He plays with his drink...

Nora ZamanNora Zaman Member Posts: 14
edited 9 February, 2009 in Behavior & Training
Okay...Nowi has this habit of toppling his water bowl (of course....the bowl is forever filled with fresh water)with his paws.He'd play with the bowl and cause all the water to be spilled out. How do I stop him from doing this?

Comments

• Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 25 January, 2009
    Hey Nowi, I do the same thing!!!!! I have ever since I was really little. I play so much that I can make a big mess. The other day mommy had a BIG fall because of it. Some people told mommy to buy a water fountain but she hadn't due to the famous money issues but she will as soon as she can afford it. People also say to get a heavey bottom bowl with rubber on it but the rubber scuffs and I still manage to get water every wear. Play on DUDE=;
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 25 January, 2009
    Thats just something kittens do, mol, Bumpurr did. :D They make pet bowls, that don't tip over, was trying to find you a picture, as its kinda hard to describe, mol. You can find them at any pet store, or at any grocery store. Its not like the normal dishes/bowls, like you or I would eat out of, and they tip them over, Bumpurr used to tip his over at shows, then his cage is wet. They kinda flare out, for lack of a better word, and they can't tip them over. They come in all sizes and are inexpensive. Look around at the grocery store, in the pet section, you will see them, or go to petsmart, and ask for the bowls they can't tip over. You could go the water fountain route, have no experience with them, so don't know if they could tip them over, mol, but they are pretty expensive, run $40-$70. Hope this helps. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Hey, go to the kitten section, check out the Catster Prince and Princess post, vote for Nowi, or put up his story, so others may vote for him. =D>=D>
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 25 January, 2009
    No tip bowls might work. It depends on how determined your cat is. Boris will try to play with whatever bowl he gets (and apparently at 2 has not grown out of it). We had to go the fountain route because he tipped even heavy bottom, no tip bowls by dragging them until he could bump them into something. :-/ With fountains, however, there are too many heavy parts for him to do that (but the other day, I even caught him trying that - he didn't succeed, of course, but he will try it :))).
  • Jill LarsenJill Larsen Member Posts: 76
    edited 25 January, 2009
    I"m 4 years old and still love to tip the dish over. I wait and watch intently as my mom puts water in the bowl then sets it down. I let her get back to the couch before I tip it over then run when she starts coming. I don't think I will ever outgrow this habit.
  • Nora ZamanNora Zaman Member Posts: 14
    edited 29 January, 2009
    Thanx a bunch guys!! Sigh...the weird thing is..when I filll up his bowl with kitty milk...tipping the bowl seems to be something he has never heard of. He's one weird and silly kitty!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 29 January, 2009
    Hi, NoWi! I\'ve gotten the Drinkwell fountains for both my cats (a smaller version) and the Big Dog fountain for my 3 dogs (which Izzie prefers over the cat one. Go Figure) If you find the sound of water splashing, don\'t get the Drinkwell. The dog\'s fountain is very noisy no matter how I adjust the flow. There is another one called a Petmate which is a lot quieter. But, Izzie drinks the water as it comes right out of the spigot in the fountain. Izzie once pushed a large stoneware crock of water off the kitchen counter! Before I got my Drinkwell, I went to Lowe\'s and purchased a roll of rubbery shelf liner (I think it\'s made by Rubbermaid), cut a plcemat sized piece and put the bowl on that. Not even Izzie could push the bowl off the counter then!
  • Jill LarsenJill Larsen Member Posts: 76
    edited 29 January, 2009
    ah ha!! If he tips the bowl with the water in it and not the milk then he's probably telling you he wants the milk instead of water:))!
  • Nora ZamanNora Zaman Member Posts: 14
    edited 2 February, 2009
    I'll say!I'm sooo heading to the pet store tomorrow to get a fountain!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 2 February, 2009
    I also put this on one of those sheets of rubber shelf liner (They\'re Contac not Rubbermaid) and are available at Lowe\'s and Home Depot. You can also use an non-slip rug pad. This helps to insulate against vibration. Be forewarned that these things are a pain to clean as you have to brush out the motor every few weeks. I think the bowl comes out of the Big Dog one, but it\'s not easy to get out and I\'m afraid to use force because it might crack. But, in the long run, I am satisfied with it and think it\'s worth the price.
  • Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    edited 2 February, 2009
    If you can't afford a fountain, or you don't like the sound, like my kitties, get a refillable bowl--it has an upside down water jug on the back that you fill and it automatically keeps the level up. Not only are they heavy enough to solve the water spillage problems (my Louie is a water bowl dragger), they don't plug in, don't make noise, and they cost less than $20. I got mine at Petsmart.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 2 February, 2009
    Oh, Louie, your mom is lucky. Our mom could never just do a water bowl with a reservoir. See, we like to wash our paws in our bowl, and Gracie seems to always shed more around water... So your bowl would never stay clean more than a half a day. Mom did get out water bowl so I wouldn't tip it, but now she also likes that she can refill it every other day instead of twice a day when she had to worry about making sure our water was clean.
  • MaynrysMaynrys Member Posts: 172
    edited 8 February, 2009
    I hope the fountain works out if that's the route you go. Our daddy got us a fountain and we all like it. At first, Snowflake was afraid - she is visually impaired so strange movements and sounds scare her easily. Eventually, she saw the others drinking out of it and now uses it without problems. Those of us who enjoy playing with water really love it. We can stick our paws in the stream, stare at it... oh, the fun goes on. We, however, have never been able to tip it over, not even over exuberant Kepler. Good luck, whatever route you try! Caly, Snowflake, Maynrys and Kepler
  • Audrey BlaszczykAudrey Blaszczyk MIMember Posts: 6
    edited 9 February, 2009
    Sassy started doing that a few months ago. I had the upside down 2 liter and she would dump the whole thing over at night and it would empty all over the kitchen floor. I tried different bowls, but she would splash if she couldn't dump it over. I think she liked seeing her relfection in the water or like the ripples... I read in a book that if you have a second bathroom where you might not use the shower, you can put a bowl in there and show them that it is okay to play in. I thought it was silly, but I have a second bathroom and put a bowl of water in it and put her in there and showed her she could touch it. She plays in it all the time!! And if she makes a mess, its just in the bathtub. Since then, she hasn't dumped over her water bowl in over two weeks! It is a little more work however because she now drinks out of both dishes, but for some reason thinks its more fun to make a mess in the tub!=D>