living and deceased, for everyone who has loved an animal, for everyone who loves an animal today, for everyone who cares about animals, let’s all unite to do something for them. If everyone would give a donation, anything you can give, whether it’s 1$ or 1,000$, it really doesn’t matter. The point is to give something for animals. Our shelter relies mostly on donations to keep running and we have constant expenses. We spay and neuter everything that we take in, as well as doing all the vaccines, microchips, and providing medical care for illnesses and surgery when needed. We are a no kill shelter so we keep every animal as long as is necessary to find the perfect home. We can be seen at www.clevelandcountyhumanesociety.petfinder.org. We are also trying to raise money for a new shelter so we can house more abandoned animals. If anyone is interested in donating to our shelter, checks can be made out to CCHS and mailed to: 1609 East Marion Street PO Box 2432 Shelby, NC 28151 Please include a note letting us know that you read Landy’s story and you are contributing to her legacy of love. If you don’t want to donate to us then please find somewhere else to donate to. Consider the Humane Society of the United States the ASPCA, or Best Friends. Perhaps you have a local Humane Society shelter that could use your help. Choose a place that touches your heart. It could be a breed specific rescue, a feral cat rescue, horses, birds, small animals. The point is simply to give. Maybe you’ve already given in memory of your pet. Would you consider giving again? Perhaps you already give on a regular basis but would you be willing to give a little extra? It is my goal to spread Landy’s light all over the country, maybe even the world, and to raise an *insane* amount of money to help animals! Anyone who chooses to donate if you will please send an e-mail to: [email protected] I would like to keep track of everyone who makes a donation, where all of the donations go, and how much money is raised. Please feel free to include info on your own babies! I would love to know about the other lights being spread in addition to Landy’s! We can’t bring our babies back after we lose them, as much as we all want to. But they are at the Rainbow Bridge together, happy, healthy and waiting for us. And they will always know how much we love them. If only every animal could get the chance to know such love. I know this a crazy endeavour, but I believe that together we can make a big difference for animals! Thank you all!

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 September, 2009
  • Lowell VincentLowell Vincent ChildersburgMember Posts: 219
    edited 16 September, 2009
    I am saddened to learn of your loss. I lost my little princess, Brandy, on May 3rd. Her name is very similar to your friend. It's so hard to go through this.