outraged at swiss cat fur

Candice MyerscoughCandice Myerscough Member Posts: 8
edited 16 February, 2009 in Laws & Legislation
dont know if this is the right forum for this but i have to put it somewhere i discovered yesterday thanks to Alley cat rescue in the USA whilst trying to be a responsible pet owner in a new country that if your cat is more than 200yds from your home in switzerland (europe) it can be trapped and killed and its fur sold for making clothing blankets etc as the old wives tale is that it helps arthritis and some admit to eating whats left! when the same country makes you pass 2 tests to own a dog or if you have a social animal you have to have more than one. How can this be civilised behaviour we are not living in a third world country and i now feel very unsure about even letting her on the patio. How could i have not known this before i moved her here! Outraged at swiss cat fur

Comments

• janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 30 January, 2009
    Well, I hope you aren't letting Cloudy go out! Have you verified from the local authorities that this is true? Sometimes, rumors get started and take on a life of their owm. So, find out--and please post here if it's true; I'd like to know if it is!
  • Candice MyerscoughCandice Myerscough Member Posts: 8
    edited 30 January, 2009
    Thanks for your reply unfortunately the 77,100 results that come up for cat fur topic, some accompanied with pictures and ref. to what the swiss economy minister had to say about it to the Switzerland upper house of parliament and this is dated today by a french news site. I think it's all to real sadly!
  • Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 30 January, 2009
    That's horrible! Sadly, a lot of countries eat cat (and dog) and, while we'll never understand it- it's their custom, so we can't do much about it. However, I will NEVER understand or accept that some countries steal pets to use for fur and/or food. That's just heartbreaking and it scares me from visiting such places. And I would really love to. :(( I don't let my cats outside, anyway. But, if I lived there, I certainly wouldn't at all.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 February, 2009
    In some states of the U.S. it is legal to shoot cats who are roaming outside their humans' property. This is allowed under the guise of controlling feral populations. I'm not sure what the shooters do after killing a cat (eat him/her, sell the fur, etc.).:-O:-#
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 1 February, 2009
    Cloudy, could you give us a link to that news site? I'd like to check it out.
  • Candice MyerscoughCandice Myerscough Member Posts: 8
    edited 2 February, 2009
    Hi Boo Boo the link is below let me know if you have problems getting in it wont always access www.france24.com/en/20080918-switzerland-ban-trade-cat-skins-animal-fur-europe&navi=EUROPE I have decided staying inside and looking at all the cats on here is far better than going out so at least i will be safe! Cloudy
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 16 February, 2009
    Totally off-topic, but the most prominent of traditional musical instruments in Japan is the shamisen, which sort of looks like a guitar, but has a box-shaped body that is covered with animal skin. It is not plucked; rather, the strings are hit by a large, heavy plectrum. The result is that the shamisen is not just a melodic instrument, but in some senses, a percussion instrument, too. All very well and good...but traditionally, the skin used to cover the shamisen body was cat skin. Cheaper, practice-level shamisens use dog skin, which is a bit stronger (changes in humidity, for example, can cause the skin to split). In the past, there were often rumors of shamisen makers wandering around at night and kidnapping cats for their skins. I suspect that nowadays, the skins are imported (like everything else) from China, but shamisens continue to be covered with either cat or dog skin. What makes things even worse is that while students can use wooden or plastic plectrums (and these plectrums are both big and heavy), a professional level plectrum must be made of elephant ivory. These are not just quaint customs. A shamisen made with cat skin and played with an ivory plectrum produces the sounds of traditional music; substituting plastic for either the skin or the plectrum produces an entirely different sound, which may be fine for amateurs, but which is not suited to professional musicians, be they independent performers or the people who accompany kabuki and bunraku, two of Japan\'s (and the world\'s) greatest forms of theater. So...how does one reconcile the fact that shamisen music, and, by extension, kabuki and bunraku, would not be the same if cat skin and ivory were not being used? One can\'t, really. I think that this is yet another area where one has to shut one\'s eyes to the realities of the situation (as one does when eating a steak; don\'t think about how Mr. Steer died), and just hope that the cats are being killed humanely, and that (as is claimed) the ivory that is being used is actually old ivory that was cut from elephants long ago. This is not a question with a simple answer. Anyway, this is not about Swiss cat fur, but an example of how cat skins are used in a way that most non-Japanese are not aware of. :-k